shape
carat
color
clarity

Michael Jackson tribute..whos

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bebe

Ideal_Rock
are MJ''s children there?

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/7/2009 3:30:40 PM
Author: bebe
are MJ''s children there?

Good question. A couple people have mentioned them, but I haven''t seen them?

lauralu

Brilliant_Rock
yes they are
They are front and center singing with everyone on heal the world right next to Janet or maybe that was Latoya. The one wearing the very large hat
They have been sitting in the front row on either side of Katherine the entire time
On stage to the right as the brothers are talking.

ETA omg that was so sad. His daughter Paris spoke...she misses her daddy

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow -- I was really surprised that Paris spoke. I hope the best for her and her brothers. I can only imagine what they're thinking about all of this.

ETA: Latoya was the one with the hat. Janet was wearing some sort of beret or something.

InLuv101

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/7/2009 3:44:54 PM
Author: ZoeBartlett
Wow -- I was really surprised that Paris spoke. I hope the best for her and her brothers. I can only imagine what they''re thinking about all of this.

ETA: Latoya was the one with the hat. Janet was wearing some sort of beret or something.
Ditto. I didn''t cry until she spoke. His kids didn''t view him as weird or as Jacko...they viewed his as their daddy. He''s the only parent they''ve ever known. My heart breaks for them.
8.gif

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
I was tearing up off and on throughout the whole tribute but I really lost it when Paris spoke.
39.gif

I''m hoping to find a transcript of Al Sharpton''s speech later. I thought it was amazing.
5.gif

lauralu

Brilliant_Rock
I agree Zoe, I hope they found it to be a honor to their dad. They have lived their lives knowing that where ever they go people recognize and want to touch their father. Hopefully it leaves an impression of love that people felt for him.

okay I am going to stop commenting on this. I haven''t commented about MJ here yet. I do have to admit I feel really torn yet about him. The early MJ was so gifted and did so much for so many people children,charities. The MJ over the last few years has been just a sad sad man. He had to get so weird and out there......Just is so conflicting in my mind. do we honor? do we not? I have friends that think he is nothing but a pervert.

In the end he was a human being though. He and God will figure it out from here....

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
The memorial service really touched me. It was beautiful. I loved how Brook talked about their younger years together.

I also teared up when his daughter Paris spoke. It also got to me, when they were wheeling his casket out, and people were saying "rest Micheal".

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just finished watching it. I teared up a lot which I am surprised at. I think I got caught up in the emotion of it all.

I was really a bit creeped out by the casket being there. I wonder if the performers knew in advance it was going to be there. Mariah Carey didn''t really look at it when she was singing so maybe she felt a bit weird by it too?

I felt very proud of Shaheen Jafargholi. It must have been scary for him to do such a big show. If anyone isn''t familiar with him here is a link... (best bit is around 2 minutes in) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVU4IkzMNIo

Anyway, I thought it was a fitting tribute to MJ.

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/7/2009 3:54:10 PM
Author: lauralu
I agree Zoe, I hope they found it to be a honor to their dad. They have lived their lives knowing that where ever they go people recognize and want to touch their father. Hopefully it leaves an impression of love that people felt for him.

okay I am going to stop commenting on this. I haven''t commented about MJ here yet. I do have to admit I feel really torn yet about him. The early MJ was so gifted and did so much for so many people children,charities. The MJ over the last few years has been just a sad sad man. He had to get so weird and out there......Just is so conflicting in my mind. do we honor? do we not? I have friends that think he is nothing but a pervert.

In the end he was a human being though. He and God will figure it out from here....

Totally agree. The young Michael was such a sweet, talented boy...what must have happened to him as a child, to have him turn out that way? If it was due to his father''s influence, I hope they keep his kids away from him. God only knows what the truth was, about all of the scandals, etc., but the rest of it is just sad.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/7/2009 3:54:10 PM
Author: lauralu

I agree with this Lauralu. I hesitated to even start a thread about the tribute but then decided to anyway. At first I thought it was odd that the family was going to do a public tribute, but then I remembered how many people were affected by his work, his life and his death.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Maisie - I''m thinking..... and Hoping... that the casket was probably empty, and meant to be there as an icon?

I''m hoping to watch a replay tonight.

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/7/2009 4:06:25 PM
Author: dragonfly411
Maisie - I'm thinking..... and Hoping... that the casket was probably empty, and meant to be there as an icon?

