shape
carat
color
clarity

Michael Kors Bags?

CalliopeCladdagh

Shiny_Rock
Hi all,

I'm interested in purchasing a Michael Kors bag.
From my internet research, I'm finding mixed reviews about the brand - a lot of people calling them trashy, common, cheap, etc.
I'm not concerned about my image, but I am concerned about quality.
Can anyone comment on the quality of these bags, whether they are well made, long lasting, worth the money?
Thanks!

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My two friends really like them. One uses one of her MK bags every day for about 2 years now and it's holding up just fine.

Spring Day

Brilliant_Rock
Not worth the money. Horrible human being. I say save your money and take it elsewhere. Just as we would not encourage someone to buy a badly cut stone, I encourage you not to purchase an MK. It’s just like Coach or buying a diamond from a mall retailer, not good.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you like the brand buy it. I personally buy from smaller hand made these days as its for me a matter of quality. I still get extremely beautiful leather goods for I'm paying those small houses instead who really do turn out amazing work instead of the giant conglomerates that everything is made as cheaply as it can for strictly profit.

Last bag I purchased from coach was a disaster as was that disaster of a wallet. they are not on par with any of the vintage coach bags I still have (only vintage because I had them since the freaking 90's!!!) but will never buy another at this point. Honestly buy coach outlet which is now online. Rakatun is like 10% off if you have to have a coach... check them for MK too if because if you love the brand, save money while buying is my motto.

Years ago my husband bought me a briefcase from Jack George. Its absolutely gorgeous (its a soft side briefcase that fits a computer. I've kept that case though I very seldom carry because its really damn gorgeous in person.

If you have a TJ Maxx or Marshalls near you, go there first, they usually have LOTS of MK's there.

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
I find the quality of MK, Kate Spade, Coach have all gone downhill since they started anchoring outlet malls.

That said, I just bought a Coach bag because it had adorable flowers all over it and wasn’t too expensive. I’m a sucker for those Facebook recommended purchases thingies.

If you find one you love and the price is right then go for it. I just wouldn’t pay a premium price for an MK bag.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you really like the design and it functions well for you, it's worth it. If it's a basic design (like a shopper or tote) you can almost certainly find better for the money. When you buy brands like MK you are paying for their advertising mostly. If I buy bags in that category I always buy them on sale. I have a few from Rebecca Minkoff that I'm very happy with for the prices paid.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For the price range, at an outlet mall—it’s a great purse! My good friend has several and they’ve lasted her for years. I’m not a fan personally of any of the styles, but I think it’s a good product if you find one that you like.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I have three - they are holding up very well. They are not an elite bag by any means. But on basic durability, the black and white bags are 3-4 years old (Selma medium) and the larger tote was from a year and a half ago. I have been carrying the taupe bag for a year and a half straight (daughter gift Christmas 2018) and still in use. The black bag was a daily bag for at least a year and a half. I'm ready for a new look, but haven't worn these out yet.

Die bag, die.

20200712_115130.jpg

Last edited:

diamondnewbieny

Brilliant_Rock
Buy what you like. The quality is not bad. I think it’s better than coach outlet items. If you like it, get it.

I’ve had a couple MK bags but I ended up donating them because they wore out WAY too quickly. I am absolutely not a fan. I can get around a year, tops, out of them and I just don’t find them worth it. At that price point (or possibly cheaper) Longchamp is amazing, those totes can go through 6 rounds with a prize fighter and a pit bull and emerge victorious and would be my pick. For a more recognisable name, Kate Spade is marginally better quality than MK. If brand name isn’t important to you, I like Strathberry and Polene, they’re excellent quality bags.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve had a few over the years but haven’t purchased one in the past 4 years so I can’t speak for the quality of the bags today. The ones I purchased held up great. I love the compartments on the inside of their bags. I’m not gentle with my everyday bags and these looKed great after a few years of use.

LOL @moneymeister , The Selma bag was my Every day bag for a few years. I’ve never had a bag hold up as well as that bag.

Last edited:

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I’ve had a few over the years but haven’t purchased one in the past 4 years so I can’t speak for the quality of the bags today. The ones I purchased held up great. I love the compartments on the inside of their bags. I’m not gentle with my everyday bags and these looKed great after a few years of use.

LOL @moneymeister , The Selma bag was my very day bag for a few years. I’ve never had a bag hold up as well as that bag.

I dropped by a MK outlet a year ago and noticed the finishes and weight of materials seemed to be less robust than my Selma bags. I didn't buy anything. In my sleepy Virginia rural area, we have few stores with decent bags - I like to see a bag and inspect it first hand. I usually buy at TJ Maxx or Belk. Those are my choices. belk has Brahmin (I've had one and they also held up) and Dooney.

LOL, @Calliecake Selma is a workhorse! The white one hasn't even been used yet. I may rehome these and start with a new bag. Not MK.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Whisper89 , If you know the bag you are interested in you could look up other women’s experiences with the bag on Purse Forum. It’s a helpful site when deciding between bags.

CalliopeCladdagh

Shiny_Rock
Wow everyone, thank you for all your replies. What a range of opinion!
I will think carefully about everything you've said.
The brand name isn't too important, I just really like the design of the bag I want. However, it's around $600 in my currency, which is a lot for me (no outlet shopping here). So I will take everything in to consideration.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No for $600! We are in Australia so hopeless prices but my friend always manages to find them for around $300 on sale!

Definitely wait for a sale!!!!!!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow everyone, thank you for all your replies. What a range of opinion!
I will think carefully about everything you've said.
The brand name isn't too important, I just really like the design of the bag I want. However, it's around $600 in my currency, which is a lot for me (no outlet shopping here). So I will take everything in to consideration.

when you said 600 my eyes watered. whats the bag look like? for sure there's enough purse enthusiasts here that can help you find something similar.

