shape
carat
color
clarity

Micro pave or pave for a halo diamond setting?

fraggle30

Rough_Rock
I have been looking at different diamond rings lately and noticed that there are two types of pave. One is almost geometric / art deco in appearance and has a bezel like border around the pave halo. I don't know what that line is called but if you know I would love to know the name of this design and why they would put a bezel like border around the halo edge. There is also another type of pave that is larger and held just by prongs so you can't really notice any gold or border. My question is what is the more desired look for around a halo setting? Which is more practical? What style is timeless? What do you think or prefer?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is simply a matter of preference! The Tiffany Legacy is perhaps the most well known of the type with a milgrain edge around the halo.

http://www.tiffany.com/Engagement/Browse.aspx?mcat=148203#p+1-n+6-cg+-c+-s+-r+-t+-ri+-ni+1-x+-pu+-f+0/0/0/0/4002/4002

And the Harry Winston halo is the other kind with just the stones showing and little metal. The size of the stones is really not the issue, it is the style in which the stones are set.

Here is a thread with a ring done by Steven Kirsch with the second style:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/forum/show-me-the-ring/timeless-luxury-steven-kirsch-rb-halo-ring-is-here-t156815.html']https://www.pricescope.com/forum/show-me-the-ring/timeless-luxury-steven-kirsch-rb-halo-ring-is-here-t156815.html[/URL]

I think either would be an enduring style. It is just a matter of which you like best!

As far as what I'd like goes, I actually have a Tiffany Legacy wedding band, so I would slightly lean toward the milgrain edge halo like the Legacy. It reminds me of an antique ring, and I sort of like that. Vatche makes one called "Grace" and there are oth ers as well.

http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/diamond-settings/grace-diamond-engagement-ring-by-vatche-256.htm

Hospatogi

Brilliant_Rock
I have to say that I am partial to halos with millegrain but then again I really love jewelry that has an antique look to it. This is one of my fav rings http://www.timelessluxury.net/cr-046.htm However both can be really beautiful. It just depends on your personality ! :) Cant wait to hear what you decide :) :)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hospatogi|1304220341|2908880 said:
I have to say that I am partial to halos with millegrain but then again I really love jewelry that has an antique look to it. This is one of my fav rings http://www.timelessluxury.net/cr-046.htm However both can be really beautiful. It just depends on your personality ! :) Cant wait to hear what you decide :) :)

That is beautiful, Hospatogi! I see SK does a very nice milgrain halo as well!

fraggle30

Rough_Rock
Wow diamond seeker you gave me all the info I needed what a great response!! Thanks for the links! I like both settings styles. Just like you stated I love the antique look, but I also like the harry winston look were the diamonds almost look like their floating or blending with the diamond. It will be hard to decide. Thanks for all your info!!

fraggle30

Rough_Rock
Hospatogi, that is a lovely ring, simple and elegant. I love the way halo's accent the center stone SO NICE!!

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
This is my halo ring with micropave. There is very find millegrain around the outside of the halo and three very fine rows of millegrain on the shank, separating two rows of micropave. The shank is a knife edge and one row of millegrain is on the top of the "knife." I've attached a pic of the ring. Hope this helps :))

HOF reset deck 2 010 A.jpg

fraggle30

Rough_Rock
Oh that is lovely, it blends so well with the center stone. Very classy! Thanks for sharing.

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
fraggle30|1304274384|2909267 said:
Oh that is lovely, it blends so well with the center stone. Very classy! Thanks for sharing.

Thank you, fraggle :)) I just wanted you to see another option for a halo with micropave. One of the reasons I chose this setting was that the center stone did blend so well with the halo, as you mentioned. That was very important to me. Although there are four double prongs, IRL you don't see them from a top down view of the ring.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
The one with the border is "bright cut" the other is "V-cut" or "French Cut"... as for preference. I think it depends on the over all design. I think both can look lovely.

BHMom

Rough_Rock
HI Fraggle30, here's an email I got from my jeweler showing a few different types of pave. They're not on halos but it helped me visualize the differences. Hope it helps you too. To confuse things even more my jeweler said there is also "European 4 bead" and different variations of U-cut pave, and the ability to miligrain bright cut pave. I chose what my designer calls "Shallow U-Cut" pave for my halo reset. That's what the HW inspired rings use mostly. Good luck.

Pave.jpg

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
BH mom, that's a great photo! I may copy it just to keep for future reference to show other people who are curious about the difference!!

BHMom

Rough_Rock
Yeah it is a nice photo. I don't know what happened with the pic though it looks like it became smaller when I posted it.

fraggle30

Rough_Rock
well it looks great and blend so well, thats what I love about that type of halo.

fraggle30

Rough_Rock
hey thank you so much for sending me the different types, there are definatley more than I thought. :shock:

ManutdRooeny

Rough_Rock
Rising Sun that setting/ring is beautiful. Where did you find that setting?

Thanks

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results