shape
carat
color
clarity

Metallic Gray/grey spinel

lola_86

Rough_Rock
Hello PSers! It is my first time posting on here. I'm looking for some advice on purchasing through Instagram.
I stumbled upon a profile, and am enamoured by a few different metallic Gray spinels that they have posted.
I am looking at purchasing 1, but am debating between 2 of them.
I think what they are asking is a bit high. The range varies between $329/CT to $372/CT
I have never seen a metallic grey spinel in person, so I'm wondering if it will be all I will think it is in person.

Looking for advice on:

*Buying off of Instagram-how to know if the company is reputable. Also does anyone know this company?
I have some reservations about doing this, seems kinda sketchy to me. Their website is kind of lacking as well, but it could very well be that they are just based in Bangkok, and get most of their business in person or via insta.

*things to look for in a good quality metallic spinel.

My mom's has worked in jewellery for the majority of her life, unfortunately she hasn't imparted as much knowledge of gemstones over to me. Whenever I ask her questions now she gets annoyed and tells me she "doesn't want to talk about work" which I respect, so i am incredibly greatful for this community!! Any help/insight/tips would be appreciated!

lola_86

Rough_Rock
They also stated they would shop through DHL Express is that normal? I read through DHL that they don't shop gems over $100, but I'm not sure if that is a just a US thing.

peppermintpatty

Brilliant_Rock
I have purchased from them once. It went smoothly and the spinel was as described. You will pay for shipping. I can't remember if it was 25 or 50.

As far as those three spinels go, I personally like the smallest one the best. Seems to sparkle the most and to my eye has a somewhat purple undertone.

Good luck deciding.

One last thing, I feel they have a lot of gemstones- a ton! I don't know that if you are looking for a more precision cut this will make you as happy. I have a stone from them and a couple of others that are to me not precision cut. Now I have 8 precision cut stones. Saltgems Co and Premier Gemstones. There is a difference! So do I personally think those are overpriced, no. It is of course what value you put on those stones. For me in the very beginning I felt it was a good place to start. As I have purchased more, I find I like the precision cut better. I am also willing to pay for that though...

lola_86

Rough_Rock
I have purchased from them once. It went smoothly and the spinel was as described. You will pay for shipping. I can't remember if it was 25 or 50.

As far as those three spinels go, I personally like the smallest one the best. Seems to sparkle the most and to my eye has a somewhat purple undertone.

Good luck deciding.

One last thing, I feel they have a lot of gemstones- a ton! I don't know that if you are looking for a more precision cut this will make you as happy. I have a stone from them and a couple of others that are to me not precision cut. Now I have 8 precision cut stones. Saltgems Co and Premier Gemstones. There is a difference! So do I personally think those are overpriced, no. It is of course what value you put on those stones. For me in the very beginning I felt it was a good place to start. As I have purchased more, I find I like the precision cut better. I am also willing to pay for that though...

Thank you for your insight! The smallest one is the one I really have had my eye on! I love the proportions, and that little colored under tone. This would be my first gem stone purchase, so I appreciate that! With Covid, I haven't been able to see any in person (since I have started on my gemstone journey).

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those are pretty dark. They will look darker in person, too, imo.

Your Mom may not know the answers to your more sophisticated questions. I've been in some of the nicest shops in the nicest cities and almost no one knows as much about colored stones as a reasonably well-informed PSer. I'm lucky if I can find someone who knows if they even have any unheated sapphires, for example. They all know way more than I do about the jewelry business, though -- the margins on various items, etc. And diamonds. Everybody can go on and on about diamonds...

peppermintpatty

Brilliant_Rock
Have a look at haydenfred_gems too, they have lots of grey spinel on their feed, all different shades.

I have purchased from her too. She is a dream to work with and really great prices!!! My grey from her is around 3 carats and was 270!

