shape
carat
color
clarity

Michael Hill is giving away a 22ct Princess Cut Ring!

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock
I can't link the story as I am on my iPhone but I heard about it on the radio, saw an add on tv and googled it to find out more information...

Michael Hill purchased a 22ct princess cut stone (other specs not advertised) in September that he is having fashioned into an engagement ring that he plans on giving away to the worlds most loving couple.

The competition will be open to couples over the age of 18 in the US, Canada, Australia and New Zealand (could be others I am missing).
Couples will have to complete a series of online tests that will then be put to the public vote.

I believe he is doing this to gain popularity in the US. Michael Hill as a chain store is quite well known in Australia but he has had a lot of trouble cracking the US market.

I think the story/ comp will be launched in the media tomorrow, not sure when the actual comp starts though.

Kim Kardashian is helping him promote the competition by wearing the stone in publicity
shoots. (for quite a bit of money too).

Would any PSers consider entering? I'm not big on princess cuts but for 22ct I'm sure i could make an exception! :mrgreen:

Natylad

Ideal_Rock
Premium
He,he,he! Wasn't it at Michael Hill that our member, HotPozzum, was treated with such arrogance and rudeness? I think that instead of coming up with such ideas about giving away 22ct diamonds, they should just train their stuff better and teach them how to treat customers with respect. I suspect that this would be much more effective in making them more successful and popular... :Up_to_something:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Seriously, if I won it and for some reason was forbidden to sell it (which would be my first choice), I'd have it recut into an August Vintage Cushion!!! Haha!

Sizzle

Brilliant_Rock
We need pics!

amc80

Ideal_Rock
I just read through the website and looked at some of the "challenges" that need to be done to win. The questions are pretty personal....don't think I'll be entering.

mommy2nk

Shiny_Rock
I won't be entering but curious whant is P1 clarity??

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
mommy2nk said:
Grades, in order.....
IF
VVS1-2
VS1-2
SI1-2
I1-3
P1- ( i don't know how far the "P" scale goes, but the next grade down is Doogy doo)

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock
mommy2nk said:

LOL!!! It's P1 clarity????? That is JUST like Michael Hill!

In a press article I read it said that the diamond was of very 'high quality' but wouldn't list the specs.

I looked at some studs at MH last month and I could see the Inclusions in this half carat stud so clearly, a huge crystal took up the whole table. I asked the SA what the clarity was and she said "oh it's very very good!' I could see P1 on the tag attached to the stud. :rolleyes:

Yes! This is the same jeweler that Hotpozzum had to deal with and I agree that the money would be better off spent on staff training.

vanilla87

Shiny_Rock
I think it is so ugly! A friend of mine works there and they a replica in their store and it was horrible looking!! If i were to enter and win, i would sell it right away. P1 clarity in any size stone is eww, let alone in a 22CT!!

reader

Brilliant_Rock
I can't seem to find a picture of the ring straight on the face, can you?

iota15

Brilliant_Rock
I found a great video of it on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bStBAL7SqQ (not my personal video, so hopefully, it won't be taken down).

It looks pretty clean in the close-up shots.... but who knows, with all those bulbs flashing.

reader

Brilliant_Rock
A Pricescope person really should do this contest. We should all vote for them too.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
reader said:
A Pricescope person really should do this contest. We should all vote for them too.

It's tempting...

How many active members are on PS? :bigsmile:

Natylad

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rockdiamond said:
mommy2nk said:
Grades, in order.....
IF
VVS1-2
VS1-2
SI1-2
I1-3
P1- ( i don't know how far the "P" scale goes, but the next grade down is Doogy doo)

He, he, he, he :lol: :lol: :lol:

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
natyLad said:
He,he,he! Wasn't it at Michael Hill that our member, HotPozzum, was treated with such arrogance and rudeness?

Why, yes, I do believe so! This seems like a strange choice of promotion for a chain store that apparently doesn't spend the resources to train their staff to be professional and effective.

reader said:
:love: :love: :love: I would do it just to take pictures for all of you guys!!

But.. P1??? in the video it showed some sparkle so I am confused about this... oh man oh man...

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Michael Hill was in the celebrity marquee at The Melbourne Cup today, and he took the gargantuan ring with him!! Several of the female presenters on the TV tried it on, it is mahooooosive.

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
I put to you that any couple that has to advertise their love is probably not the most loving in the first place.

Silly Michael Hill.

:rolleyes:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have neither facebook nor twitter so that's easy :wacko:

I'm curious about the "challenges" though.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
DandiAndi said:
Michael Hill was in the celebrity marquee at The Melbourne Cup today, and he took the gargantuan ring with him!! Several of the female presenters on the TV tried it on, it is mahooooosive.

yup, and I noticed on the news footage they didn't show any actual close ups of that mahoosively included p1 stone - just distance shots of different B & C-grade celebs showing it off; although I'm pretty sure I managed to spot some inclusions regardless ;))

honestly, I don't know nor care what section of the market they are targeting with this promotion, but the least they could have done
is chosen a quality diamond that is SI1 or above...if the aim is to crack the US market, its a pretty backward approach, as has been demonstrated right here in this thread, the US market/consumer doesn't even recognize the P1 grade :roll:
Actually, I didn't even realize stores still sold P1 even here, cack :knockout:

imho, this promotion emulates and presents the Michael Hill chain perfectly - gimmicky, gaudy and ultimately, cheap & low quality goods - in this case, size is not everything!
I wouldn't shop there if it were the only jeweller in Au. As others have said, they'd be better served investing in training their staff in knowledge and manners, and perhaps also investing in some jewellery & diamonds that aren't from the 1990's in terms of quality and styles, rather than this ridiculous publicity grab.

*sigh* I really wish some Au jewellers could buy a clue sometimes!
well, until I remember I have PS and than I don't really care - except of course to feel bad for those local consumers who don't know any better :(sad

slg47

Ideal_Rock
imho, this promotion emulates and presents the Michael Hill chain perfectly - gimmicky, gaudy and ultimately, cheap & low quality goods - in this case, size is not everything!
hehe! I saw the video of Kim K wearing it-it is HUGE! If there is a size that is too big, then, well, that is it. I just wonder what everyday normal person is going to end up with a 22 carat honker? and if she will wear it around all the time?

amc80

Ideal_Rock
I didn't even know there was anything below I-3. While I've seen some decent I1 stones, I can't even imagine how bad a P1 must look. Does anyone have a pic of one they could share?

blingmyring

Shiny_Rock
I always thought that P1 (Pique 1) is the equivalent of an I1 ????

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Safe to say I won't be entering this competition......... :lol:

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well said as always, aj!! I giggled at the B & C grade celebs bit, in particular :bigsmile:

reader

Brilliant_Rock
I never heard of P1 before this post...but read the letter and number combo slowly and enjoy a giggle on par with the average eighth grade boy :tongue:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results