shape
carat
color
clarity

Mikimoto Advice

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
Incredible! They glow! I'm honestly speechless by hpw beautiful they are! I hope your wife loves it
Happy Hanukkah

EyeMD

Rough_Rock
Yes, they seem to be “working” in a variety of settings.

My wife doesn’t seem to want to take them off and has found some way to wear them almost every day!

HenrietteBN

Rough_Rock
Hello, I am EyeMD's wife and grateful for you helping him! I love them!
This year he surprised me this year with a beautiful 35" strand of Mikimoto A 8x9 akoyas. However, since I am petite, the ideal strand is 32" for me, and the pearls are bigger than my princess strand. I could get the current strand shortened, or, I could potentially exchange them for a 32" strand of 7.5 - 8.0mm pearls, and a lace collar which I have been eying. What to do? Here is my princess strand with the current opera pearls.
IMG_0969.jpeg
Here is the strand doubled up with my princess, which is how I would probably wear it the most.

IMG_0970.jpeg

If I do exchange it for the smaller pearl strand, then I could also get one of these collars. I initially liked the smaller one since I could wear it during the day or dressed up, but when I think about it, it probably serves the same function as a double or triple strand. The bigger collar is much dressier and has a little sparkle with a few diamonds.
image2.jpeg image0.jpeg

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
First, congratulations on the wonderful husband with good taste and such magnificent pearls. I do love the bottom collar necklace with diamonds. However, this is certainly a dressy necklace that will make great sense if it fits your lifestyle. The pearls are so beautiful.

However, the 3-strand doubled up and the more formal necklace does have some visual similarity. You could also look at other pearl types such as fabulous Tahitians and or South Sea pearls. You may not care for them, may already have them, and if so, please disregard.

Most of us here do have several types of pearls (the rabbit hole of options awaits!). I have coloring like yours and love colorful Tahitians in the summer.

By the way - WELCOME! and thank you for returning with more pictures so we can appreciate your lovely necklace.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
This year he surprised me this year with a beautiful 35" strand of Mikimoto A 8x9 akoyas. However, since I am petite, the ideal strand is 32" for me, and the pearls are bigger than my princess strand. I could get the current strand shortened, or, I could potentially exchange them for a 32" strand of 7.5 - 8.0mm pearls, and a lace collar which I have been eying. What to do? Here is my princess strand with the current opera pearls.
IMG_0969.jpeg
Here is the strand doubled up with my princess, which is how I would probably wear it the most.

IMG_0970.jpeg

If I do exchange it for the smaller pearl strand, then I could also get one of these collars. I initially liked the smaller one since I could wear it during the day or dressed up, but when I think about it, it probably serves the same function as a double or triple strand. The bigger collar is much dressier and has a little sparkle with a few diamonds.
image2.jpeg image0.jpeg

wow !
and a very merry christmas to you both
thank you for telling us the continuation of this thread

i love the long strand
i was watching the dowton abby movie on tv last night and i was drooling over the very long necklases
but that collar is TDF !!

but one thing to keep forfront in your mind
pearl shrinkage is a real think
so i would not go to a smaller diamater pearl

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMG_0969.jpeg

IMG_0970.jpeg

image2.jpeg image0.jpeg
I remember your husband's surprise well ::)

Here's my take. Mikimoto has the best akoya that oysters can produce... Mikimoto's AAA/Reserve are the best that there can be. If you want the best that there can be, your choices are Mikimoto AAA/Reserve or Mikimoto AAA/Reserve.
(I should qualify that - a boutique operation can certainly find pearls that are quality matches with Mikimoto AAA/Reserve, I've seen it happen a couple of times, but I don't believe anyone is ever going to be able to beat or even match Mikimoto's best with any regularity, especially in these larger sizes! Mikimoto owns the top end akoya market.)

For grades under AAA, for plain pearl strands and studs, I prefer to shop elsewhere because at that point all Mikimoto offers is the brand name and a beautiful (branded) clasp. Pearls in the 8-9mm size that are equivalent in quality to Mikimoto A, A+, and AA can be purchased elsewhere for significantly less than Mikimoto's premium, if one is willing to do a little legwork.

