shape
carat
color
clarity

Men''s diamond stud earring - typical size ranges?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

SportsFan

Rough_Rock
I''m a guy whose looking to get a single diamond stud for my left ear. My budget is fairly flexible (though certainly I''d prefer less expensive than more
1.gif
), but I''m not sure what size earrings men usually buy.

I''ve seen photos where small earrings on men look feminine to me, though I don''t know what "too small" would be in terms of actual measurements. Are there any common carat ranges for men?

Are there any buying guides or anything like that on men''s diamond earrings?

honey22

Ideal_Rock
Are you a friend of pmptrading by any chance?! This line of questioning seems familiar

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m afraid that this isn''t a typical question here so you may not get too many answers. There is a thread in Show Me The Ring that is several pages long of earrings talk. Most people have posted photos of their earrings in their ears for sizing purposes. I just searched and couldn''t find the thread but if you can find it it may be helpful. While everyone in that thread is female (currently) there''s no reason not to at least look at the size to see what look you like and then go from there.

bling addict

Brilliant_Rock
As Addy mentioned there is a show me your diamonds studs thread hereLink
You could look at that to get an idea of how different sizes look on different ears, but I would say there isn''t really a ''typical'' size for men or women, but rather people pick what size they think suits them best, taking into account factors such as when they might wear it and what with (eg. women may wear larger ones if they are dressing up,and smaller for casual/everyday wear; a man may consider whether they want something huge to look like a rapper, or smaller, which may appear more subtle), also of course budget can be a deciding factor in what size earrings people get. I would suggest trying on different sizes to see what you like. The size and shape of your ears will make a difference too, I have huge lobes, so I think most diamonds in the size I could afford would look tiny on my ears, but people with smaller ears, or earlobes, would be able to wear those sizes and they look great.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bling, thanks for finding that for me! I was searching diamond earrings, not diamond studs. I should just bookmark that thread.

ImpatientOne

Brilliant_Rock
My hubby was sporting a .5 ct before he lost it
emsad.gif
I guess size would depend on the man's stature. My dh is about 5'9 and medium frame and the .5 ct was perfect for him. I think anything larger on him would have looked tacky.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You really should go and try them on before you decide: male or female, a lot of it is going to come down to personal preference, lobe size, etc. I think .30 to .50 looks good for everyday wear on both genders, but you might feel otherwise. If your ear is already pierced, you might consider trying some less expensive stones out for "test drives" before you make your final decision. If your ears are still virgin, you''ll be wearing the training earring for 6 weeks anyway, so you might as well put that time to good use by checking out your options.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/14/2008 2:44:52 AM
Author:SportsFan
I'm a guy whose looking to get a single diamond stud for my left ear. My budget is fairly flexible (though certainly I'd prefer less expensive than more
1.gif
), but I'm not sure what size earrings men usually buy.

I've seen photos where small earrings on men look feminine to me, though I don't know what 'too small' would be in terms of actual measurements. Are there any common carat ranges for men?

Are there any buying guides or anything like that on men's diamond earrings?
Welcome to Pricescope.

A popular size seems to be around a third to half a carat, and up to 1 carat per ear ( 1 carat measures around 6.5mm to give you an idea) for the ladies, but it depends on your preferences really. Check out sizes in your local store perhaps to get a feel for how the carat weights translate into face up size, so you can see what you like best.

It is cut which makes a diamond beautiful, so concentrate on that mainly. Also if you search among AGS0 and GIA Excellent cut grade, this will make finding a good looking diamond easier. For clarity, perhaps an eyeclean SI1 or even SI2 can be eyeclean and a smart choice for an earring. Colour perhaps G to I range, again look at some in person if you can with the above cut grades, so you can see how your colour tolerances are.

