shape
carat
color
clarity

Mens engagement gift

JaymeC

Rough_Rock
Are any of you ladies planning on buying your SO a significant engagement gift? I am considering getting my Mr a high end timepiece (watch) and was wondering if anyone else had any ideas? How did you choose your price range? Would you present the gift after the proposal? Thanks Ladies!!!

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I wanted to, and always imagined I would, but I am not sure I will be able to afford it anymore. We're planning a move to NYC and the upfront costs for an apartment are astronomical. I feel bad because obviously he spent a great deal on my diamond. Maybe I will find something special that's more in my price range than an expensive watch.

CaprineSun

Brilliant_Rock
MissStepcut|1314493622|3002604 said:
I wanted to, and always imagined I would, but I am not sure I will be able to afford it anymore. We're planning a move to NYC and the upfront costs for an apartment are astronomical. I feel bad because obviously he spent a great deal on my diamond. Maybe I will find something special that's more in my price range than an expensive watch.

What about some nice cuff links? I've been thinking about that as well, since I accidentally broke my SO's nice pair a while back. Oops :saint:

jlp86

Shiny_Rock
I do not have any ideas right now but I had a question. Do men usually receive engagement gifts from their SO? I didn't even think about this! Is this something I should be thinking of?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I didn't buy my dh an engagement gift but we did exchange wedding gifts. I bought him a Tag watch.

CaprineSun

Brilliant_Rock
jlp86|1314493825|3002632 said:
I do not have any ideas right now but I had a question. Do men usually receive engagement gifts from their SO? I didn't even think about this! Is this something I should be thinking of?

Not usually. And most men don't expect it.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
I didn't get him one but for the people I know who have it's usuAlly cuff links or a watch.

jlp86

Shiny_Rock
I am glad to hear that, I really am not in the place to be buying a pricey gift!

JaymeC

Rough_Rock
I am hoping to get him a watch at approx $5000. I think that cufflinks won't be substantial enough. I think that this is a drop in the bucket because I am thinking my ring will be upwards of $15000. I have a good job and good income, almost as much as him, so why shouldn't I get him something. He knows that I am planning this, so I think I'll wait until he proposes as it could be a while yet, then get him his gift. I think that its strange that we expect this large of a gift from our SOs, but many don't get them anything. Especially since women are moe substantial income earners than in times past.

melave

Shiny_Rock
i bought him a lawnmower :)

CaprineSun

Brilliant_Rock
JaymeC|1314497135|3003069 said:
I am hoping to get him a watch at approx $5000. I think that cufflinks won't be substantial enough. I think that this is a drop in the bucket because I am thinking my ring will be upwards of $15000. I have a good job and good income, almost as much as him, so why shouldn't I get him something. He knows that I am planning this, so I think I'll wait until he proposes as it could be a while yet, then get him his gift. I think that its strange that we expect this large of a gift from our SOs, but many don't get them anything. Especially since women are moe substantial income earners than in times past.

I agree with you and want to buy him a gift as well. But to see it the other way is that although the man traditionally spends so much on the ring, the bride (& her family) traditionally spend just as much, if not more on the wedding, including dress.

Most people are fine sticking to tradition.

JaymeC

Rough_Rock
Reality for us is that we will be paying for the wedding. That having been said, I want to get him something, but I think the ring should be significantly more :Up_to_something:

CaprineSun

Brilliant_Rock
Have any ideas of watches you have your eye on?

JaymeC

Rough_Rock
My favourite so far is the Tag carrera, but I have just begun looking so I couldn't say that I am an expert.

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
At one time I would have agreed with this post whole-heartedly, but I see more nuance now. For one thing, this gift "for me" serves a purpose for him too: if I wanted a smaller diamond, he would be vehemently opposed because of how it reflects on him. For another, my income isn't really determinative of how I spend my money now, which will soon be our money: that is more of a budgeting question. Finally, the bride's family traditionally foots the bill for the wedding, which makes the tradition of groom paying for the ring equitable, or in many cases, puts a bigger financial burden on the bride. If you compare the median ring cost and median wedding cost, a groom would be getting the better end of the deal, assuming the bride or the bride and her family pay for the wedding.