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
Nicest thing about darker toned grey Spinel is it makes the dispersion pop and gives it a metalic look. Just like black opal makes color pop. Yes, DHL or Fed Ex is normal from Bangkok dealers. That is what you want, as you can wait a few weeks otherwise to get your stone. But beware, some of these vendors charge more money than it costs to ship. DHL should be in the $20-25.00 range. Fed Ex should be $35.00-$45.00. Depends on how much shipping vendors do with them. The more business they do, the better the rates they get.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@lola_86
We need to see pictures (not super bright lighted pictures like you posted from the vendor) of what you are looking for in a grey spinel.
Hence the ‘too dark’ comments.
msybe-that’s what you are looking for? We do not know.

the stones in the insta pic you shared will indeed be darker unless light is shining on them in a certain way

7E15A04F-D7F7-4633-99D2-92667942B11B.jpeg 8B6972FB-1EAB-453E-BFF2-F26E2247C63A.jpeg
This is mine -you can see it’s ‘pretty dark’ but it does have a varying personality.
I’d love a medium light tone one this large or larger with no Blue/yellow modifiers -but it would have cost more and are not as easy to find.

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
They also stated they would shop through DHL Express is that normal? I read through DHL that they don't shop gems over $100, but I'm not sure if that is a just a US thing.

They ship gems over $100.00. Much higher. Most dealers overseas will declare a much lower value on their stones to ship. To get around their own customs and the country that the stone(s) are being shipped to customs. So, the customer does not have to pay high customs or VAT fees.

peppermintpatty

Brilliant_Rock
Yowza!
:love:
Need more info and more pictures
New thread?!?!?
I have sooooo many questions for you on this
:hubba hubba:

@Rfisher thank you for your kind words! This stone and ring is so me:) I’m very happy with how it all turned out!
I actually need to do a couple of new threads! The next four days are crazy! Monday is my goal to get that done! If you have any questions you just ask:) Thanks again!

Candylover

Rough_Rock
Hello PSers! It is my first time posting on here. I'm looking for some advice on purchasing through Instagram.
I stumbled upon a profile, and am enamoured by a few different metallic Gray spinels that they have posted.
I am looking at purchasing 1, but am debating between 2 of them.
I think what they are asking is a bit high. The range varies between $329/CT to $372/CT
I have never seen a metallic grey spinel in person, so I'm wondering if it will be all I will think it is in person.

Looking for advice on:

*Buying off of Instagram-how to know if the company is reputable. Also does anyone know this company?
I have some reservations about doing this, seems kinda sketchy to me. Their website is kind of lacking as well, but it could very well be that they are just based in Bangkok, and get most of their business in person or via insta.

*things to look for in a good quality metallic spinel.

My mom's has worked in jewellery for the majority of her life, unfortunately she hasn't imparted as much knowledge of gemstones over to me. Whenever I ask her questions now she gets annoyed and tells me she "doesn't want to talk about work" which I respect, so i am incredibly greatful for this community!! Any help/insight/tips would be appreciated!

Hi Lola_84, coincidently I bought from this supplier on Monday and also got two pairs of grey spinels. They ship via DHL (got DHL email confirmation that they have been shipped) and the shipping price was $50. You can ask them to put a low value on the duty form if you want to avoid paying too much on duty fee. After I paid for the stones I did feel it was overpriced compared to other suppliers like haydenfred_gems whom I contacted after I had bought the stones to inquire about her price....(oh well). I am due to receive my stones on Friday if you would like to know my opinion of them and their quality. Not an expert but at least i will be able to see if they are as sparkly as shown on the videos and if they are worth the 'heavy price i paid. VideoCapture_20200720-153602.jpg

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Lola_84, coincidently I bought from this supplier on Monday and also got two pairs of grey spinels. They ship via DHL (got DHL email confirmation that they have been shipped) and the shipping price was $50. You can ask them to put a low value on the duty form if you want to avoid paying too much on duty fee. After I paid for the stones I did feel it was overpriced compared to other suppliers like haydenfred_gems whom I contacted after I had bought the stones to inquire about her price....(oh well). I am due to receive my stones on Friday if you would like to know my opinion of them and their quality. Not an expert but at least i will be able to see if they are as sparkly as shown on the videos and if they are worth the 'heavy price i paid. VideoCapture_20200720-153602.jpg

$50.00 is high. Either they're gouging you for shipping or they don't use DHL that much.