I'm hoping to watch a replay tonight.

Well, the different network announcers kept referring to 'Michael's body' as if he was actually in the casket - etc., but that doesn't mean it's true. It's not out of the question IMO that it was real, it was a funeral after all...I doubt they would ever come out and say if he wasn't in it though.

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
I don''t think it was odd that the casket was there at all.

As for the whether or not the allegations against him will be proven or disproven in the future...I doubt it. The settlement that was made in 1993 overshadowed the fact that he wasn''t criminally charged, and his aquittal in 2005 doesn''t seem to be enough for sceptics either. If now, after his death, evidence is found at his residence that could work to prove the allegations--but the absense of such proof will not clear his name. Short of the two boys coming forward and admitting that they were lying (which I don''t think will ever happen) this cloud will forever hang over his legacy. It''s very sad because I believe with my whole heart that he was innocent. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
I stayed home today to watch the tribute...

I cried off and on. It was touching, beautiful. But when Paris spoke, then curled herself into Janet...well, my heart just broke.

I cannot imagine what being "Michael Jackson" must have been like. He was talented, troubled, loved and sometimes hated. But, at the end of the day...what we should all be able to cohesively take away from this day...is that he was a father, a brother, and a son. He didn''t belong to us, his fans...he belonged to his family--and they loved him, they miss him. Anyone who has ever lost a love one must understand their anguish, and that is what should be respected at this time.

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
I thought it was a perfect memorial for Michael. Watching Brooke Shields talk was heartbreaking but when Paris talked, that was just the saddest thing I think I've ever seen. The poor child wanted to say something but it seemed so hard for her to speak. Just so sad for the kids.

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
It was a beautiful tribute. Once his family took the stage to speak, and they had the kids on stage for the songs (we are the world and heal the world), I pretty much lost it.

I do feel that he was innocent. I do feel that he gave his life to ''us''.

His soul will rest well, knowing that he was loved and will be adored and remembered all over the world for a very, very long time.

RIP.

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
It was really sad when his siblings and children were on the stage...

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/7/2009 3:58:51 PM
Author: Linda W
The memorial service really touched me. It was beautiful. I loved how Brook talked about their younger years together.

I also teared up when his daughter Paris spoke. It also got to me, when they were wheeling his casket out, and people were saying ''rest Micheal''.
Me too. I thought it was very touching. Paris is an amazing young lady. When she spoke, the tears ran down my face....

Brooke was awesome.

I loved Maya''s poem ...

This Memorial blew me away. A great tribute indeed....

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was really impressed by Jermaine Jackson''s rendition of "Smile". His voice pleasantly shocked me. It resembles his brother''s so much- older, more mature, fuller, but still similar. I hope Jermaine remains in the spotlight. He seems like such a decent man and he''s always so together, no matter what''s going on. I can understand why Michael regarded Jermaine as his rock.

Even having watched the memorial service today, it''s STILL so hard to believe that Michael is gone.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
I caught the highlights on LKL & AC360. It was all very moving, very respectful and very fitting, Paris and Jermaine especially. But the thing that got to me the most was this picture in today''s edition of the UK''s Daily Mail - Blanket and his Michael Jackson doll:

blanket and mj doll.jpg

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/7/2009 4:06:25 PM
Author: dragonfly411
Maisie - I'm thinking..... and Hoping... that the casket was probably empty, and meant to be there as an icon?

I'm hoping to watch a replay tonight.

No, Michael's body was in the casket. It was reported on all of the news stations. On the video you could see a couple of his brother's kissing the casket, after they brought it in. It was heartbreaking.

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
I was talking to my mom today and she left work early to watch the memorial. She told me that growing up, there were not really a lot of African American artists on TV and that whenever the Jackson 5 were on, they would watch. She was really into the AL Sharpton speech. And the Congresswoman from Texas. It was all very informative. I wasn''t born until 1984 and by the time I started watching TV, it wasn''t hard to find African American artists on television. And I''m glad I was able to watch the memorial and learn those things because, for a lot of my generation, I think it''s something that is taken for granted.

The highlights, for me, were the gospel choir at the beginning, the Sharpton and Jackson-Lee speeches, Jermaine singing smile, and Paris at the end. If I didn''t know any better, I think Janet is going to be the one that ends up with the kids.

merrymunky

Brilliant_Rock
It was a very fitting tribute to one of our greatest stars.