JaymeC

Rough_Rock
MissStepcut|1314507751|3003274 said:
At one time I would have agreed with this post whole-heartedly, but I see more nuance now. For one thing, this gift "for me" serves a purpose for him too: if I wanted a smaller diamond, he would be vehemently opposed because of how it reflects on him. For another, my income isn't really determinative of how I spend my money now, which will soon be our money: that is more of a budgeting question. Finally, the bride's family traditionally foots the bill for the wedding, which makes the tradition of groom paying for the ring equitable, or in many cases, puts a bigger financial burden on the bride. If you compare the median ring cost and median wedding cost, a groom would be getting the better end of the deal, assuming the bride or the bride and her family pay for the wedding.

I agree with this too. My SO thinks that his choice of ring is a reflection of his success. He wouldn't be comfortable smaller than the median diamond size in our area. I am excited about getting him a gift actually. I think that it will be nice to have a fine timepiece to show off as his sign of our engagement. It brings a smile to my face thinking about it. I guess that must be similar to the feeling that men get when they think about the ring? I also know that he would likely not buy something like this for himself for a very long time, but would enjoy owning it. I am excited to do something for him as well. Particularly since we will be paying for the wedding ourselves.

UnluckyTwin

Shiny_Rock
My SO and I do not plan to ever legally marry, so there won't really be an engagement. When we are financially ready to pay for a commitment ceremony, we will include "wedding" rings in that cost. I'm looking to have the Michael B Lace ring, which will run about $6,000, whereas we will just get him probably a plain band since he doesn't plan to wear it anyway (but I still insist he have it at least for that day--I'm sentimental), which may cost $2 to $3 thousand. To make up for the price gap--and to give him a gift he will enjoy as much as I will enjoy my ring--I'm planning to surprise him with a king-size bed made of that new foam that's supposed to keep you cool. We currently have a double bed and we've both enjoyed sleeping in king-size hotel beds, and he likes that cooling foam stuff but wouldn't spring for it for himself.

ETA: My SO is not into watches or cuff links, so while I think that's a nice gift, he would enjoy the bed a ton and the watch/cuff links not at all, haha. I think the best strategy is always to keep the recipient's likes in mind.

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock
UnluckyTwin--my bf bought us a 'Sealy Embody' latex foam matress last summer and I absolutely looooove it!!! We don't have room for a king, unfortch, but it was still a major upgrade from our Ikea double ;-) It's so much cooler and you don't sink into it like memory foam. We are making the arduous journey back to LA from an exhausting weekend of partying in havasu, and I cannot even tell you how excited I am to get home and cuddle up and watch a movie in our delicious bed!!! Anyways, excellent gift--I'm sure you will both love it!!!

I like the idea of a "mangagement" gift. My guy is going to a lot of trouble and expense for my ring, and I think he deserves a nice gift too. We both make a nice living and I can afford to get him a watch. I would feel comfortable spending $2-3k, which is a fraction of what he is spending, but I think it's a nice gesture.

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock
And, I agree that you should keep in mind what your guy likes--be it a lawnmower, bed, bbq, flatscreen, dirtbike or whatever. My guy happens to really wants a piece of 'man jewelry'.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
I bought him a TAG watch as an engagement gift and we decided NOT to do wedding gifts considering the expense of the ring, watch, wedding and honeymoon.

RebeccaMUA

Shiny_Rock
My fiancee and I joked that I got him an engagement 3-D projector because it was for our anniversary, but he happened to propose to me on our anniversary so it seemed like I got him an engagement gift lol

SC86

Shiny_Rock
I'm told my bf that I wanted to get him an engagement gift that he could get excited about (since I got to pick out my ering). In our culture, we usually have a small engagement party with our family, so I figured it would be a good opportunity to give him something. He picked out a nice Tag watch that he likes, that I'm going to get him (I think it's in the $4-5K range). It's not something he expected but I thought it would be a nice piece he could have to remember our engagement.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results