shape
carat
color
clarity

Miami Antique Jewelry Show 2016

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was wondering if any of you here have attended in the past? I believe BBZiggy does, shout out to her too.

I'm making plans to attend this year. If anyone can speak to my question or give info they wish they'd had, I would appreciate that.

1. The show is both "to the trade" (wholesale) and to the public (retail).
I've been to Tucson going on 16 years now and the way Tucson makes the distinction is the public cannot get in to the trade shows. There *are* shows both the public and the trade attend and the trade gets their discount by showing their appropriate badge. Buying retail means get ready to negotiate or just pay the marked price.

--->Does Miami segregate trade from retail by using different areas of the convention center OR do they do the badge method?

--->Or do they split up timeframes, example: Trade = 12/noon to 4 PM, Public 4 PM - 8 PM?

I'm planning on reserving at a hotel right around the Miami Convention Center so I can have quick and easy access to the show, without a rental car. Anyone know which hotels are great or bad?

Thank you---Kristie

gemmyblond

Shiny_Rock
Di you mean the huge show in late Jan/early Feb? I've been, most recently a couple of years ago.
The 'trade' area was in a slightly different part of the enormous convention center when I went, but anyone could go in there and look/browse at any time. No special badge needed or different times. Having said that, whether or not some of those dealers were interested in talking to individuals is a separate question -- one that seemed to vary by booth and also time of day. Most were very accommodating and willing to at least talk about and show their merchandise if asked. Some of them had clearly new goods that didn't look at all antique, estate, or vintage as well as loose stones.
In my experience, the first day of the show involved a lot of activity between dealers. Many of them also got there early, before the doors opened, and traded amongst themselves.
As for hotels: there's a list of nearby decent hotels on the show website. Some were on a shuttle route and others were within a long but reasonable walk. It helps to book well in advance as many of the dealers stay at the same hotel year after year and so they get booked up quickly with returnees.
I had a great and over whelming time...went back every day for three days. Even in flats, my feet were fried but it was totally worth it!

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gemmyblond, thank you so much! I appreciate your specifics :appl: :read: :appl:

Yes, I was referencing the ginormous show end of January.

One thing I'm hoping to do at Miami is meet some of the dealers I can only view on-line, and try on what looks good online but it'd still be nice to be able to have *selection* and a try-on on MY hand rather than a pic of an employee with it on :lol:

I hear ya on the dealers getting it all wrapped up before the door even opens on the first day. There's always that dynamic at Tucson too BUT with so many vendors, that helps us blingie sorts quite a bit.

Well thank you so much, GemmyBlond!

Anyone else? BBZiggy, I'm gonna go post over on Hangout to see if I can get your eye :bigsmile:

bbziggy

Shiny_Rock
Hi Azstonie,
I've been going to the Miami Beach show since I was pretty young . Anyone can go into the show. If you are trade then you tell the dealer and you will get a dealers price. You will need your tax resale #. If not you just try to get the best price you can. I know many of the dealers after years and years of going. It is a sickness for me. Or I should say passion. :). I wait every year for the show. I have never been to the Vegas show. Is that open to the public as well? We used to have a great show every year in Coconut Grove that was the Clark Antique Show. It was more affordable. The Beach show has gotten pretty pricey. Sometimes you still find good things at a good price. It all depends on what they paid for the item. I think many times the pieces are bought by other dealers at the show. I have seen things move from one booth to another. I think before the show actually opens and the dealers are setting up they will by from each other and the price increases with every trade. :(

Let me know if you are going to go this year. I should say next year. It will be 2016. I would love to meet you and any other PSer who would like to meet up even if it is for a short hello. There is so much space to cover there. It will take days and you will never really see it all. My most favorite pieces have come from this show.

bbziggy

Shiny_Rock
Sorry as far as hotels I'm not sure where the best place is to stay. Check pricing and you can always take Uber to the convention Center. I took Uber one way and Lyft home. It was worth it! Parking is not super close and is expensive and a hassle. They usually run out of the closer parking pretty quick. I will Uber it again this next show.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great to hear from you, BBZiggy, thank you for posting.

I'll definitely be there and I think a few other PS-ers will be joining me. Love to meet up for coffee or drink or something and meet you :wavey: When the time gets closer, will post in Hangout to you, is that okay?

Any other PS-ers who are going to the Miami show, if you'd be interested in a meet up, please post!!

Good advice re Uber and Lyft.

