shape
carat
color
clarity

Metal setting for solitare. 14K/18K White VS Yellow Gold VS Platinum

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

srbr

Rough_Rock
A local jeweler tried to steer me away from 18K ct. gold setting for a diamond solitaire due to a softer metal. But, I like the yellowier color on 18K vs. 14K. Then, the jeweler said that 14K white gold was better than 14K yellow due to it was more durable and had a better mix of metals that would make it more durable. But, platinum is the hardest and most durable (although more expensive). I have also had it recommended to me to have a 14K yellow gold with Platinum crown for better durability. The jeweler also said their 14K white gold had an outside coating that made it look whiter in the display case, but that coating may wear off a little. I''m not sure I would be interested in silvery plated white gold, but it seems to becoming more popular these days. Any comments? Sorry if this is not the right forum for this question.

srbr

Rough_Rock
Rhodium is what the local Jeweler called the plating they put on their white gold rings to make them look nicer in the display case. Does anyone know more about this rhodium stuff?

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
There should be a law against jewelers confusing consumers like this.

There should be no problem with you getting 18k yellow gold for a basic solitaire. However, for safety's sake (and also to allow the diamond to still look white), go with a platinum head. I see no reason to go with white gold or platinum if your preference is for yellow gold. That's like telling someone they should buy a black dress when what they want is a red dress.

The white gold thing is rather more complicated. Most white gold in the U.S. is made from a nickel alloy that doesn't mask the yellow in gold very well. As a result, it is plated in rhodium to give it a silvery finish. The plating wears off over time and has to be replated. A more difficult to find alloy, but well worth the effort, is gold alloyed with palladium. It gives a true silvery finish and doesn't have to be plated. There is also a 19k white gold that supposedly does the same thing, but doesn't seem to be easily available in the U.S.

Bottom line: if you like the yellow gold, get 18k yellow gold with a platinum head. And if your jeweler is worried about durability, maybe you should find a jeweler who is more confident of his products. Good luck.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Oh, I forgot to add that if I misinterpreted you and you *actually* like white gold over yellow, I would opt for platinum if, and only if, you can afford it. It's a more durable metal, though has a rather grayer appearance.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
call me strange but gold was ment to be well gold....
If I wanted a silver ring id go with plat. or even stainless steel.
Just because.....
Its a zen thing......order in the world......the way it was ment to be...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results