Hope this helps!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/14/2008 4:14:40 AM
Author: honey22
Are you a friend of pmptrading by any chance?! This line of questioning seems familiar
Honey, or perhaps WhoTheyAre with his "large pro athlete jewellery"...? he he!
11.gif

Nah, I sorry I''m just being sarcastic now.

to the OP, I agree this may not be an easy thing to research but definately check out the links provided.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My husband is 6'2 and weighs 210 lbs, he wears my .18 round diamond from my original engagment ring and I think it looks perfect, I dont like large earrings on men, but that is my personal preference.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I say .50 carat is the most wearable yet easy to see size for men. Anything larger, I dunno. Kind of too much IMO.

DiamondExpert

Brilliant_Rock
...who could stop from smiling after seeing a guy with this!?

smiley_earring.jpg

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/14/2008 4:52:26 PM
Author: DiamondExpert
...who could stop from smiling after seeing a guy with this!?
Heehee!! LOVE it!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

DiamondExpert

Brilliant_Rock
...this is a CZ, but you could always replace it with a diamond...probably about 3-5ct.!!, and think of the $ you''d save if you went H/I, SI1/2 in an AGS0!

white_cubic_pierced_earring.jpg

poshpepper

Ideal_Rock
My FI wears studs in both ears, he is currently wearing .66 tcw (so .33 in each ear) and I think it looks perfect on him. He is not a small guy by any standards either
2.gif
He did wear a 1ctw pair for a while (till he lost one of the studs) and IMO the .66tcw suit him much better (not tacky and a perfect size to be believable) --- Its pretty funny how many people asked him if the 1ctw pair were real, but I don''t think anyone has asked about the current pair.

SportsFan

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the helpful responses
21.gif
So .5-1 carat seems to be the range to look into, which is good because it fits into my price range.
Date: 4/14/2008 4:14:40 AM
Author: honey22
I'm new to this forum, so I don't know what you're referencing.

Out of curiosity, what would people estimate this Dwyane Wade earring at? It's obviously huge and waaay out of my price range
3.gif
, but I was wondering if anyone had any guesstimates on the size.

image_24.jpg

DiamondExpert

Brilliant_Rock
SF - it''s impossible to tell from the pic, but sometimes these seemingly large stones are multipltes in invisible settings, so what you see could be 4, 9 or 16 smaller stones set to look like a single large one.

Frankly, I''d love to be able to examine all the earrings worn by these wealthy athletes and know just how much they paid, just to see the quality/value of the stones they wear...I have a feeling that in some cases they probably are not getting max. value for their bling $, but I don''t know for sure.

SportsFan

Rough_Rock
Yeah, these guys probably pay some big retail premiums, one wouldn''t expect them to shop around
1.gif

So does anyone have any guesses on the size of that, assuming it was one rock (or just total carat weight for multiple stones). I''d think it''s gotta be well above 5 carats, cause it looks to be at least half an inch across, and 5 carats is about 11mm; 1"~=25mm.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would guess that from the pic his earring is anywhere from 3-6 carats...hard to tell...but BIG!! You could get a similar appearance by buying a 1.5-2 carat stone and putting it in a bezel. Personally, I think his earring is a little big for my taste. I don''t really like teeny tiny earrings in guys either though, somewhere in the middle seems best for me for some reason. Get whatever you like the best though, that''s what counts!! You might want to consider going into a jewelry store and trying on different sizes to see what suits you best.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/14/2008 6:21:26 PM
Author: poshpepper
My FI wears studs in both ears, he is currently wearing .66 tcw (so .33 in each ear) and I think it looks perfect on him. He is not a small guy by any standards either
2.gif
He did wear a 1ctw pair for a while (till he lost one of the studs) and IMO the .66tcw suit him much better (not tacky and a perfect size to be believable) --- Its pretty funny how many people asked him if the 1ctw pair were real, but I don''t think anyone has asked about the current pair.

How common is it for men to wear TWO earrings? I don''t whether I like one earring for men, or two. I''d like to hear any thoughts you have on this!
37.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results