shape
carat
color
clarity

Metal/Stone Advice

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think I've decided on a look to set my 9.8mm green tourm from Barry but now I have to consider what sides stones and what metal to use. My profile is going to look like the photo I've attached, but with only metal and not the side diamonds, but I will have stones along the shank.

Here's where the decision process comes in. I have two options in mind. One is very safe and I "know" will look fabu, and the other is less safe, but could wind up being so completely unique and perfect.

Option 1 (safe): Set it in white gold with pave diamonds on each side.
Option 2 (unique): Set it in rose gold with light pink sapphires (may even be able to use more pink sapphires on the profile)

Pink and green are my favorite colors so I don't think combining the two would be that bad, but I just wonder if it would be overkill. Let me know what you think.

IMG_7106.JPG

IMG_7108.JPG

profile.jpeg

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
Hey athena, that is such a lovely stone !!!!

I am not the one to be listening to.
But I am gonna vote for the Rose Gold with sapphires.....
Or maybe just white-white tiny diamonds

Others around here are much more skilled than I with setting ideas,
but I think that would be pretty!

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
I like green stones in rose gold, but I don't know what I think about sapphire pave. I'm generally not a fan of colored stone pave, hard to clean, hard to match and replace if you lose one--if I were to do a green tourm with pink sapphires, I'd do a three stone or five stone ring. My vote is rose gold head, and diamond melee in white gold.

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
IndyLady|1306778507|2933810 said:
I like green stones in rose gold, but I don't know what I think about sapphire pave. I'm generally not a fan of colored stone pave, hard to clean, hard to match and replace if you lose one--if I were to do a green tourm with pink sapphires, I'd do a three stone or five stone ring. My vote is rose gold head, and diamond melee in white gold.

Oooooo ~ that's my vote too !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
See, others here have much better ideas !!!
That sounds lovely and rich, to me. :love:

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Actually, all rose gold with diamonds may be the ticket! You sealed the deal with me when you mentioned cleaning Nothing makes me more i sane then a grimey ring. I'm not sure I'd appreciate the profile as much with mixed metals though.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
The whole setting in rose gold would look wonderful w/the green tourm, if you don't want to mix metals.

natsplat

Brilliant_Rock
With my similar Barry tourm, I'm going for 18k rose gold (so very rosey ;-) ) with two small champagne (on the pinky side) diamonds as side stones. For me white diamond melee would have been too bright in the colour palette. I'd totally advise you with a big yes on the rose gold! :D

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
This is why I was thinking light pink sapphires.

BR30600100_main.jpeg

natsplat

Brilliant_Rock
To my eye (in that example and others I've seen), the pink-pink of the sapphires clashes a bit with the peach-pink of the rose gold. But maybe one could obtain a peachier sapphire melee? But then matching them up if you ever lost one would be a nightmare! Thought: one could request warmer diamond melee, say j-k, and it would be possibly cheaper than usual high-colour melee?

I've typed melee too many times, and the word is now amusing me. Melee. :mrgreen:

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
natsplat|1306791785|2933943 said:
To my eye (in that example and others I've seen), the pink-pink of the sapphires clashes a bit with the peach-pink of the rose gold. But maybe one could obtain a peachier melee? Thought: one could request warmer diamond melee, say j-k, and it would be possibly cheaper than usual high-colour melee?

I've typed melee too many times, and the word is now amusing me. Melee. :mrgreen:
You're adorable. Yeah, that's a possibility too. :D

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
athenaworth|1306791505|2933931 said:

I love this color combination! Do you have any rose gold and pink stones that you could set your green stone with
to take some pictures? I think it would be a lovely combination!

Edit - doh! I know you have rose gold...can you add some small pink stones by it and post?

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
tyty333|1306793468|2933962 said:
athenaworth|1306791505|2933931 said:

I love this color combination! Do you have any rose gold and pink stones that you could set your green stone with
to take some pictures? I think it would be a lovely combination!

Edit - doh! I know you have rose gold...can you add some small pink stones by it and post?
I don't, unfortunately. I have to use my imagination.

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
I'm going to be the odd man out here, but I much prefer the white gold and white diamonds with your green stone. The rose gold could be pretty too but pink and green makes me think of watermelon...

faegrace

Shiny_Rock
Athena ~

Thought I might as well chime in.... ;-) If you want a cool, clean, crisp look that brings out all the blue tones of your beautiful tourmaline, then WG is the way to go. If you want to play down the blue tones, bringing the richer, warmer tones, go with RG/YG. I would stick with white diamonds no matter what (if they remain in your budget; I'm telling ya, get hold of Michael E.)

Good luck and keep us updated.

~ faegrace

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I actually contacted Michael E and he was nice enough to point me in the direction of another vendor for a nice filligree look (totally opposite of what I was thinking here - but I loved the filigree work on yours so much). So I may go that route. I'm going to talk to Doron again today and see what we can come up with.

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
athenaworth|1306873027|2934671 said:
I actually contacted Michael E and he was nice enough to point me in the direction of another vendor for a nice filligree look (totally opposite of what I was thinking here - but I loved the filigree work on yours so much). So I may go that route. I'm going to talk to Doron again today and see what we can come up with.

Which vendor did he point you towards for filigree? I always am up for filigree.....

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Aoife|1306873646|2934682 said:
athenaworth|1306873027|2934671 said:

Which vendor did he point you towards for filigree? I always am up for filigree.....
http://www.filigreerings.com/index.php?p=catalog&parent=1&pg=1

My concern is that filigree will close up my stone too much and make it too dark.

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
Well, I just saw something very tantalizing and beautiful. :naughty:
Why not consider a setting similar to this ( :sun: )
Only with rose gold prongs ....

(LOL)

keeper.JPG

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade

faegrace

Shiny_Rock
Athena, that filigree ring is very, very pretty. I think it would frame your tourmaline beautifully with it's delicate but also substantial metalwork.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results