shape
carat
color
clarity

Metallic Gray/grey spinel

peppermintpatty

Brilliant_Rock
@Snowdrop13 @peppermintpatty is Haydenfred still in business? I know she closed her Etsy shop for close to a year now, and a Google search only yields the Etsy shop on the first page and an Instagram account that features more personal pictures.

Yes! She just posted on instagram today:) Are you writing it on like Snowdrop13 did? With the dash?

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
Maybe, maybe not, to me it sounds more like "romancing the stone" make it sound cool so you can charge more. Thats like calling a ruby pigeon blood, which is in my personal opinion not a pretty color. As it is, gemstones are an emotional purchase. We as consumers need to be extremely saavy and keep our wits about us with each purchase.

Now, as I've said to me that dosen't look metallic and I'll stand by that. Its not me saying they're not lovely, they are, its me saying I don't see metallic anything

these are metallic.

All Spinel has the same optical properties. It is not like high zircon, medium zircon, low zircon. Those optical properties are all the same. The only thing that would differentiate how dispersion and luster looks on spinel to the unaided eye would be the tone, saturation, cutting, and polish. These stone look decently cut with a good polish. In a tone as dark as they are, you are going to have a metallic look in certain lights. It is just the way they are built.

Spinel does not have a true metallic luster. It is vitreous. But nicely cut and polished dark spinel’s have somewhat of a metallic look. People use the word metallic for that. Sure, it's not scientifically quantified, but nevertheless, the eye can be tricked by light.

As far as “romancing the stone” there is no romancing physical properties. Sure, you can romance with photoshop. But these stones look very natural to me, considering they are filmed in tropical light. Which is much stronger than temperate. That is why stones appear to be more vivid, especially warm and hot colors outdoors in the tropics, while the same stone will look much cooler in New York City. All to do with light.

I’m not advocating with the OP should by these or not. Just talking about optics.

Last edited:

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Snowdrop13 @peppermintpatty is Haydenfred still in business? I know she closed her Etsy shop for close to a year now, and a Google search only yields the Etsy shop on the first page and an Instagram account that features more personal pictures.

Yes, I think so, she posted this earlier, plus stories with spinel suites.

9EF784B1-8BC8-41C7-A73E-C10DCA1D3811.jpeg

voce

Ideal_Rock
Yes! She just posted on instagram today:) Are you writing it on like Snowdrop13 did? With the dash?

Oh, good catch. I guess she's decided not to continue selling on Etsy. But Instagram requires me to sign in these days. :sick::sick: will resist longer.

Candylover

Rough_Rock
Someone mentioned they wanted to know my thoughts when my stones arrived. I just received them now and have unpacked. They are not the grey tone that I thought they would be. Nothing like on the video they sent me. VideoCapture_20200720-153602.jpg They were not dark grey but light grey with tint of blue. They do look like a perfectly matched pair and received 2 AIG certificates. To be honest, I felt disappointed that they were not dark grey as that was what captured me originally. They are beautiful but I am not sure what to do with them....Attached is a photo I took indoors. FYI they are 3.56ct and I paid $860 for them. 20200724_151740.jpg

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello PSers! It is my first time posting on here. I'm looking for some advice on purchasing through Instagram.
I stumbled upon a profile, and am enamoured by a few different metallic Gray spinels that they have posted.
I am looking at purchasing 1, but am debating between 2 of them.
I think what they are asking is a bit high. The range varies between $329/CT to $372/CT
I have never seen a metallic grey spinel in person, so I'm wondering if it will be all I will think it is in person.

Looking for advice on:

*Buying off of Instagram-how to know if the company is reputable. Also does anyone know this company?
I have some reservations about doing this, seems kinda sketchy to me. Their website is kind of lacking as well, but it could very well be that they are just based in Bangkok, and get most of their business in person or via insta.

*things to look for in a good quality metallic spinel.

My mom's has worked in jewellery for the majority of her life, unfortunately she hasn't imparted as much knowledge of gemstones over to me. Whenever I ask her questions now she gets annoyed and tells me she "doesn't want to talk about work" which I respect, so i am incredibly greatful for this community!! Any help/insight/tips would be appreciated!

I saw those and I follow this IG as well, but have never purchased from him.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Someone mentioned they wanted to know my thoughts when my stones arrived. I just received them now and have unpacked. They are not the grey tone that I thought they would be. Nothing like on the video they sent me. VideoCapture_20200720-153602.jpg They were not dark grey but light grey with tint of blue. They do look like a perfectly matched pair and received 2 AIG certificates. To be honest, I felt disappointed that they were not dark grey as that was what captured me originally. They are beautiful but I am not sure what to do with them....Attached is a photo I took indoors. FYI they are 3.56ct and I paid $860 for them. 20200724_151740.jpg

They don’t look like a darker grey you hoped for in multiple environmental lightings you’ve checked them out in?

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
...in multiple environmental lightings you’ve checked them out in?

Agree with this. Carry them around for a few days -- outside, inside...

