shape
carat
color
clarity

middle finger vs ring finger size?

flamingoezz

Shiny_Rock
i have a ring my GF wears on her middle finger. i know it is slightly looser on her ring finger. is there a rule of thumb (no pun intended) for difference in size between those two fingers?

the gap height when wearing on her ring finger is enough to spin the ring around...probably could fit a couple slivers of paper in the gap..is that like 1/4 size or 1/2?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is not a very accurate way to decide on ring size. Is it a ring she wears on her left hand? I'd say at least a full size smaller, but you won't likely get her true size this way.

flamingoezz

Shiny_Rock
yes..she wore it on her left hand, and i was playing with it and put it on her ring finger. i know the ring finger is slightly smaller. it wasn't like an huge gap or anything...so i guess my question might be more in relation to ring sizes than finger sizes. is the difference in a 1/4 size a microscopic difference or something you'd be able to see?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I dont know if there is a rule of thumb but from personal experience. Engagement ring sits loosely (to the point where I may need to resize it but I may not, im waiting for summer to see if the hot summer swelling will make it the perfect size) and when i try it on my middle finger its a half size too small. So my math would a 7.25 ring is is too big for my current ring finger so should probably be a 7, and is too small for my middle finger so should probably be a 7.5. So that would be a half size difference for me :wavey:

ETA I think this is a very smart move if your trying to surprise her, better than nothing at all :)

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
Is there any way you could borrow the ring for long enough to take it to a jewelry store to see the size?

I can't be sure but from your description, it sounds like half a size or so. It hard to say. For instance my ring finger and middle finger are almost 2 sizes different. I wear a 5.75 on one and 7.5 on the other.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think this will vary from person to person. For me, there is a 1 size difference.

flamingoezz

Shiny_Rock
Shouldn't be a problem to size the ring i discussed. she doesn't have a ring she wears on her ring finger though. this is the best i've got.

maybe I can try on some rings at a jeweler myself to simulate the gap, and calculate a size estimate by that. it may not be EXACT but close enough to resize.

bastetcat|1355339191|3329568 said:
Is there any way you could borrow the ring for long enough to take it to a jewelry store to see the size?

I can't be sure but from your description, it sounds like half a size or so. It hard to say. For instance my ring finger and middle finger are almost 2 sizes different. I wear a 5.75 on one and 7.5 on the other.

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
flamingoezz|1355339610|3329574 said:
Shouldn't be a problem to size the ring i discussed. she doesn't have a ring she wears on her ring finger though. this is the best i've got.

maybe I can try on some rings at a jeweler myself to simulate the gap, and calculate a size estimate by that. it may not be EXACT but close enough to resize.

bastetcat|1355339191|3329568 said:

Something like thatight be helpful. Maybe you could try that one on yourself or one she wears on her ring finger and try to reverse engineer from there. And while you may have a ring chosen that can be sized, I always say the less cutting you have to do the better. I think it's easier on a piece if you've only got half a size to fix than say, 2 or 3 sizes. That's just my thought though.

Good luck with the sneaking around!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
1 full size lower may be about average. That is what I would choose.

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'm one size different from the ring finger to the middle finger on my left and 1.5 different on my right.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It really depends on the person. My middle fingers are both size 6, my left ring finger is a 4.5 but my right ring finger is a 5. So on my right hand the middle finger is 1 size bigger but on the left hand it's 1.5 sizes bigger.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I am just a bit over 1 size smaller.

flamingoezz

Shiny_Rock
ok, i found her to be right around 5.5

now another question comes to mind. its december, and i've read that in winter, your size is normally smaller than summer. should i order a 5.75 to be safe?

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My opinion? No. Go with the 5.5

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results