shape
carat
color
clarity

Michelle's helps with college admission

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
I brought up this thread because of how upsetting it was to those students who did all that and got perfect SAT scores and were ranked 1 or 2 in their class, and did not get in or were wait listed.

What were they missing?

Yes it is all speculation. But some are saying she got in because she deserved it. And I am questioning what made her that deserving to get into every college she applied to - an almost unbelievable feat.

E B

Ideal_Rock
I brought up this thread because of how upsetting it was to those students who did all that and got perfect SAT scores and were ranked 1 or 2 in their class, and did not get in or were wait listed.

What were they missing?

Something. Because those two things aren't everything to good universities, nor should they be. If they truly were top of the class with perfect SAT scores, they should have gotten into plenty of good schools. Maybe not Harvard, but hey...life lesson.

sstephensid

Shiny_Rock

What were they missing?

Yes it is all speculation. But some are saying she got in because she deserved it. And I am questioning what made her that deserving to get into every college she applied to - an almost unbelievable feat.
You are unbelievable. The fact that a hard-working, amazing young black woman could get into Harvard is believable and admirable. I think this whole thread proves you know very little about GPA, applications, and acceptance into university. Yes, you worked at a high school and have kids, but either that was in a different decade or you weren't paying attention.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
You are unbelievable. The fact that a hard-working, amazing young black woman could get into Harvard is believable and admirable. I think this whole thread proves you know very little about GPA, applications, and acceptance into university. Yes, you worked at a high school and have kids, but either that was in a different decade or you weren't paying attention.

Thank you for stopping by. But unfortunately you added nothing to the conversation.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
* * * If you had been paying attention this has nothing to do with my kids but when I worked in the various school systems and encountered these disappointed students asking where they went wrong. And the answer was obvious.
Well, the students from the couple of RI high schools who were rejected/wait-listed at Harvard isn't because Michelle Obama sent letters of recommendation to Harvard on behalf of the ~2000 applicants to whom Harvard did offer admission out of the 39,000+ applications received.

* * * Would she have gotten in without [the recommendation letter from Ms. Obama], no one can answer that.
But she got into every college she applied to: How many accomplish that on their own?
Actually, I know-know of quite a few (if "on their own" means "without a letter of recommendation from a well-known person or big donor alum"), but you've demonstrated in spades that nothing anyone says here is going to prompt you to reconsider your initial premise. Heck, you resisted doing a Google search -- as per sstephensid's suggestion (since you weren't willing to accept what she & others said) -- which would have shown your sneering declamation (#29) that Yara's "4.6 GPA. That would have been thrown in the circular file if she were a nobody" was mistaken; that indeed the usual norm is that GPAs go down from 4.0 & that high school GPAs above that are due to additional weight being given for honors-AP classes.
Even after my post #180 -- which linked the Duke Magazine Admission: Impossible? article so you could see for yourself that Duke U. accepted less than 30% of the more than 2900 high school class valedictorians who apply -- you are still holding fast to what you espoused on the very first page here: that some high achieving, Rhode Island high school seniors within your ken
were not able to get into the college of their choice because they could not name drop.

And honestly, the fact that some wunderkinds don't get into their top choices of the country's most selective colleges is of far less concern to me than the more average-middling & poor students who do not get into any of the colleges to which they applied. Some of those no-admits may be because the kids themselves stubbornly resisted good advice given them as to which schools were likely fits for them (or if they should make college part of their immediate future). But many of the posts along this line on, e.g., College Confidential boards sure seem to reflect that the kids did not have the benefit of adequate, informed college admissions counseling. That's a far sadder reality than what you're waxing indignant over.

Last edited:

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
Wunderkids - who would that be. White privileged kids.

The high school I worked in and the kids I am talking about would hardly fit that description.

And if you had read my posts more carefully, in a meeting with the principal, AP teachers, guidance counselors there was a lot of good information in how they were advised, but not a clue why they were not accepted.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wunderkids - who would that be. White privileged kids.
The high school I worked in and the kids I am talking about would hardly fit that description.
And if you had read my posts more carefully, in a meeting with the principal, AP teachers, guidance counselors there was a lot of good information in how they were advised, but not a clue why they were not accepted.
Sigh.
Wunderkind: "A person who achieves great success when relatively young"
https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/us/wunderkind

"not a clue why they were not accepted" Statistics like Duke declining more than 2/3 of the valedictorians who applied there (oops, I first gave that to you in #128, not 180) don't supply a clue? These most selective schools receive far more applications than the number of offers they each extend.

