shape
carat
color
clarity

Michael B Question? Hurry before I get

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

house_64

Rough_Rock
Hello all, I''ve browsed this site to get ideas but apparently my girlfriend already has a ring picked out.... the Michael B Princess Ring (And from the looks of a lot of the post on this site, it seems overwhelmingly popular).

princess.gif

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c99/house_64/michaelb1.jpg" border="0">

My question:

Are there different carat weight for each of the setting? (I believe that there are in the wedding bands). The one she has her heart set on is approx. $3200-$3600 for the setting. The setting, to me, looks rather petite and thin.... does it come any bigger or is it appropriate for the size of a womans hand? Being a nieve man, once a "nice" diamond (claritywise) is in place what will that run price-wise? What size diamond is proportionate to the size of the setting? (okay ladies..... disclaimer: a "reasonable" size diamond!) Thank you in advance!

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are two versions: Princess and Petite Princess

Nice diamond means cut.

1 ct F VS2 is somewhere 6-8K, depending on cut.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Should clarify that, to men mostly, nice diamond means clarity. To women, it means size and sparkle.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
julie is right the setting comes in the petite (2mm) and the princess (2.2mm). I think a one carat is a wonderful size and would look beautiful in either setting. I actually had both sizes and styles (beadset and fishtail pave) sent to me to try on because I was considering this setting too. It''s very lovely. Here''s the link to my thread and a couple of pictures so you can see.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/michael-b-princess-rings-style-differences.44948/

michaelbprincessstep2.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You might want to compare prices at Pearlman's:

http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/jewelry-designers/michael-b-jewelry/rings/04P1/0/

I would not get the 3 sided pave because the two rings may damage each other. I also think 2mm is too thin and would probably get 2.2mm myself, and that is thin anyway. I agree with a 1 ct. stone. You can safely go to G or H color in an ideal cut stone. I prefer VS1 or VS2 clarity, but there are some good SI1's available as well.

Here are a couple of examples I pulled up from the database here:

http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-179761.htm# ($7325 with Pricescope/wire discount)

http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-179758.htm# ($6121 ")

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock

Oh YUM, I love that style!

My fishtail pave set was custom made by WF, very comparable look to the MB Petite. I didn''t especially care for the heads on the MB rings, so I had a different style put on my ring. The rings are absolutely gorgeous, I got exactly what I wanted, and as an added bonus - I spent way less than I would have spent buying the MB.

53wffishtailpave.jpg

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You asked what size would look proportional for such a thin ring.

I'd say around 0.75 carat would look proportional.
I think 1 carat would look a little big.

Most people like big.
But you asked what would look most proportional.

Disclaimer, I'm a man.

Those thin bands look fragile to me, especially after they get a row of diamonds set into them.
Have you considered durability and how active she is with her hands?
Just one opinion.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''ll have to disagree with Kenny! I don''t think a one carat diamond looks too big in any setting! I wouldn''t personally put a 2 ct. stone on a 2 mm band, but some people do.

Let me just add that I would choose Lynn''s settings over the Michael B. The diamonds look very secure to me and the overall look is so elegant.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think a 1 carat stone with a thin 2mm band will be gorgeous!!! I love the michael b look, but it''s rather overpriced. If you wanted you could have a very beautiful custom made ring from WF, jamesallen, leon mege or others with a similar look and a *somewhat* smaller pricetag. For example, you can see Lynnb''s gorgeous pave ring that was custom made by WF.

house_64

Rough_Rock
Thank you all so much for your replies.... a couple more questions though.

1. Mrssalvo stated bead-set and fishtail, I''m not familar with each nor can I differentiate the two. (very new to this topic). Can someone clarify? The two rings you displayed in the photo look dramatically different in thickness but they''re only .2mm difference? Is it much more in cost? Does it look too "beefy" on the finger?

2. Lynn, I think your ring is absolutely beautiful and agree with you completely regarding the head.... I''m not a fan of Michael B''s head design. Do you have a different side view of the head on your ring? I guess I need to contact WF and see how I go about getting design options... I''m assuming it''s all online/phone orders. (I''m in So. California and not familar with WF).

I don''t think I would go with a diamond smaller than 1 ct., I can see where Kenny is coming from but I get sucked into the mindset that "Bigger is better"........ but defiantely not larger than 1.25-1.5 ct.. I want to buy the diamond once........ so it won''t be "too small" later on. And she''s pretty active but I doubt it''ll be worn to the gym or gardening, etc. Thanks again all for your input!

house_64

Rough_Rock
One more thing...... Lynn, if you don''t mind me asking.... could you PM me, if there is such a function on this forum, the specifics of your ring? I think you stated it was 2.0mm but I''m not sure the carat weight of the settings, type of material, diamond size, etc.? Just trying to get an idea. Not sure how much I''ll save getting one made by WF or Pearlmans vs. buying the Michael B from the jeweler.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m sure someone better at doing links will give you the link to Lynn''s thread. Her ring is one of my faves on here. I adore the head on it. It''s sheer perfection, all around. Good luck!!! If you contact WF, www.whiteflash.com ask for Lesley. She is a pleasure to work with.
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results