I think they're lovely and I like that tone!

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Relevant to your post:

This person is an amazing faceter and very attuned to realistically representing his (?) gems.

This is why images are so hard to trust now -- automatically boosted saturation and contrast.

Maybe ask the vendor to use an old phone next time...

sutragems post.jpg

Candylover

Rough_Rock
They are pretty, I guess its because it is not what I expected so I was shocked. But to answer the OP, I think the heavier price tag goes towards the AIG certificate and cutting. The stones shine in all direction so they will be eye catching. I think its down to how much we are willing to pay for a grey spinel, as currently pricing seems to be a bit over the place from supplier to supplier. I think I will keep them as it would be a hassle to send them back and they are still pretty despite not as dark as I thought it would be. I might pair it with my small paraibas as an earring 20200724_155918.jpg

Candylover

Rough_Rock
Relevant to your post:

This person is an amazing faceter and very attuned to realistically representing his (?) gems.

This is why images are so hard to trust now -- automatically boosted saturation and contrast.

Maybe ask the vendor to use an old phone next time...

sutragems post.jpg

I agree but how many people are still walking around with iPhone gen 1? I guess that's a risk we will all have to take when shopping online. But definitely worth to ask or at least ask them to send more photos during different lighting.

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock

Looking at your original picture. I could tell they were light to medium light in tone. The thing is with finger pics is not only do you see some extinction that is already present in the stone(s) but also where the skin texture touches the stones create dark areas. The camera’s shadow can add to this effect. The combination can make stones look darker in tone. Look to the lightest areas, as chances that is the true tone.

Sorry it did not work out for you.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They are pretty, I guess its because it is not what I expected so I was shocked. But to answer the OP, I think the heavier price tag goes towards the AIG certificate and cutting. The stones shine in all direction so they will be eye catching. I think its down to how much we are willing to pay for a grey spinel, as currently pricing seems to be a bit over the place from supplier to supplier. I think I will keep them as it would be a hassle to send them back and they are still pretty despite not as dark as I thought it would be. I might pair it with my small paraibas as an earring 20200724_155918.jpg

Oxidized metal setting / inside the basket for them? The prongs themselves don’t need to be oxidized........
Just the spinel, not the tourm

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Rfisher thank you for your kind words! This stone and ring is so me:) I’m very happy with how it all turned out!
I actually need to do a couple of new threads! The next four days are crazy! Monday is my goal to get that done! If you have any questions you just ask:) Thanks again!

My questions to you on your gorgeous ring:
What metal did you choose for the basket area
How open is it from below/side
And how -if anything- did the appearance of the grey spinel change in your environment from before setting to after?

Thank you!!!!!

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock

That combo will be beautiful and the addition of oxidized baskets would be killer sophisticated!
Oxidized metal setting / inside the basket for them? The prongs themselves don’t need to be oxidized........
Just the spinel, not the tourm

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Or rhodium - :googly eyes: -depending on what metal.....

peppermintpatty

Brilliant_Rock
My questions to you on your gorgeous ring:
What metal did you choose for the basket area
How open is it from below/side
And how -if anything- did the appearance of the grey spinel change in your environment from before setting to after?

Thank you!!!!!

@Rfisher you are so kind!
The entire ring is made out of 14k white gold.
I will get a picture Monday at the latest. It is open at the bottom- as open as it possibly could be. I want to be able to clean it underneath.
That is a good question! I feel like I scarcely had the stone and sent it to be set. I guess I would say I don't know if I saw it as dark as it can be in certain light as some of the pictures show. I did not see the blue I see now, but I love it!!! It has a lot of sparkle. I think it did unset too. I don't have a holder so I am not the most comfortable carrying my stones around my house. I also feel when I am looking at a stone to purchase or one of my own stones, I don't like the stone sitting between the fingers. I like the stone in a holder so I can really see the stone.

You are welcome!!!! I will get a picture to you, promise! If you have any other questions just let me know :)

peppermintpatty

Brilliant_Rock

@Candylover I feel it is hard to get the right color without seeing the stones in person. There are people that can photograph them really well and others that don't always get it how I want it. I am not shy to ask for it to be held by a holder instead of between the fingers. I will ask for outside - both in the shade and sunlight. I feel they have to know if I can't see the stone, really see it , I won't buty it. I have gone from a no to a yes by asking for this to be done. One of my favorite photographers now puts the stone in a ring holder on her finger. It makes so much difference. So ask for different lighting situations, not on the finger, or ask for videos. There are times I don't do that- or I am going to miss out on the stone. So you do have to weigh that too.