Last edited:

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think learning how to be assertive is so challenging. The fact that at 17 (which I am sure we can all agree is YOUNG) she was able to take the risk for ask for what she wanted is *amazing.* I know adults who are too scared to ask because rejection is so difficult. That is a skill that is hard to learn. Yara, among all her other amazing accomplishments, has it.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
I think learning how to be assertive is so challenging. The fact that at 17 (which I am sure we can all agree is YOUNG) she was able to take the risk for ask for what she wanted is *amazing.* I know adults who are too scared to ask because rejection is so difficult. That is a skill that is hard to learn. Yara, among all her other amazing accomplishments, has it.

Do you think Yara was the first to realize that Mrs. Obama could be a major asset to getting into the college of her choice.

Or she is one of a very few who would ever have the opportunity to do so?

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't think it matters Ruby. You have been in the workforce. If you want to move ahead then you do your job and go above and beyond. To me, her asking for a letter is the very same thing. It was brave and resourceful and I honestly believe she deserves it. Michelle Obama certainly doesn't live in a bubble. Yes, you have to have opportunity but then you have to have the guts to ask. At 17 I would not have had that confidence so I find that extremely impressive.

ETA: Michelle Obama was not obligated to write one. She is a very articulate woman and I am sure she could have gently said no if she did not find it appropriate.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So many sour grapes in this thread we could make wine. A wine named "Bitter, Party of One."

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
So many sour grapes in this thread we could make wine. A wine named "Bitter, Party of One."

No it is called a conversation, where two sides express their opinions in a respectful manner.

IMO, we need more of them if this country ever hopes to become united.

The problem today is where Berkeley once again rescinded an invitation for someone to speak there become many kids today are too delicate to hear other people's opinions.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No it is called a conversation, where two sides express their opinions in a respectful manner.

IMO, we need more of them if this country ever hopes to become united.

The problem today is where Berkeley once again rescinded an invitation for someone to speak there become many kids today are too delicate to hear other people's opinions.

Ruby, you're too delicate to read the p word. Give me a break.

E B

Ideal_Rock

This wasn't what happened. Please Google what did, and stay away from AOL/Fox (or worse) just this time.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Why do you assume that this has anything to do with delicacy or an inability to tolerate another person's opinions? Maybe it's just that some speech is offensive and people have come to the conclusion that giving it a public forum legitimizes it. In addition, these folks are paid large speaker fees, and perhaps the idea of lining the pockets of someone whose beliefs they find morally reprehensible was unpalatable.

I think that finding the strength make your voice heard on such matters and speak out against things that you perceive to be unjust or immoral does not make anyone weak, delicate, or intolerant. In fact, I think it takes a lot of courage as this never comes without personal risk. Conformity with the status quo is safe. Effecting change is dangerous and hard. Look at those who marched in the civil liberties marches (and faced danger because of it). The women who demanded the vote, equal rights, to be admitted into medical schools, and to be allowed to serve in the military (and faced threats, derision, physical and sexual assault, and intense pressure to back down because of it). Gay men and women who risked being killed in order to be able to live openly without fear. Oh, and Malala...getting shot in the head simply for wanting to go to school. The truth is that any time anyone tries to change the status quo to be a more fair and just world, it comes at huge personal cost. Don't you think it's brave for people to stand up and ask for the right thing to be done, even when it means that they put themselves at risk for doing it? Doesn't sound so 'delicate' or 'fragile' to me.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you saying it all Monnie!!!

You know what, I cannot recall my mother ever ONCE saying it wasn't fair that some other kid had more privilege than me or my brother or that it something wasn't fair. She was very matter-of-fact about things, like when I didn't make the cheerleading squad (thank gods and goddesses) in 4th grade because the judges had a predetermined list of which girls were going to be on the squad well before tryouts. Not when I got a 2 instead of a 1 once in a state piano competition. She didn't attribute what happened in my life to circumstances and begrudge any success another student or friend of mine had. She just encouraged me to learn and move on to the next goal. She sure as hell didn't sit around bitching on the internet every day.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
Ruby, you're too delicate to read the p word. Give me a break.
Apparently not, because it is used frequently here and I am still here reading and responding as well.

Considering the grief I have received from many of the liberal left here and I have no one on ignore, I would hardly be called delicate.

But to explain I feel women using the P word would be like me referring to myself as a K*ke. Ridiculous.

And please do not tell me it is an empowerment thing

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
You know what, I cannot recall my mother ever ONCE saying it wasn't fair that some other kid had more privilege than me or my brother or that it something wasn't fair. She was very matter-of-fact about things, like when I didn't make the cheerleading squad (thank gods and goddesses) in 4th grade because the judges had a predetermined list of which girls were going to be on the squad well before tryouts. Not when I got a 2 instead of a 1 once in a state piano competition. She didn't attribute what happened in my life to circumstances and begrudge any success another student or friend of mine had. She just encouraged me to learn and move on to the next goal. She sure as hell didn't sit around bitching on the internet every day.

Fine, but then make the same comment when someone throws out white privilege.

Yara had an advantage that she got to meet Mrs. Obama.

While white people have no control over their skin color.

