shape
carat
color
clarity

Methylisothiazolinone-highly allergenic and widely used

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just wanted to share something I learned recently that I had never heard of before and could help someone else.

Got a call from the nurse at school yesterday that my son had a rash on his face that looks like poison ivy although there was no exposure to the plant recently, so I know right off we could rule that out. The rash was mainly on his forehead and cheeks and there is a long scratch on his face that is bumpy, just like poison ivy would be. I realized I had bought some new shampoo recently and he had used it twice.

As it turns out the areas on his face affected are where you would see the shampoo runoff from his head. I still didn't know what the exact ingredient was that was causing this but a quick Google search of the ingredients turned up this ingredient:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methylisothiazolinone

This chemical is banned in cosmetics and personal care products in Europe and Germany and had restricted use in Japan and Canada. It may also be neurotoxic. It produces that poison ivy type rash which also is painful and causes a burning sensation on the skin. This is a chemical that was previously used in antibacterial soaps but has found a new calling in personal care products since consumers have caught on to parabens.

Really makes me sick that they can use something this toxic and allergenic in this country. So I figured that maybe some of you would want to know about this because you would have no idea otherwise and it can greatly aggravate an existing condition such as Rosacea or eczema.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh interesting, thanks for the link! I found this little tidbit:

In 2016, the Canadian government revised its Hot List to include additional warnings about this ingredient. Leave on products may no longer be formulated with this ingredient. As of June 2016, children's products with this ingredient can no longer be sold in Canada. In August 2016, the European Union banned MIT from leave-on products. Companies selling in the EU have until Febraury 2017 to reformulate products to exclude MIT.

So hopefully it's on the way out!

eta - Also found that its in a lot of baby wipes, and parents can mistake diaper rash for the effects of MI/MIT. That's a bit scary too.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results