Candylover

Rough_Rock
$50.00 is high. Either they're gouging you for shipping or they don't use DHL that much.

Yea they told me the shipping cost is the same irrespective of how many stones you are buying from them. So it is expensive if you only buy once from this supplier.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is the higher DHL price in any way related to filling out the duty:custom paperwork accurately?

I mean,someone willingly falsifying them and then coming back here that the pkg was lost and they had no recourse for refund/reimbursement would be not surprising to me.
Or does that fall under the vendor to suck up all that loss and make the consumer whole?

peppermintpatty

Brilliant_Rock

I felt 50 was high too. I have only bought one stone from them. They just do seem to have some stones that are not as easily found. I felt the price was fair, the shipping not so much!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
if you were looking for "metallic" I find these to be grey but not metallic. Largest one has a is more neutral, smallest one has more blue. I think it depends on what you're looking for in terms of "metallic" I don't find any of these it thought they do look nice.

btw, your ring is gorgeous. we need more pics;)2

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
Never had a package lost sent to me from DHL or Fed Ex. Actually never had a package lost sent to me. It is common precedure as I wrote above that oversea vendors always declare a lesser value. Just the way they do business. You can expect that.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium

will be very interested in your thoughts in person. are these meant to be earrings?

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Never had a package lost sent to me from DHL or Fed Ex. Actually never had a package lost sent to me. It is common precedure as I wrote above that oversea vendors always declare a lesser value. Just the way they do business. You can expect that.

Can we expect a Fred Flinstone collection thread soon? :)

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
if you were looking for "metallic" I find these to be grey but not metallic. Largest one has a is more neutral, smallest one has more blue. I think it depends on what you're looking for in terms of "metallic" I don't find any of these it thought they do look nice.

btw, your ring is gorgeous. we need more pics;)2

Depends on the light your looking at them in. These are probably taken under natural sunlight. If they were taken under LED, you'd see the metallic. But pictures of stones, the lighting conditions, the skill of the photographer all are tantamount to the perception of the stone. They may look very metallic in person. Dispersion has a lot to do with a metallic luster.

Candylover

Rough_Rock
will be very interested in your thoughts in person. are these meant to be earrings?

Hi Arcadian, OK I will respond here once I get them tomorrow. Yes I plan to turn them into earrings. The oval pair will be on the top adorned with a halo of gemstones (either white diamond/sapphire or neon coloured gemstones e.g. pink spinels) with the option to add/remove the pear spinels and wear the ovals by themselves.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry for threadjack OP!

When I have the the time. :)

Doesn’t take much more time than your current contributing!
and I do appreciate your contributions.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Depends on the light your looking at them in. These are probably taken under natural sunlight. If they were taken under LED, you'd see the metallic. But pictures of stones, the lighting conditions, the skill of the photographer all are tantamount to the perception of the stone. They may look very metallic in person. Dispersion has a lot to do with a metallic luster.

Maybe, maybe not, to me it sounds more like "romancing the stone" make it sound cool so you can charge more. Thats like calling a ruby pigeon blood, which is in my personal opinion not a pretty color. As it is, gemstones are an emotional purchase. We as consumers need to be extremely saavy and keep our wits about us with each purchase.

Now, as I've said to me that dosen't look metallic and I'll stand by that. Its not me saying they're not lovely, they are, its me saying I don't see metallic anything

these are metallic.

voce

Ideal_Rock
@Snowdrop13 @peppermintpatty is Haydenfred still in business? I know she closed her Etsy shop for close to a year now, and a Google search only yields the Etsy shop on the first page and an Instagram account that features more personal pictures.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results