shape
carat
color
clarity

Mikimoto Studs Grading In Japan

bigarade

Rough_Rock
Before I get to my question, a huge thank you to the treasure trove of pearl and Mikimoto information on here from yssie and other posters =)2

I’m hoping to purchase the classic akoya studs in YG (7.25 / 7.5mm) in Japan, but have seen mentioned briefly here that they don’t grade studs in Asian boutiques. This was confirmed when I enquired via the Japanese website and received these replies:
IMG_6835.jpeg
IMG_6837.jpeg

Unlike the UK / US etc. websites, there’s only a drop down menu for the size, but none for the grading. When asked how they would compare with the Japanese necklace grades especially if I were to later buy one to match (best of the best, premium, Mikimoto quality), I simply received the above response…

Anyone have any experience purchasing studs from Japan / a more specific idea of what “top quality” implies? Would it be A+ like the pearls they use for their general designs?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How… Unhelpful :???: BOTB and Premium are different quality grades and I wouldn’t be happy about paying the same price for both…

What piece does the PE-2CK SKU reference?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@love_pearls may have additional insight as she has experience with Mikimoto in East Asia.

uwodahikamama

Rough_Rock
I thought Best of the Best was AAA and Premium was AA? That’s how I’ve seen it used in the states anyway. However those are 2 very different grades and price points.
It sounds like they are saying your earrings are their top quality, and good enough to match both the AAA and AA necklaces?
I’d love to see someone confirm what this means. I’ve been wondering about Mikimoto grading for some time!

bigarade

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all your input! At one point I started wondering if I was being too pedantic about the grading, but you’re right, AA and AAA are very different price points and for my first purchase I want to be as informed and mindclean as possible.

How… Unhelpful :???: BOTB and Premium are different quality grades and I wouldn’t be happy about paying the same price for both…

What piece does the PE-2CK SKU reference?

The item no. refers to the 7.25mm studs below:
IMG_6869.jpeg

The “C” seems to refer to the size, so for the 7.5mm it would be PE-2DK. I mean, ultimately I can just ask a boutique to show me their Best of the Best and Premium strands, and all their available studs to compare… but I haven’t yet finalised which boutique I’d visit in Kyoto/Osaka and I probably only have time for one, so it’s possible they wouldn’t have that much stock for me to choose from anyway…

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results