shape
carat
color
clarity

Messed up once, help me not do it again.

devthinksnpink

Rough_Rock
Hello all!

A posted a couple of weeks ago about ([URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/help-me-with-this-cad-please.219871/#post-3997047#p3997047']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/help-me-with-this-cad-please.219871/#post-3997047#p3997047[/URL]) a custom setting for my ring. I worked with GOG and they were lovely-- don't get me wrong on that. I wouldn't hesitate working with them again. Honestly I just chose the wrong vendor for the wrong item. So hubs and I choose to cut our losses and move on.

I DO NOT want to mess up again. I had a couple of people recommend vendors to me in the past thread-- but I want to make sure I am reaching out to the correct vendor and asking for the correct thing.

Recap-

Budget- $5000 preferably, up to $6k if I need to go-- the lost deposit I had to eat.
-8 really pretty delicate claw prongs
-A mixture of white gold (or platinum?) and yellow gold
-A ring that looks good on a big finger (size 10.5)
-A RHR
-No split shank (my other rings are all split shank)
-A halo'ed ring
-I was originally extremely excited to show off my Christmas present ring at Easter-- but at this point I don't think that's gonna happen....but would be lovely lol.

The design idea I love are the 2 row pave emilya by VC and rings that are that style.-- I want it pave (or is it micro pave?) and super sparkly. Unfortnatly I can't work with VC with my center stone so that's not an option (insurance issues my husband is not willing to tackle)

The center stone is my own-- it is an fancy yellow (it has a light brown tint to it-- it shows champagne colored most of the time-- except in yellow gold where it brings out the yellow more-- hense why the yellow gold was a want) 10.6x8.29x5.17 is the dimention of the stone according to the GIA cert.

Gypsy- recommended Steven Kirsch as her number one choice. His items look lovely-- He is in NYC which is close to me and awesome for bringing the stone and delivery. I love how on his website the main page has a combo of gold colors-- not just a WG ring with a YG head stuck on. -- Does anyone else agree?

I think GOG- gave me to much freedom-- I have no idea what point size the diamonds should be--so I just went with the reccomendations of the sales people and that much un-educated design choice on my part is where I think things started going terribly down hill! Do I ask the designer to choose everything and then trust? Do I send pictures? Hand forged or Cast? When you do hand forged is there no CAD or drawing or anything?

Do I just pick a design I like the top view of? then one the basket? and then one the shank and they Frankenstein it together?

Can someone just do it for me and I will forward the email?! lol :shifty:

Sorry for my rambling. I am just so nervous to mess up again.

boxbits

Shiny_Rock
Hi Dev,

I think it would be a good idea to send photos to the designer and point out what things you like and do not like. I am not against printing photos, making circles and x's in red, rescanning and emailing the photos off. If the designer makes suggestions that you are unfamiliar with, maybe you can request a photo example? Also, if the designer makes a certain suggestion, you might want to ask why the designer is making that suggestion as opposed to other suggestions. Then you might get a sense of what other options are available to you so you can feel confident with what you ultimately choose.

Have you ever looked at rings by Marisa Perry? Her designs might be in line with what you want. I do not know if she takes outside stones or is within your price range, but perhaps the website will give you more ideas: http://www.marisaperry.com/engagement-rings/micro-pave

The Christine setting seems like a more fluid version of your prior CAD renderings: http://www.marisaperry.com/the-christine-setting

I know things like this can seem daunting, but think about how wonderful your new ring will look very soon!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just so I can understand, you can't work with Victor because he doesn't insure the diamond for damage during setting? Most ring makers do not, so you may have limited choices. I'd want to see that in writing if Steven does insure the stones for any kind of loss or damage while in his possession. When you go with Steven or Victor, all you have to do is show them a picture of the ring you want. They know the right size of melee stones to use. That is what is great about them...they do all the work!

Both of them do handforged, but I would verify that with Steven and be sure you have a work order that specifies what you are having made and how (handforged or cast and handfinished).

You do know that many people use platinum with a yellow stone in a bezel or cup, right? I would want the halo in platinum with white diamonds to contrast with the yellow center stone. Here's an example of what I mean as far as the setting colors. I realize this isn't the style you are after and the center stone is a different shape (ring made by CVB Inspired Design/Love Affair Diamonds).

_36632.jpg

_36633.jpg

devthinksnpink

Rough_Rock
Thank you diamondseeker... I like that use of yellow gold MUCH better!

So I spent a little time (ok... a couple hours) going through Steven website and YOUtUbe channel.

Any opinions on asking him to make the CARI ring.... but with the multirow halo from the Casablanca? Like smooshing them together?!?! I want to go in with a clear focus. I think that the CARI had the golden cup diamond seeker was talking about.

any opinions?~

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
devthinksnpink|1457575341|4002334 said:
Thank you diamondseeker... I like that use of yellow gold MUCH better!

So I spent a little time (ok... a couple hours) going through Steven website and YOUtUbe channel.

Any opinions on asking him to make the CARI ring.... but with the multirow halo from the Casablanca? Like smooshing them together?!?! I want to go in with a clear focus. I think that the CARI had the golden cup diamond seeker was talking about.

any opinions?~

Oh good! I am so glad you like the platinum ring with just the cup and bezel or prongs in yellow gold! I think that is a beautiful look and I would love to set a yellow diamond like that someday!

I found Casablanca: http://www.stevenkirsch.com/engagement/halo/r0103.html That one has pave on the side of the halo.

Cari: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMxu2Q9A53E

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'll tell, you, I strongly prefer the Cari like it is. I honestly think the pave on the side of the halo is a vulnerable place that would be easy to hit on things and crack stones. He makes the Cari halo slightly tilted so you are not seeing that metal on the sides in normal viewing. Your stone may not have to have the cup since it looks more yellow than the stone in the video but the gallery in yellow gold is really beautiful! I think the Cari is a great choice, and if you do prefer the pave on the sides, I am sure he could incorporate that.

The one thing I would ask him, if he does think it needs a cup, is whether there is an opening so the bottom of the stone can be cleaned (as in, with a small brush). That is essential as diamonds are dirt magnets and absolutely have to be cleaned with a brush all over.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results