It is not the fact that the person is simply white. A lot of white people fail and a lot of black people are extremely successful. It is what you do about it to compensate for what you are lacking.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
This wasn't what happened. Please Google what did, and stay away from AOL/Fox (or worse) just this time.
Wow, how can you determine where I get my news.

Actually last night I watched Criminal Minds and Designated Survivor, so did not watch any news stations.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for stopping by. But unfortunately you added nothing to the conversation.

Added nothing to the conversation for YOU, ruby. But YOU, ruby, are NOT Pricescope in total, so guess what---the rest of us get to decide who adds to the conversation for us. You don't decide for us. And you don't get to push people out of threads either.

In your early days on Pricescope, I used to wonder why you came here: You call us names designed to isolate ("libs," etc), you denigrate and insult what people share, you are a complete martyr if YOU don't get your attention fix, and BTW when the heck have you posted ANYTHING about jewelry, including applauding/cheering other posters in SMTB, helping people in Rocky Talky? This *is* a jewelry forum.

There are a lot of internet sites and groups for people who share your feelings, why not go to one of those? BECAUSE YOU'D JUST BE ONE OF THE HERD, NOTHING UNUSUAL OR SPECIAL, and you wouldn't get to demonstrate your favored technique for dealing with anything/anyone who is not YOU:

DARVO.

Google it. Or ask your daughter what it is; any PhD candidate in Psych would know what it is.

I suspect that you aren't 'allowed' to fight or debate or have conflict in your other relationships and that is why you love coming here: Its all one big ball of referred aggression for whoever and whatever is bothering you.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
Added nothing to the conversation for YOU, ruby. But YOU, ruby, are NOT Pricescope in total, so guess what---the rest of us get to decide who adds to the conversation for us. You don't decide for us. And you don't get to push people out of threads either.

In your early days on Pricescope, I used to wonder why you came here: You call us names designed to isolate ("libs," etc), you denigrate and insult what people share, you are a complete martyr if YOU don't get your attention fix, and BTW when the heck have you posted ANYTHING about jewelry, including applauding/cheering other posters in SMTB, helping people in Rocky Talky? This *is* a jewelry forum.

There are a lot of internet sites and groups for people who share your feelings, why not go to one of those? BECAUSE YOU'D JUST BE ONE OF THE HERD, NOTHING UNUSUAL OR SPECIAL, and you wouldn't get to demonstrate your favored technique for dealing with anything/anyone who is not YOU:

DARVO.

Google it. Or ask your daughter what it is; any PhD candidate in Psych would know what it is.

I suspect that you aren't 'allowed' to fight or debate or have conflict in your other relationships and that is why you love coming here: Its all one big ball of referred aggression for whoever and whatever is bothering you.

And what would you call a person who defends someone for saying what they want and tells me to find another place to post.

Oh, yea, hypocrite.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
I remember, you are the woman who called out someone because of their profession.

You mentioned you are a woman of means. So it must be true that money cannot buy everything.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
n your early days on Pricescope, I used to wonder why you came here: You call us names designed to isolate ("libs," etc), you denigrate and insult what people share, you are a complete martyr if YOU don't get your attention fix, and BTW when the heck have you posted ANYTHING about jewelry, including applauding/cheering other posters in SMTB, helping people in Rocky Talky? This *is* a jewelry forum.

Oh, and to clear something up. In my early days of Pricescope I had something like 38 posts. I know it was well under 100 because that was the Criteria Ella was going to use to see who could post in the preloved section and I wanted to list my late mother's diamond ring.

I started posting here when Trump's name came up for President.

So it must have been someone else you could not get along with. Seems to be a trend.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fine, but then make the same comment when someone throws out white privilege.

Yara had an advantage that she got to meet Mrs. Obama.

While white people have no control over their skin color.

It is not the fact that the person is simply white. A lot of white people fail and a lot of black people are extremely successful. It is what you do about it to compensate for what you are lacking.

Ok, first, no one brought up white privilege. You're bringing it up now...why? I'm going to take a WILD GUESS here and say what really sticks in your craw about Yara and Michelle Obama is that you think it's obvious that since Yara is black and so is Michelle THAT is the advantage/privilege? Ohhhh. OK. Why didn't you just name your thread "Black Privilege" then and tell us all how unfair affirmative action is? That would have been much easier than dragging this out for 7 pages.

ETA: I don't even have a "second."

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
The reason I did not bring it up is because that is your guess not my point.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
And Monarch, if you had been following my posts and not assuming things I did not say, you will see that one of the high schools I worked in was in a very urban, poor neighborhood, and the children in question were minorities.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
LOL! I don't care where you worked or with whom. That's exactly like saying "I'm not racist, I have a black friend!"
That does not even make sense.

I am recalling something that happened over and over again where no one had an answer. It is merely a fact not an assassination on my character.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results