For you, then, since you're not entirely happy with the 35" length or the pearl size, if you and your husband are both comfortable with an exchange, I would choose something that's unique to Mikimoto. Either a quality unique to Mikimoto or a design unique to Mikimoto - something that you couldn't get anywhere else. Another AAA/Reserve strand, or a pair of AAA studs, or one of the collars.

Please let us know what you decide!! You have so many beautiful options! :love:

Last edited:

HenrietteBN

Rough_Rock
I remember your husband's surprise well ::)

Here's my take. Mikimoto has the best akoya that oysters can produce... Mikimoto's AAA/Reserve are the best that there can be. If you want the best that there can be, your choices are Mikimoto AAA/Reserve or Mikimoto AAA/Reserve.
(I should qualify that - a boutique operation can certainly find pearls that are quality matches with Mikimoto AAA/Reserve, I've seen it happen a couple of times, but I don't believe anyone is ever going to be able to beat or even match Mikimoto's best with any regularity, especially in these larger sizes! Mikimoto owns the top end akoya market.)

For grades under AAA, for plain pearl strands and studs, I prefer to shop elsewhere because at that point all Mikimoto offers is the brand name and a beautiful (branded) clasp. Pearls in the 8-9mm size that are equivalent in quality to Mikimoto A, A+, and AA can be purchased elsewhere for significantly less than Mikimoto's premium, if one is willing to do a little legwork.

For you, then, since you're not entirely happy with the 35" length or the pearl size, if you and your husband are both comfortable with an exchange, I would choose something that's unique to Mikimoto. Either a quality unique to Mikimoto or a design unique to Mikimoto - something that you couldn't get anywhere else. Another AAA/Reserve strand, or a pair of AAA studs, or one of the collars.

Please let us know what you decide!! You have so many beautiful options! :love:

Thank you @yssie! You’ve provided great advice (to my husband too) and articulated a lot of my vague ideas. I will check out PP and some of the others for longer strands. Merry Christmas!

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Thank you for the lovely photos - The pearls are glorious ! You will never go wrong with Mikimoto ! Such a beautiful gift and I'm so impressed that your DH went out of his way to research his purchase... he wanted the best for you..and the best he got !

HenrietteBN

Rough_Rock
Thank you for all your advice! We went to the Mikimoto NYC this weekend, and I ended up turning my Reserve Princess into a choker length. (by the way, the store is very low on stock after the holiday and Valentine's Day rush). This will let me wear either strand singly, together, the long necklace as a double or both necklaces as a triple with the smaller reserve as the top strand (I had photographed it as a bottom strand). I'm a little sad about turning it into a choker, but that is actually my favorite length. It gives me 6 pearls to play with - I can have them turned into earrings or a bracelet. Or just hold onto them in case I decide I made a mistake and need a princess after all!

love_pearls

Shiny_Rock
Look at the popularity of the Mikimoto brand.

So many were cheering and excited about members here purchasing from Mikimoto.

Just because you don't purchase from Mikimoto doesn't mean others' purchase is a foolish or bad decision.

Last edited:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Look at the popularity of the Mikimoto brand.

So many were cheering and excited about members here purchasing from Mikimoto.

Just because you don't purchase from Mikimoto doesn't mean others' purchase is a foolish or bad decision.

No one here ever said that purchasing from elsewhere was foolish or a bad choice.

love_pearls

Shiny_Rock
No one here ever said that purchasing from elsewhere was foolish or a bad choice.

The message was very subtle, you had to actually experience it in order to feel it.

Anyway, I don't want to argue.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The message was very subtle, you had to actually experience it in order to feel it.

Anyway, I don't want to argue.

You don't want to argue, except you've commented on almost every thread with the word "mikimoto" or "takahashi" in it. Just stop.

love_pearls

Shiny_Rock
You don't want to argue, except you've commented on almost every thread with the word "mikimoto" or "takahashi" in it. Just stop.

You are also following me.

Thank you

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You are also following me.

Thank you

Lol. Amazing what people will do for attention. I am calling you out for ridiculous behavior, not following you.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results