shape
carat
color
clarity

Microderamabrasion

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
wow.. not even sure that is spelled right. Well, here is the deal... I have very large pores on my nose and I have always had problems with balckheads.. since I was a teenager. It does not matter what I wash my face with... it is still a problem. Sometimes I think there is dirt in my pores from 17 years ago... ugh.

They are probably not as noticable as I take them to be.. however, I wanted to find a way to elimnate this, shrink my pores.. etc. Any suggestions? I heard something about Microdermabrasion... am I saying that right? What is it? Does it work? Anyone done it? Will it do what I am looking for? Should I go to a dermatologist? OR should I look into something else? Suggestions?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Possible try the L''oreal microdermabrasion kit and the Renoviste peel to see if that helps any first. Use one or the other though, not both at the same time. I find these really brighten up your skin and may be worth trying. Maybe some others may have had good results with these?

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
Thanks!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
The BEST one I have used is by Mary Kay. BUT I don''t like Step 2. I LOOOOOVE Step1 which is the scrubby part. The step 2 is just a serum. I buy step 1 in bulk.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
mine...unfortunately, there is no way to permanently shrink your pores...but you can minimize them...on a daily basis, wear a light/translucent powder...it really works... I've read a lot about the Olay peel....check it out on Makeupalley.com

Also, I would use an alpha hydroxy lotion and/or salicylic acid treatment daily. Peter Thomas Roth max complexion pads are great...I recently started using them on my arms for smooth skin....you can find them on ebay for 18 bucks and they have 60 pads...I'm usually not into spending money on stuff like this b/c I find that drugstore stuff works great, but I really like this. It is an alpha beta treatment that has a proper ph so that it maximizes exfoliation which keeps the pores clean...

Also, on makeupalley you'll see a lot about an asprin mask that you can make... (interestingly, asprin = salicylic acid! who knew!) they say it's absolutely amazing!

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Mine, this is one review from makeupalley:

"omg i am in love with this.i just poured some water into a bottle of aspirin and mushed it up using a chopstick.i then figured i could continue toning downt eh redness so i poured insome pure tea tree oil too.i think it was quite diluted enough,but anyways,i then applied it to my face,adding a bit more water cause it just was a bit thick. i waited about 10 minutes and when i washed it away,my skin was so beautiful!and the best part?that i couldnt even see my blackheads anymore.i was looking in the mirror to see how the results were and was so suprised when i didnt see any blackheads.this is such a miracle product :]"

Also, of the people who used the olay micro peel, 100% would use it again...maybe I'll try it too...

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
OMG you are on MUA too???!

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
not really, are you? I have a username that lets me search...I like to find out how people feel about perfume I like...to see if i stink LOL... I check out a few other things but I don''t really buy too much makeup...

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes I am. I used to post ALL the time, I don''t now very much, I use it to get reviews now.

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
I was given a microdermabrasion kit by my mother who had the same one. It''s made by Dermanew and it''s fabulous! My skin feels so soft and refreshed after using it. The blackheads disappear and my skin has an amazing glow after I use it. The only down side is it is a very expensive kit and the refills are also very expensive. Cheaper than getting it done at the salon, but since then there have been other companies coming out with affordable products.

I''m a big fan of the Origins brand. They have a product called Modern Friction which I liked when given a mini-facial at the Origin''s store in the mall.

IrishEyes

Brilliant_Rock
I''m going to have to check some of this stuff out myself - I have the huge pore problem on my chin! Thanks for all the recommendations!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/8/2005 10:07:18 PM
Author: moremoremore
Mine, this is one review from makeupalley:

''omg i am in love with this.i just poured some water into a bottle of aspirin and mushed it up using a chopstick.i then figured i could continue toning downt eh redness so i poured insome pure tea tree oil too.i think it was quite diluted enough,but anyways,i then applied it to my face,adding a bit more water cause it just was a bit thick. i waited about 10 minutes and when i washed it away,my skin was so beautiful!and the best part?that i couldnt even see my blackheads anymore.i was looking in the mirror to see how the results were and was so suprised when i didnt see any blackheads.this is such a miracle product :]''

