shape
carat
color
clarity

Met with Dave Atlas -- follow-up on previous posts (2.05ct bluenile purchase)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

about2begin

Shiny_Rock
old thread: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/got-the-stone-now-some-questions-strm-pls-look-lower-girdle-star-s.110222/

Hi everyone. Just reporting back after my visit to see Dave. I made the 40 minute drive to Horsham to see him b/c he came so highly recommended on here. Let me say, it was well worth the trip. Dave was kind enough to meet me at 8am and he took the time to answer every question I had without ever making me feel silly or like I was wasting his time. Really just a nice, professional gentleman. Couldn't hope for more.

Here's the verdict: It was fake. OK that's not true.

Dave said, before looking at the GIA cert, that he stone was likely SI1 and H but close to G. When he saw it was an SI2, he seemed pretty surprised. He said that the GIA cert over emphasized the feather and he thought the stone was a really solid SI1. I was pretty happy to hear that, of course.

He ran the stone through some of his light checking machines and the stone came back with excellent ratings. Dave also said it had great arrows and might even be classifiable as a H&A stone.

When I asked the most important question: Should I keep it -- he replied with a very confident, "yes." He estimated that I would have paid ~$18k for the stone and when I told him that I spent closer to $14,500 he felt like that was a great price. He said he was surprised that the seller hadn't resubmitted the stone to GIA to try to get an SI1 rating. Should I? I don't really care too much I suppose, but if it came back SI1, G that'd be cool.

Thanks for everyone's help...off to Leon Mege now.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
congrates!!

I wouldn't bother sending it back to GIA.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I personally wouldn''t bother sending back to GIA for a new cert. Glad it went well with Dave!! What Leon setting are you getting?? the ring will be fabulous for sure.

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
congrats! Happy it all worked out
36.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/25/2009 10:56:36 AM
Author: strmrdr
congrates!!

I wouldn''t bother sending it back to GIA.
Ditto and many congrats on your purchase!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
You can have every confidence as Dave has given it the thumbs up!

about2begin

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/25/2009 10:56:46 AM
Author: mrssalvo
I personally wouldn''t bother sending back to GIA for a new cert. Glad it went well with Dave!! What Leon setting are you getting?? the ring will be fabulous for sure.

Thanks for all the replies. L and Strm, you''ve been a big help along the way.

I''ll be going with his classic solitaire (cathedral) setting with single prongs. I want the shank to be ~1.8mm with micropave. I''ve seen the 401 style that some people have, and I love it. I just want to keep the cathedral element from the all-platinum solitaire. I''m going to give Leon a call later today to get a final estimate and figure out logistics.

You should see the drawing I sent Leon. It looked like it was made by a 3rd grader, using his off hand.

DKinLA

Rough_Rock
That is great news. I love happy endings. Congratulations.

about2begin

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/25/2009 11:25:10 AM
Author: DKinLA
That is great news. I love happy endings. Congratulations.

Thanks so much. Best of luck in your new search--I think you made the right call in sending back the stone with a visible inclusion (even if you were the only one who could spot it).

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations! Sounds like Dave was a great help! You ring should be lovely!

RBsearch

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/25/2009 10:50:58 AM
Author:about2begin
Dave said, before looking at the GIA cert, that he stone was likely SI1 and H but close to G. When he saw it was an SI2, he seemed pretty surprised. He said that the GIA cert over emphasized the feather and he thought the stone was a really solid SI1. I was pretty happy to hear that, of course.

Just out of curiosity, does the feather reach the girdle? (i.e., is it an open inclusion?) I wonder if that''s what made it SI2.

about2begin

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/25/2009 12:41:40 PM
Author: RBsearch
Date: 3/25/2009 10:50:58 AM

Author:about2begin

Just out of curiosity, does the feather reach the girdle? (i.e., is it an open inclusion?) I wonder if that''s what made it SI2.

I asked about that specifically and he said no. He said it is did not reach any surface or the girdle and presented no structural concern.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
A truly minute and short feather reaches the girdle and is not open to the surface. There was a quite long red line on the clarity plot that absolutely is not in the diamond. I think it was a random slip of the pen and not intentionally drawn, but what do I know about intent? I do know how to examine a diamond''s clarity.

This is one of those rare examples of a diamond graded quite harshly by GIA which was not resubmitted to appeal the grade or was inexpensive enough to sell profitably as SI2 and not waste time in an argument with GIA about "tough" grading. It was to the customer''s advantage and apparently he had shopped enough to know when he had a high potential of a bargain. You just don''t fall into these things and I believe this customer worked hard to find this diamond among many that he might have selected.

Glad to have been a part of his process. Thank you for the compliments, too.

about2begin

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/25/2009 4:26:26 PM
Author: oldminer
A truly minute and short feather reaches the girdle and is not open to the surface. There was a quite long red line on the clarity plot that absolutely is not in the diamond. I think it was a random slip of the pen and not intentionally drawn, but what do I know about intent? I do know how to examine a diamond''s clarity.

This is one of those rare examples of a diamond graded quite harshly by GIA which was not resubmitted to appeal the grade or was inexpensive enough to sell profitably as SI2 and not waste time in an argument with GIA about ''tough'' grading. It was to the customer''s advantage and apparently he had shopped enough to know when he had a high potential of a bargain. You just don''t fall into these things and I believe this customer worked hard to find this diamond among many that he might have selected.

Glad to have been a part of his process. Thank you for the compliments, too.

Sorry if my recollection of the meeting caused me to misquote you at all. I was just happy that the stone received your thumbs up and probably was just paraphrasing what was said during our appointment.

I can''t really see how people buy stones without using the services of an independent appraiser. Even if you really really trust a vendor, it''s nice to get a 100% impartial opinion. I mentioned to Dave that I wanted the harshest opinion possible (b/c I''d return the stone without thinking twice) -- if anything, his motivation would have been to tell me that this stone was no good so I could bring him a different stone, for a different appointment (this obviously didn''t happen). He also mentioned that a $40 full light-analysis report wouldn''t really be worth the money (I assume based on what he had already seen of the stone).

Unless you''re a seasoned and savy buyer--despite hours/days of research on here, I''m not--I highly recommend seeing an appraiser. If you''re near Horsham, PA (40 min outside of Philly), I highly recommend making the trip to see Dave, in particular -- just a totally professional and calming experience (perfect for novice buyers). It will be worth your while, and the expense of his service is really a small drop in the bucket (no matter what size stone you buy). I also got a quick tour of the jewelery repair department at his location -- pretty cool to see.

People on here talk about finding "mind clean" stones -- After today, I know I have mine.

I''m sending the stone to Leon Mege by the end of the week, I''m sure I''ll need some feedback as we develop the work order. Thanks again to everyone!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for your very kind words, Storm and I have been so glad to be of help! We would love to see some pics when the ring is complete!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results