shape
carat
color
clarity

Menu Tasting: What is appropriate?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

QueenG

Shiny_Rock
FI and I are going to have our tasting with our caterer this week. We are in our 30''s, most-likely paying for all of this ourselves (my parents offer to help, but they''ve paid for enough in my life and are off the hook in my book). The caterer has asked if anyone else is coming to the tasting. Is it appropriate to ask both sets of parents to come to the tasting, even if they aren''t necessarily paying for things? I definitely would like the families'' opinions, but what''s the right thing to do? (FYI, I doubt my father would come along since he''s not into this sort of thing, so I guess it would just be 3 parents).

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
I don''t see a problem with it! I''m trying to set up my menu tasting so that my MOH and one of the groomsmen can come. I don''t necessarily *need* them there, but MOH lives across the country and we really wanted to involve her in the wedding while she''s out for a visit. So I say bring whomever is important to you. I''m sure they''ll love to be included.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/16/2009 4:43:43 PM
Author: elrohwen
I don''t see a problem with it! I''m trying to set up my menu tasting so that my MOH and one of the groomsmen can come. I don''t necessarily *need* them there, but MOH lives across the country and we really wanted to involve her in the wedding while she''s out for a visit. So I say bring whomever is important to you. I''m sure they''ll love to be included.
I agree! Bring whomever you want. I went to a tasting last week and brought a friend because FI couldn''t go. It was great to get the opinion and help of someone who isn''t emotionally attached to the wedding.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
What will you do with opposing opinions? Personally I think the tasting is for the bride and groom to pick their menu, not an event to get opinions. But that''s just me. I think of it as a business thing and not social thing. If your caterer is okay with making enough samples for everyone then invite whom ever you want.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I sort of think it is inappropriate for your parents to be there if the tasting is free. If you''re paying for it, and paying by the number of people, then probably I think it is ok, since your caterer did ask.

mjso

Shiny_Rock
My venue allows 6 people per tasting. So I guess maybe they are thinking - Bride, Groom, MoB, FoB, MoG, FoG? I think it would be fine and completely appropriate for your parents to come. There were a few other tables of people at our tasting and not 1 table was just the bride and groom, they all had people with them.

Because we are getting married on the other side of the country from where we live our tasting was just me, my mom, my dad, my brother and my MOH. FI wasn't able to fly out for that trip. But he's easy to please with food anyway, so it wasn't a big deal.

ETA - Our tasting was free, but we had already booked the venue, so I guess at that point, even if they had fed 6 of us, if we canceled they got to keep our deposit which would offset the cost.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Another vote for appropriate. First of all, your caterer isn''t your financial planner (ie, he or she doesn''t know who is paying for what, etc) - so I don''t think it''s a big deal to invite parents, since that''s likely the norm for couples who are planning a reception.

DH and I knew nothing about the tasting - we actually met up and ate lunch with friends first, so we were really shocked when the tasting was FULL servings for each of us - and they brought out huge serving dishes, so I''m sure the rest of the food went to waste (or I hope to the kitchen staff!). What I''m saying is that my caterer was definitely prepared for a bunch of people - the full table was set up and then it was just the two of us. I''d just phone your caterer and ask what the norm is.

I will say that by inviting more than a few people, you''re also inviting more opinions - but if it''s something you''d like to share with your families, then why not?

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I do a lot of tastings as part of my job - normally 4 people is what would be expected as a maximum, I usually go with 2 other people. All the ones I have ever done they ask me to pick 3 starters, 3 mains and 3 puddings (I have occasionally wangled 4 puddings).

One plate of each is provided for sharing.

This is where it can get difficult with more people as one plate may not be enough for 6 people to taste properly.

However, the venue should be able to tell you what they normally expect.

QueenG

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for all of the advice, ladies. As Elmorton suggested, I went ahead and sent a message to the caterers about what is typically done. It sounds like the invitation is usually extended to the parents. I even went to a friend''s tasting since her family doesn''t live in our area (and she was allowed to invite guests). I just want to do the right thing.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
There was four at my tasting which seemed like a good number. Not TOO many opinions. We paid for the tasting so I didn''t feel bad.

lala2332

Brilliant_Rock
it might be nice to have you, MoB, MoG, and FI. I doubt either of the fathers care all taht much and their respective wives can represent their interest. THis way you keep the number to four and still get an opinion from each "family" and it might be a nice way for the moms to get to know each other better.
have fun at the tasting!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results