Also, of the people who used the olay micro peel, 100% would use it again...maybe I''ll try it too...
I am going to try this carefully and do a patch test, makes sense. My skin has been through a lot through the years. The worst was a home chemical peel a few years ago, that was scary!!!!
40.gif
The skin was peeling off my face like I had a bad sunburn but I did look purty afterwards
3.gif
I wouldn''t do it now though
17.gif

Libster

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve been patiently waiting for Dr. Patricia Wexler''s new skincare kit to come out on 10/17/05. She is a premier dermatologist in NYC!! Here is a link to her website discussing the product "The Universal Anti-Aging Solution - Starter Kit" The kits are to be available at select stores, including Bath and Body Works.
http://www.patriciawexlermd.com/main/browse.do?nav_keyword=product

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Libster, me too. I read about her line and went into my local store. They said only the flagship stores would get the line. So here in Houston that means at our Galleria. I would love an appt. with her one day in NYC.

I used Alpha Hydox for years, but it is very hard to find anymore. I tried Dr. Pericone''s line. I had enough samples to last about a month and I have to say I guess I saw a difference, but never will I pay that kind of money for skincare. So now it is just Oil of Olay''s line. I recently tried their warming scrub - neat sensation.

I want to know more about the Asprin thing. Is it just 1 asprin in water or an entire bottle(sounds crazy), more info!!!!!!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i have not tried this yet...read about it on another forum a couple of months back re long hair care....but they also had threads re skin care.

anyway, the consensus seemed to be to crush 4-6 aspirins and add HONEY as the binder. the idea is that the honey will cause the powdered aspirin to adhere to the skin rather than flaking off if one used only water.

i haven''t tried it yet because i don''t have aspirin in the house: i''m relatively headache free and find that the herb feverfew takes care of them for me; on the other had, my husband has better luck with willow bark. btw, willow bark is what bayer used initially [and i think still does] as the active ingredient in its aspirin.

peace, movie zombie

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the recipe MZ! interesting, I watch my horses seek out willow, we have a tree in their field, if they need it for painkilling purposes. I will try the " recipe" soon and see how it works.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I use the CP serum from Skinbio.com and a moisturizer made mostly from olive oil. I also bought a microdermabrasion kit by Nutrogena (from drugstore.com) and have used it for two months. I love it!! It hasn''t erased the pores but it has blurred them and they don''t look as large. My skin is softer and clearer than it''s ever been. Choice of cosmetics is important too. Some products enhance rather than hide certain imperfections. I switched to Bare Escentuals and particularly like the mineral veil which really minimizes the look of pores & wrinkles. Some folks don''t like BE but it works for my skin issues.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/10/2005 12:55:50 PM
Author: movie zombie
see if this thread opens for you:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=29431

lots of info re ''the aspirin mask''. if it doesn''t open, let me know and i''ll do a cut/paste of useful info.

peace, movie zombie

Thanks Movie Zombie - worked great and interesting site too
3.gif
I think I will try the aspirin/ water mix first. I will let you know how it works, need to go and hit the drugstore
9.gif

marvel

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve done microdermabrasion and love it. It should be done by a professional. The over the counter kits are just not that same. I would go to a dermatologist, have facials with extractions, do the microdermation, and find a good daily cleansing plan.