I'm thinking I'll stay close to the Convention Center so I can walk to the show. I've been looking at hotels, seems like some nice places around the Convention Center.

Are you a Floridian?

bbziggy

Shiny_Rock
Great! Yes I am a Floridian. I have been going to the antique shows for almost 50 years ! My mom used to drag me along as a kid. I used to drag my kids along too in strollers when they were small. I could probably open a booth with all that I have collected over the years! I have thought about it. :twirl: Looking forward to meeting some of the faces behind the names. You will be overwhelmed the first Miami Beach Show you attend. It used to be larger with more antique furniture and furnishings.There is one side area now that has more of just new jewelry and some of the diamond dealers along with some antique jewelry. The main 2 sections have everything. Make sure you have great walking shoes and a light handbag as not to weigh you down. I use a cross body or waist belt bag. Nice to be hands free to look and touch!! a small snack is helpful as well. I usually pack a baggy with some nuts. You need energy and who wants to stop to eat when there is so much to see!! Be prepared to drool have a case of the I wants on so many things. I usually start on one end and work my way through.Many booths will be closed for the Sabbath starting Friday afternoon through Saturday. I will try to visit some of those dealers that I have known on Thursday or wait till Sunday. There is a method to the madness. I try to come away with one very special piece each year. It is considered my birthday,
anniversary, holiday gift from my husband. He knows that I wait every year for this. He will go back with me to look at some of my favorites. If I can't wait because I'm afraid it will be gone I'll shoot him a photo and put a deposit down. I'm already getting excited haha!!

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Now *I'm* excited, after reading your helpful posts!! :appl:

That is an excellent tip regarding Sabbath closures and also where vendors are located and how to approach the show. Thank you!!

If you think of or hear of anything else, please do post!

Its great to have a show veteran like you to point the way for us. Looking forward to a meetup with you, BBZiggy!

If you ever come to Tucson, lemme know, I've got 16 years under my belt there and I think I have it figured out, bwahahaha :lol:

bbziggy

Shiny_Rock
Azstonie, I'm going to post some of my favorite purchases from the Miami Beach Show over the years just to get you ever the more excited! You never know just what you'll find!!

20150608_143340_resized.jpg

20150608_143740_resized.jpg

20150608_143455_resized.jpg

20150608_144807_resized.jpg

bbziggy

Shiny_Rock
here come some more :)

20150608_143641_resized.jpg

20150608_144353_resized.jpg

20150608_144700_resized.jpg

20150608_145046_resized.jpg

bbziggy

Shiny_Rock
So Ok some more. It is a sickness , but don't forget I have been at this for years and years and years. I have many other favorites as well and some that I would like to send to a new home so I can feed my passion as my tastes have changed with time.

20150608_145258_resized.jpg

20150608_145800_resized.jpg

20150608_150821_resized.jpg

20150608_150637_resized_1.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ooh bbziggy, Wow and thank you for sharing your beautiful bling from the Miami show. :love: :love: :love:

Everything is GORGEOUS. :love: :love: :love:

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Drrrrrrrrrrrrrooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooling! :love: :love: :love: :appl: :appl: :appl:

That is an amazing collection of high quality antique jewels! Just STUNNING!!!

You have beautiful taste in jewels, BBZiggy, not that this is news to those of us who 'follow' your lovely pieces cough *rubyd/diamond ring* cough.

The NIRDI thread is considering having a pre-show yard sale of preloved jewels that are gathering dust yet still lovely and desirable; we would have this 'yard sale' over on Preloved assuming the Mod/s give permission for something like that. If we get permission, feel feel to join us!

gemmyblond

Shiny_Rock
Azstonie and bbziggy, I'm hoping to make it there again next year too, would love to meet up if you're there and available, along with any other PSers.

One more tip that's served me well: I go online ahead of time and download the show floor plan and brochure, then map out and label which of my favorite dealers are where so that I have a gameplan. I try to see them all early on, then leave more time to return and do a once-over of the whole floor just to take it all in and see what else might pop up.

Bbziggy - wow, beautiful pieces and a stunning collection! Truly lovely.

bbziggy

Shiny_Rock
Missy so sweet of you to comment. Thank you! Glad you like my past show finds.

Azstonie thanks for drooling and I know you are really excited now to plan your 2016 Show trip!! I would love to take part in a "yard sale" if it ever happens. I have many things I don't wear that just sit unloved. They would be much happier with a new family.:)

gemmyblond thank you for your kind words and compliments. Hope you do make it to the show. Also great tips for the show. Thanks!