I realize the color is not what you thought it would be and for that I am sorry. I will say this I think the color is beautiful, both ways!!!! I love it with your paraiba!!! I think the color is unique. Very pretty!!! I see you have decided to keep them! Yay!!! Enjoy them. They are really beautiful!!!! Like me, you are learning. If you had to have things not work out exactly as you expected, you sure got it close. I hope you will let us see them after they are set:)

Candylover

Rough_Rock
@Candylover I feel it is hard to get the right color without seeing the stones in person. There are people that can photograph them really well and others that don't always get it how I want it. I am not shy to ask for it to be held by a holder instead of between the fingers. I will ask for outside - both in the shade and sunlight. I feel they have to know if I can't see the stone, really see it , I won't buty it. I have gone from a no to a yes by asking for this to be done. One of my favorite photographers now puts the stone in a ring holder on her finger. It makes so much difference. So ask for different lighting situations, not on the finger, or ask for videos. There are times I don't do that- or I am going to miss out on the stone. So you do have to weigh that too.

I realize the color is not what you thought it would be and for that I am sorry. I will say this I think the color is beautiful, both ways!!!! I love it with your paraiba!!! I think the color is unique. Very pretty!!! I see you have decided to keep them! Yay!!! Enjoy them. They are really beautiful!!!! Like me, you are learning. If you had to have things not work out exactly as you expected, you sure got it close. I hope you will let us see them after they are set:)

Yes this is definitely a lesson learned, I guess I really liked the stones and bought them too hasty which is very unlike me. The supplier is still reliable in the sense that they answered all my questions through IG and also had a call with them on whatsapp and have super fast shipping. For expensive stone (I.e emeralds, ruby) it may be better to go with them as they provide certificates which is an added insurance.

Thanks for the kind and supportive words! I will set them later in the year when its more safe to do so =)2 will post photos once they are set

lola_86

Rough_Rock
Those are pretty dark. They will look darker in person, too, imo.

Your Mom may not know the answers to your more sophisticated questions. I've been in some of the nicest shops in the nicest cities and almost no one knows as much about colored stones as a reasonably well-informed PSer. I'm lucky if I can find someone who knows if they even have any unheated sapphires, for example. They all know way more than I do about the jewelry business, though -- the margins on various items, etc. And diamonds. Everybody can go on and on about diamonds...

She definitely does go on and on about diamonds I asked her about yellow sapphires once her response was "Why?"

lola_86

Rough_Rock

Absolutely love your ring!! I have been loving the unique color range of grey spinels, thank your for the recommendations. I did end up asking for a few other pictures of them spinels in different lighting, but they ended up looking the same to me, and there was something off about the cut of the smallest one in the second video they sent me. There is a gem show coming up next week, so I'm hoping there will be some grey spinels to look at while I am there!

lola_86

Rough_Rock
Hi Arcadian, OK I will respond here once I get them tomorrow. Yes I plan to turn them into earrings. The oval pair will be on the top adorned with a halo of gemstones (either white diamond/sapphire or neon coloured gemstones e.g. pink spinels) with the option to add/remove the pear spinels and wear the ovals by themselves.

Thank you so much for sharing your experience! I love your idea for the earrings! It is a bit disappointing that the color wasn't quite what you were hoping/what was visually shown. I think the paraiba pair will be really pretty! Please share when you have finished creating!! I can't wait to see how they turn out!

Last edited:

lola_86

Rough_Rock
@lola_86
We need to see pictures (not super bright lighted pictures like you posted from the vendor) of what you are looking for in a grey spinel.
Hence the ‘too dark’ comments.
msybe-that’s what you are looking for? We do not know.

the stones in the insta pic you shared will indeed be darker unless light is shining on them in a certain way

7E15A04F-D7F7-4633-99D2-92667942B11B.jpeg 8B6972FB-1EAB-453E-BFF2-F26E2247C63A.jpeg
This is mine -you can see it’s ‘pretty dark’ but it does have a varying personality.
I’d love a medium light tone one this large or larger with no Blue/yellow modifiers -but it would have cost more and are not as easy to find.

I asked them for another video, which they did provide in an outdoor light, and alternative lighting, as another pser stated it is really difficult to not be emotional when purchasing gems stones, so I took a step back and gave myself some space to see if it was something I felt confident in. There were some things that stood out to me in the videos that I wasn't 100% confident in (the cut on the back of the stone looked a little funny) I thought it would be best to figure out what I am actually looking for before I purchase. I guess what I am looking for is something that is nice and dark, but will also give off some sparkle and attitude in the light, kind of chameleon-y. I love the varying personalities of your stone!

peppermintpatty

Brilliant_Rock
Omg, this is a clone of the Hope Diamond. I saw it in person last August (2019), and not only is it this exact grey color, with sparks of blue, but the shape, cut, wow. You saved yourself $100,000,000!

Here’s my photo of the Hope, and it this exact color.

F9192878-AC71-45EB-A9A2-DA60B5D69D2A.jpeg

@T L That is so awesome you saw the Hope Diamond in person!!! Thank you so much for the picture and for letting me know. That is the most money I have ever saved!!!! You made my day! Thank you!!!!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@T L That is so awesome you saw the Hope Diamond in person!!! Thank you so much for the picture and for letting me know. That is the most money I have ever saved!!!! You made my day! Thank you!!!!

Your ring is beautiful, now you have even more to enjoy about it, like saving all that money! Lol!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results