shape
carat
color
clarity

Micro Pave Ring - Which to get?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

alloamie

Shiny_Rock
I accidently posted this in "Show me the Ring" - It may make more sense here:

Aloha!
I have been lurking for a loong time, actually since I started looking for my ER 4 years ago! I''ve now been married for 3 years and have been lurking for my sister''s ER and now for a micro-pave band for myself.

I LOVE Leon Mege''s Band 201 - platinum, 1.4mm. I got a price quote from him and it is a very reasonable quote - much less than B&M stores I''ve been visiting around town in Honolulu.
He said the ring will take 1-2 weeks.

I also found this band on eBay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=110249706202
The seller has been very good w/ email communication. He said the band will take 5-days to make, is hand-made, diamonds are hand-set and it will be custom-made to my ring size (4 3/8). It is 1.8mm width.
There is a 7-day return policy and I can purchase it with no payments/interest for 4-months if I pay by paypal credit card...

The price difference between the 2 rings is about $500.00. Either one will be a splurge for me - so I''m trying to weigh the pros & cons of each.

The LM will have no return policy, I"m not sure how much his shipping cost will be, and also worried about some of the mixed reviews I''ve seen on this forum.
Purchasing a luxury item on eBay also makes me nervous.
I''d really appreciate any input!

Oh another question - will the mm width difference be very big? I love the super-thin look of the LM, will the 1.4 vs 1.8, be very noticeable?
Thanks

CDNinNYC

Ideal_Rock
LOL: I just posted in SMTR!

Here''s my response to your question:

"Hi alloamie and welcome!

Can I ask if you''ll be wearing the band with your ER or on its own? I don''t think the 1.4mm will not be substantial enough on it''s own.

If you''re planning on wearing it with your ER, how wide is its shank?"

alloamie

Shiny_Rock
oops - just responded there, too!

I want to stack it with my 2.5mm platinum wedding band.
My ER is also 2.5mm plain platinum solitaire which I may also stack.

CDNinNYC

Ideal_Rock
Hello again!

Hmm, I think either size would work well then. I think you would notice the size between the two but only if they''re next to each other.

I wouldn''t worry about the mixed reviews about Leon; they focus more around personality than on the quality of his work and you would be ordering an item he has made before with no variation.

If it were me, I would go with Leon only because I have had the opportunity to see his work in person and it''s well worth it. I would be nervous buying from an eBay seller. However, he has gotten great feedback and you have the assurance of being able to get a refund.

Have you had a chance to ask the eBay seller and Leon about the quality (colour/clarity) of the stones they use? It might affect the quality of the end product and can help explain the price difference.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d go with Leon easily over a random ebay vendor...you just don''t know what quality the melee will be with ebay, etc.

And I agree about the mixed reviews on Leon. It''s usually in regards to custom work and personality differences, not the quality of his work.

alloamie

Shiny_Rock
Ebay stones are F, VS
LM: F-G, VS

Thanks for the responses. Deep down I know that the LM is the safer investment, but it''s hard to justify spending the extra $$ since the rings seem comparable...
Is it typical for custom jewelers like LM not to accept credit cards or offer payment plans? I''m scared to ask him if he''ll take payments since its not an "expensive" item compared to other work he does!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/9/2008 7:12:16 PM
Author: alloamie
Ebay stones are F, VS

LM: F-G, VS

Thanks for the responses. Deep down I know that the LM is the safer investment, but it''s hard to justify spending the extra $$ since the rings seem comparable...

Is it typical for custom jewelers like LM not to accept credit cards or offer payment plans? I''m scared to ask him if he''ll take payments since its not an ''expensive'' item compared to other work he does!

Yes, I highly doubt Leon will take a payment plan. I don''t know if he will take CC''s or not. I know he''ll take google checkout for some items on his website...so you could theoretically pay through a CC with them if he would do that.

And as for the ebay vendors stones being "F VS" we really don''t know if they are cut well (which will affect sparkle) AND we don''t know who is grading them as F VS. With Leon, you know you are getting a high quality product at least.

CDNinNYC

Ideal_Rock
As far as I know LM takes a deposit when your order is placed with the balance due upon completion. I don''t know if he would be willing to do a payment plan. However, in our case, FI was having some issues with his bank in transferring funds from another currency and country to the US and Leon was very relaxed and accommodating while my Fi sorted it all out. There''s a slight chance he might be flexible. On the other hand, if you''re not in a huge rush for the ring, I would place the order but tell Leon it doesn''t have to be ready until after the new year. It''ll give you time to save up and Leon will be busy with Christmas orders until then anyways.

alloamie

Shiny_Rock
How does this one compare to the LM?
http://signedpieces.com/item.cfm?item_id=2173

Facets shared-prong eternity band.
It doesn''t look as delicate at the LM - also looks much taller than the LM.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/10/2008 1:50:44 PM
Author: alloamie
How does this one compare to the LM?

http://signedpieces.com/item.cfm?item_id=2173

Facets shared-prong eternity band.

It doesn''t look as delicate at the LM - also looks much taller than the LM.

The quality of the stones would be great. But you are spot on that it will be quite a bit bulkier than the LM. But still a great choice!

alloamie

Shiny_Rock
hmm seems like I get more "bang for my buck" with the facets...
they also have a great return policy...
i was soo set on ordering the LM today - and now I have another decision to make!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results