shape
carat
color
clarity

Men Wearing Earrings A Century Ago

begoso

Rough_Rock
My family is from Molfetta in Puglia, and I've often heard that my 2nd great-grandfather and other men of his generation often wore an earring. Does anyone know if this had specific cultural significance? Was it simply a fashion statement?

Thanks,

begoso

Rough_Rock
My family is from Molfetta in Puglia, and I've often heard that my 2nd great-grandfather and other men of his generation often wore an earring. Does anyone know if this had specific cultural significance? Was it simply a fashion statement?

Thanks,

looking for a quick response

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Definitely cultural in some form or fashion throughout history.

begoso

Rough_Rock
Definitely cultural in some form or fashion throughout history.

thank you for your suggestion

Zarya

Rough_Rock
Interesting. Do you know whether they wore a stud or a hoop? Much of Puglia is on the coast, so maybe they were sailors or fishermen or pirates. An article from LiveScience.com says,
those who fired the ships' cannons during close combat with the enemy, dangled wads of wax from their earrings to use as earplugs
You say your ancestors wore only "an earring." Could be they just wore one on the side closest to the cannon, so they could still hear other commands with the other ear?

You sound like a native speaker of English, so I don't know whether your family still speaks/reads Italian, but here's a whole article on Italian sailors and why they wore earrings:
Quando i marinai portavano gli orecchini: Si pensava anche che il buco all'orecchio potesse migliorare la vista [When sailors wore earrings: They thought having a hole in their ear could improve their eyesight]

begoso

Rough_Rock
Interesting. Do you know whether they wore a stud or a hoop? Much of Puglia is on the coast, so maybe they were sailors or fishermen or pirates. An article from LiveScience.com says,

You say your ancestors wore only "an earring." Could be they just wore one on the side closest to the cannon, so they could still hear other commands with the other ear?

You sound like a native speaker of English, so I don't know whether your family still speaks/reads Italian, but here's a whole article on Italian sailors and why they wore earrings:
Quando i marinai portavano gli orecchini: Si pensava anche che il buco all'orecchio potesse migliorare la vista [When sailors wore earrings: They thought having a hole in their ear could improve their eyesight] driveway coating removal

thank you so much for your suggestion

purplesilk

Ideal_Rock
Hi @begoso !
I'm from north Italy and I've been told that my great grandfather, like many men of his age (mid 1800), wore a thick yellow gold hoop earring on his everyday life : I've been told that it was considered very masculine...maybe because it was related to the legends of pirates or maybe because it was meant to show off wealth.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results