That''s just my two cents, and you''ve over paid if you shelled out the two cents
emwink.gif

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i had mirodermabrasion done in conjunction with facials particularly to address my ''sun spot/age spot'' high on my cheek bone and near my eye. unfortunately, it is actually now bigger...... this could be due to past sun damage and/or more sun damage done after the procedure.

i have such a spot on my right hand that i''ve had since i was 21....continued exposure to the sun but no microdermabrasion and it has not changed in size or color.

so by way of comparison, i''ve decided to forego the procedure as regards trying to remove spots.

peace, movie zombie

eta: glad the other thread is proving useful....i originally found the website as i was researching long hair care........

cnspotts

Brilliant_Rock
MINE!! Let me add that there is nothing better than having a professional assess your skin and TEACH you how to care for it. I've worked in the spa industry for years now and my skin is really nice at 40 because I've gotten advice and instruction from the pros I've worked with. A monthly facial can do wonders for you skin and self esteem as well,there's nothing like glowing skin. My last aestetican thought I was 25 based on the appearance of my skin, whoo hooo! I've also found that the less I do to my skin the better it looks.

Microderm is probably not what you're looking for. It sounds like you need a proper line of skin care, maybe a gentle lactic acid peel also. That will go a long way to cleansing and reducing pore size. Remember most of your options are not a ONE TIME fix, you'll have to find what works for your skin with the help of someone properly trained to do that. There are GREAT product lines out there designed to do what you need. Two of my favs are Skin Ceuticals, and Kerstin Florian.

I don't use all the hyped up formulas that are sold by nearly every skin care company but I do use generic oil of olay, daily. I mix a bit of it with my foundation for tint then apply make up. But nothing looks good if the skin underneath isn't smooth and silky to begin with.

A pro will talior a treatment regime to fit your needs, that won't come from a box at the local store. They'll also know what YOUR skin NEEDs. It's well worth it, I promise! I've always had medium sized pores but I'm not bothered by them these days.

I apologize for any spelling....I've got to run now.

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
MINE!!

Cspotts gave you some fantastic advice. The package stuff in the stores are great, handy, and inexpensive. They are also weaker strength that what a professional uses. They can''t afford the liability for the impatient consumer. You can''t use these everyday. You need to wait until you skin renews...between applications. They know the consumer has to have results by the weekend prom...and a strong solution used everyday...would render her faceless!! So it is very very very weak.

Please take her advice, first go to a professional. You could make an apointment with a dermotologist-or an less expensive appointment with an aestetician as mentioned. I go to a medical aestetician as apposed to a cosmetic aestician. The medical is the choice the dermatologist chooses to be in their office. Mine charges me $55 to 75 depending on the serivce she performs. I get chemical peels that are either salycitic (sp)acid or glycolic acid-she makes the choice when she sees my condition. Again same stuff as the previous posts mentioned...only full strength or HIGHER OCTANE! Faster results...Deeper into the dermal layer-with a professional application.

My poor size was not what I wanted either. The aestetician explained continual peels...would affect the pores the following; Picture your pores as a cereal bowl...the first peel wiill remove the top lip of the bowl...the next peel will remove the upper edge..next the middle wall...the next...so forth and so on. This result for me happened over 6 visits every 2 weeks. (visible results in first visit!! Honest) Our skin is continally renewing. We deskin about every 15 days ...depending on our age maybe longer if older. She will explain this to you on your visit. She will also show you how to extract those Bheads. The chemical peel will lessen those and by about the 3rd visit you will lessen them by 50 %.

AS you progress, you can get your pores to appear like a saucer instead of a bowl. At this point you will be able to compare your results with those who have had microdermabrasion...and in your case I think you will be pleased you went with chem peels instead. All techniques have their benefits...some are for wrinkles, age spots, sun damage, pore size, acne issues...

Go to a professional first. Try just one visit. Hope you stay in for the long hall. Because only after 6 visits...you''ll start going every month and a half...then maybe twice a year.

Do try it. You won''t be disappointed. My pores are no longer cereal bowls!!

Door Knob

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
WOW>... Thank you everyone for the awesome advice. Cnspotts and Doorknob... Thank you so much, I am going to make a appointment with a derm. sometime this week.

MZ.. thanks for the link

Thank you everyone for your opinions of other products.. I am going to look those up and research them... thanks for your advice.

The asprin thing sounds very interesting.