Also one more thing, do you know if its a made in italy bag? if it is, its a runway bag and that will account for the price. If its not, then yeah someone might be able to help you find that particular sillouette for less.

Last edited:

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, Gotcha. Soooo Thats actually interesting. looks more like versace (they did buy the company so makes some sense!)

For everyone else thats curious...

And macy's has the small black one on sale.

The sillouette has been done before but this is different with the type of accents they used.

CalliopeCladdagh

Shiny_Rock
Interesting!

Can anyone comment on the quality of this particular style?

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a MK Ava purse in the medium size been carrying it daily for about 3 years I have had no issues with it, I also have a MK wristlet and is like my Ava but of course in a wristlet lol...but I dont carry it as much but yeah I like my MK purse...I have no experience in any other MK purses, I am not one to buy a bunch of purses, I have carried the same 2 purses for probably 8 years or so, I have my Mk and a small Coach...

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have 6 or 7 MK that I love. Most of them are older. I havnt bought one in the last three years but the quality of the older ones are great. Just like Coach they have premium purses and lower priced purses. I’m betting the quality coincides with the price.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have 6 or 7 MK that I love. Most of them are older. I haven't bought one in the last three years but the quality of the older ones are great. Just like Coach they have premium purses and lower priced purses. I’m betting the quality coincides with the price.

I can only speak to Coach and the one I bought (and returned 5 times). The quality is absolutely NOTHING like the older bags that I have (and covet!) Was trashed in a year and I'm not hard on bags. Spent over 700 dollars never again with coach.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I find the quality of MK, Kate Spade, Coach have all gone downhill since they started anchoring outlet malls.

Keep in mind that many of the fashion brands (but not all) make different products for their outlets vs the boutiques - the outlets serve as a way to target a different customer base without diluting their high end market..

While these outlets will carry left over higher end inventory from past seasons, the products made specifically for the outlets have the look/appeal of the designer but typically lower quality or less features to reduce costs.

Don't quote me but pretty sure the brands you mention all do this (while some like Gucci do not - because the trade-off is that your brand gets associated with lesser quality goods.).

(I only have one MK bag. I bought it at the clearance rack at Marshalls - not for the name brand but because the size/functionality was what I look for in a bag. I have no issues with it...but I change bags each season and don't use it every day.)

Last edited:

CalliopeCladdagh

Shiny_Rock
Ugh I'm so conflicted!

I really like it but don't want to spend so much on a dud!

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Whisper, I don't have any advice when it comes to that bag other than my simple opinion that as far as looks go, I think it's absolutely beautiful (& that's coming from a basic black or brown leather bag gal) but I commented to ask what your profile pic is of?
I cannot for the life of me discern it?

It looks like an image of molars or wings painted onto the underside of flip flops which are hooked onto a barbwire fence in a field?
I'm curious as to what they mean/are/represent?

CalliopeCladdagh

Shiny_Rock
wings painted onto the underside of flip flops which are hooked onto a barbwire fence in a field?
That's exactly what it is, except it's just a normal farmer's fence, not barbed wire.

A few years ago I was on a road trip and came across this stretch of fence in essentially the middle of nowhere. It was absolutely covered in jandals (flip flops) of all colours etc. I assume it started accidentally and people just added to it over the years. I took some photos and this is just one I particularly liked. No deep meaning I'm afraid!

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
That's exactly what it is, except it's just a normal farmer's fence, not barbed wire.

A few years ago I was on a road trip and came across this stretch of fence in essentially the middle of nowhere. It was absolutely covered in jandals (flip flops) of all colours etc. I assume it started accidentally and people just added to it over the years. I took some photos and this is just one I particularly liked. No deep meaning I'm afraid!

That's actually beautiful to me. I love that. Isn't it funny how an Individual can start a chain reaction?
I think somehow they all followed leaving their shoes behind as a way to say they were there and did it just because they could- I mean why not? It's fun and cheeky. Eventually it becomes an art piece. Do you have more photos showing multiple sandals?

CalliopeCladdagh

Shiny_Rock
I just had a look for you and found out that I lost the rest of those photos when I bought my new laptop last year!
I had my avatar pic saved in a different folder of 'favourites' that I kept but I must have not copied the rest over.
I had a quick google but couldn't find the fence I visited - there are a couple of well-known ones that come up in a search but they are in locations I did not visit on that trip, but here's an example:

jandal-fence-new-zealand.jpg

The one I saw was more picturesque and less symmetrically arranged. Annoyed I've lost those photos!

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Keep in mind that many of the fashion brands (but not all) make different products for their outlets vs the boutiques - the outlets serve as a way to target a different customer base without diluting their high end market..

While these outlets will carry left over higher end inventory from past seasons, the products made specifically for the outlets have the look/appeal of the designer but typically lower quality or less features to reduce costs.

Don't quote me but pretty sure the brands you mention all do this (while some like Gucci do not - because the trade-off is that your brand gets associated with lesser quality goods.).

(I only have one MK bag. I bought it at the clearance rack at Marshalls - not for the name brand but because the size/functionality was what I look for in a bag. I have no issues with it...but I change bags each season and don't use it every day.)

Yes they do have an outlet line as well as a regular line. I’ve just found that the regular line isn’t what it used to be. Maybe that’s unrelated to the fact that outlet malls are more popular.

I have an older Kate Spade bag and a Coach wallet that feel like much better quality than newer flagship store purchases.

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bought this with matching wallet for daughter, she used 3 times and then wanted a tote instead
mk1.jpg
Then I have had these two with the last one being the one I currently have and they were awesome quality as I purchased from Belk, not outlet.
mk0.jpg michael-by-michael-kors-bordeaux-multifunctional-patent-leather-satchel-product-1-14459069-220...jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results