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had to view the jewels again, BBZ, TDF :love: :love: :love:

Gemmyblond, will touch base before show, let's all meet up!

_lovesvintage_

Brilliant_Rock
I would love to go to this one day too! I just asked my husband about this show or the PS GTG for 2016 and he said Vegas... so I guess my goal is to meet some of you at that event. Hopefully I can make that work. Have a wonderful time for those that will get to attend the Miami show!!!

_lovesvintage_

Brilliant_Rock
bbziggy|1433793337|3886628 said:
here come some more :)

Love your collection from the show bbziggy!!! Especially the Victorian opal, diamond, and gold necklace! :love: I just found and recently purchased a Victorian opal ring and really love it! Those opals are in the same color family as your necklace. Aren't they just so mesmerizing?

bbziggy

Shiny_Rock
Hope to see you there lovesvintage!! I would love to see your Victorian opal ring! Something about antique jewelry that just makes my heart jump. I always wonder who were the people who wore these pieces. Kind off like the movie " Red Violin ".

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, bbziggy, your pieces are stunning. I especially love the one with the opal pendant with diamond drops, but they are all beautiful. And keep on going! :cheeky: Can't wait to see what you buy next.

bbziggy

Shiny_Rock
Aww thanks minousbijoux!

bbziggy

Shiny_Rock
Well the time is getting near!!! The Miami Beach Antique and Jewelry show starts three weeks from tomorrow. I am getting excited! Who else will be attending this year?? :wavey: :wavey:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bbzigy, Have a wonderful time and please take pics if possible for your PS sisters who cannot attend. I will be there in spirit and I am excited for you and some of the other PSers who I know are attending. It is an amazing show and one year I am determined to attend. Even if I have to drive all the way there. :appl: Have a wonderful time and hope you buy some gorgeous bling. :love: :love: :love:

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
bbziggy|1452116965|3971827 said:
Well the time is getting near!!! The Miami Beach Antique and Jewelry show starts three weeks from tomorrow. I am getting excited! Who else will be attending this year?? :wavey: :wavey:

Bbziggy, my peeps!!!! :wavey: :appl: :wavey:

Sadly, I will not be attending, dammit. There are 0 direct flights out of my airport (Phoenix) to Miami. I'd have to fly into LA or Seatac first, which doesn't work for me.

So I spent some of my budget on the diamond and ruby band I bought last month, and a gorgeous ring I bought from ihy.

What are your plans for the show, I can at least live vicariously through your show attendance :lol: =) :love:

bbziggy

Shiny_Rock
Oh no azstonie sorry you won't be able to make it this year. I was looking forward to meeting you. Maybe next year?? Glad that you got some goodies instead though to enjoy. Wonder if I'll meet any of the PS family there this year. I do plan to go all days of the show if I can. It is an awful lot of walking though over 5 days! I never make it all of the way through the first day. You can go every day and see new things even in booths you thought you saw everything at. Many time items change hands from dealer to dealer before and during the show.

Thanks for the good wishes for a fun time Missy! I will be sure to take some pictures of some of the special or crazy bling and post some of them for you. Hope you also get a chance to experience the show one year. It is such a wonderful display of jewelry and other antique items. I always love looking at everything and seeing the dealers that have gotten to know me over many years of window shopping or actual purchasing.I am not sure of my mission this year yet, but I do have a big birthday this year and DH knows I'm on a mission to find something that I love.

Would love to know anyone going!!!

bbziggy

Shiny_Rock
Well off I go today! It begins!!! Pictures to follow later tonight or tomorrow. :wavey:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hope you are having a terrific time there bbziggy! MayK you too! I hope you girls find some amazing antique bling! :love:

derbygal

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hope you find some amazing things this year, bbziggy. If so, please do share. We would love to continue to follow your antique adventures! :appl: :appl: :appl:

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My consolation prize is the hubs and I are off to the Tucson Gem & Mineral Show tomorrow. I shouldn't complain!!! Looking forward to your pics.

bbziggy

Shiny_Rock
Aww thanks you guys!! I did have a very fun day and took some pictures that I posted in Show me the Bling tonight. I did not buy anything yet ! Didn't even make it through the whole show today.Who knows maybe tomorrow is the day!
Azstonie I do hope you find something great at the Gem and Mineral show tomorrow! Have fun!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results