Thanks again everyone!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK Mine and MZ, I have hit the drugstore and purchased a large bottle of aspirin
9.gif

Tonight's the Night, I hope it'll be alright
32.gif

One aspirin mask coming up! I will let you know how it goes, fingers crossed my face doesn't drop off
14.gif
6.gif

Just teasing!
3.gif

ETA - it's done. Very easy to do, doesn't sting or feel uncomfortable in any way. My skin looks and feels great, I would definitely do it again, the results are as good as anything I have bought. Big thumbs up so far, also might be good on problem areas such as nose or chin without treating the whole face. Impressed!
9.gif

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/12/2005 8:54:00 AM
Author: Lorelei

ETA - it''s done. Very easy to do, doesn''t sting or feel uncomfortable in any way. My skin looks and feels great, I would definitely do it again, the results are as good as anything I have bought. Big thumbs up so far, also might be good on problem areas such as nose or chin without treating the whole face. Impressed!
9.gif

thanks for posting the results! i will now find myself purchasing drug store aspirin and giving it a try. did you use honey with it or just plain water?

peace, movie zombie

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Has anyone used Vitamic C products to do what I think alpha hydroxy has in the past? I read something about that and I use a La Prairie C Serum that tingles and burns a bit when I put it on...who knows what it's really doing but I like it.
2.gif

ETA: actually I meant the Rexturizing Product from La Prairie..aka this product which I use daily as well:

Straight from Switzerland, this high-tech treatment gently sloughs off surface cells to reveal healthy ones underneath. The alpha and beta hydroxy treatment fights wrinkles and lines with a non-irritating surface exfoliant.

So what does Vit C do vs something like Alpha / beta hydroxy?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/15/2005 1:34:21 PM
Author: movie zombie

Date: 10/12/2005 8:54:00 AM
Author: Lorelei

ETA - it''s done. Very easy to do, doesn''t sting or feel uncomfortable in any way. My skin looks and feels great, I would definitely do it again, the results are as good as anything I have bought. Big thumbs up so far, also might be good on problem areas such as nose or chin without treating the whole face. Impressed!
9.gif

thanks for posting the results! i will now find myself purchasing drug store aspirin and giving it a try. did you use honey with it or just plain water?

peace, movie zombie
I crushed the aspirin then added some hot water from the kettle to make a paste similar to that of whipped cream. I then added a squirt of Cetaphil cleanser as I was out of honey. My skin still feels great! I think you would need some sort of "oil" in it to stop it from drying and flaking off.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
I''m so glad you guys like the asprin mask...Sometimes the cheapest method is the most effective...! I read about it over ad over again online and can you believe I''ve yet to try it LOL... Maybe this week....

I find that nothing exfoliates like Keralyt. I get it on ebay and it''s amazing. For everything from the face to arms to elbows to feet!

cnspotts

Brilliant_Rock
Mara,

Here''s a bit of info about vit C. The chemist at Skin Ceuticals holds the patent for L-asorbic acid, the molecular structure being small enough to actually do what what it''s claimed to do. Our product education instructor says that yes, other companys also have Vit C products but either the molecules are too large or they are not stable long enough to make the cost of their products worthwhile. It''s one reason that their Vit C is sold as a sercum individually instead of being mixed into other products. You''ll get the maximum benefit by using "serums" this way. Serums are the smallest molecular structures, the thinnest products, you will get the most benefit by using them in this form. When doing a skin care regime products should be applied thinnest to thickest in texture to the face. I certainly can''t complain, I love Skin C''s stuff.

Vit C products is an antioxidant that helps prevent UVA/UVB damage and stimulates collagen production (connective tissue) which gives skin that plump youthful look.

AHA products cause the skin to exfoliate, renew itself.

salicylic acid (a form of the active ingredient in asprin, comes from white willow bark) used in many many OTC skin care products at 2% strength. more info here it slows down the productions of skin cells inside the follicles reducing the likelyhood of clogging pores.

I hope that clarifys some of the information for everyone. Skin care products can be so confusing with so many claims. No wonder it''s a multibillion $$$ industry, these companies really appeal to our vanity.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results