I was SUCH fan as a child, literally obsessed. As an adult I was not. But looking back this last week or so I can see why I was so obsessed. I see exactly what I loved about him.

When Paris spoke m heart broke and the tears I had kept at bay during the whole event flooded out! Even my fiance had a tear in his eye. Those poor, poor children.

I hope Janet gets custody too, they seemed close to her. I would HATE them to be under Joseph Jackson''s influence too.

Did anyone see just how disinterested he looked up on the stage? I only saw him once and he looked like he was chewing gum, with one hand in his pocket, slouching. It looked SO disrepectful.

brightlight

Brilliant_Rock
Every time they show the clip of Paris on stage saying how much she loves her daddy, I get teary.

It really bothers me that the media has focused so much on whether he''s those children''s biological father when discussing custody. It doesn''t matter. He was the only father they''ve known, he loved them, and they clearly loved him.

Lynnie

Brilliant_Rock
I watched it, and was moved to tears a few times. I thought it was a beautiful tribute.

I loved Stevie Wonder''s performance. Mariah''s - not so much. Her voice isn''t what it used to be. Jermaine was excellent also, such a beautiful voice.

Anyone notice Magic Johnson totally left out Joe Jackson out of his speech? He mentioned practically every family member but Joe.

I truly feel for those poor kids.

I was watching ABC. Martin Bashir was one of the commentators. He kinda annoyed me ''cause he said something like "In spite of this being a difficult time for the children, it seems as though they are entering a new, somewhat easier, time in their lives" (Very loosly quoted, I couldn''t find the true quote). He was referring, I guess, to their secluded pasts, but the way he said it, I was like, HUH ??
33.gif
33.gif

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
I finally caught some clips last night..so obviously only saw the *best* moments. I hope to maybe pick up or borrow a DVD eventually so I can watch it unfiltered.

Brooke Shields. the older brother (I forget his name, sorry!), Jermaine and of course Paris were the highlights for me (out of the speakers). All the music renditions were wonderful and emotional .. well Mariah's was a little rough to me.

It was a very classy tribute--I was surprised. I thought it would be disorganized and over the top. My sister and I were singing along to most of the songs (and we are over a decade apart in years). What a great job and I miss him more! I hope the media doesn't exploit Paris too much now,..it's already so overplayed and on every newspaper this morning.

In terms of the allegations, I actually sense that society/history is changing it's perspective. Nothing was ever proven but the assumptions were there by all (including me). But what IF he was being honest? That he was simply a bizarre child-man (due to his admitted extreme celebrity upbringing and isolation) who just enjoyed children's company and innocence? The rest of the world was quite cruel to him and judgemental. Every celeb-kid he hung out with has backed this up (Brooke, Maccaulaay, Webster, Donald Trump's kids, i.e. people who did not need money) and now his own children seem to boslter that--they seem to be so in love with their dad and incredibly well behaved and balanced. Of course it's only a brief glimpse we received, but what a difference from previous images of these children in masks and scarves. I hate to bring up this topic when we are all paying tribute, but just wanted to share an opinion/impression.

PS Gailey: love that photo!

Bia

Ideal_Rock
I loved the tribute. It felt like saying "Goodbye...and thank you."

15.gif

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/8/2009 9:28:17 AM
Author: Bia
I loved the tribute. It felt like saying ''Goodbye...and thank you.''

15.gif
I think it helped to give a lot of people the closure that was needed, even though the investigation will go on and the world is still waiting for those autopsy results and tox screens. I woke up this morning thinking I''d had enough news reports and watching motorcades and reruns of the tribute. It''s enough now. He''s gone.

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/8/2009 9:11:59 AM
Author: Lynnie

I was watching ABC. Martin Bashir was one of the commentators. He kinda annoyed me ''cause he said something like ''In spite of this being a difficult time for the children, it seems as though they are entering a new, somewhat easier, time in their lives'' (Very loosly quoted, I couldn''t find the true quote). He was referring, I guess, to their secluded pasts, but the way he said it, I was like, HUH ??
33.gif
33.gif
I flipped back and forth between MTV and CNN.
Martin Bashir is one of the slimiest, snakiest "journalists" out there. A pathetic excuse for a human being. He was voted 5th in the "100 Worst Britons" because he is self-serving, narcissistic, and evil.
He needs to put a sock in it.
20.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results