shape
carat
color
clarity

Men can shout, but women can't ... Clinton changing that

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
BBC points out how it is men complaining that Clinton's speech after yesterday's big win was full of shouting and (shame shame) anger!

How dare she! :angryfire:
That's not very lady-like! :angryfire:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-35820350

I love watching society improve as it drags itself out of the dark ages.

Sure, the men are kicking and screaming ... now.
But in time they'll get over not being the superior group.
Equality will win, eventually.

Other groups in our society are also kicking and screaming as they lose their special snowflake status.

:appl:

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Poor babies. It's really hard for some people to see a woman outside the context of being angry, might-spank-me Mommy. :rolleyes: :lol:

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I don't want to be yelled at by anyone, male or female, but to criticize her for shouting is just ridiculous. There are plenty of other things for which to criticize her. :D At least the media has generally stopped focusing on her outfits (as compared to 2008 coverage).

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
The criticism I heard was not that she was shouting, but that she was shrieking (like a witch) and after hearing her speech, I can understand why :lol:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
momhappy|1458150176|4006177 said:
The criticism I heard was not that she was shouting, but that she was shrieking (like a witch) and after hearing her speech, I can understand why :lol:

Ah yes ... that witch thing again ... yet more misogyny in our culture. :nono:

I haven't read anyone pointing out how Trump screeches like a warlock.
(Oh wait, only women screech.)
I mean, I haven't read anyone pointing out how Trump grunts like a warlock.

We have a long way to go.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Why do I get the feeling that you just don't like Secretary Clinton? ;))

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1458151958|4006192 said:

Seriously? Can we not use metaphors anymore without offending the pants off anyone, or is there pending legislation banning those now as well because they're "hate speech"? :rolleyes:

Hillary DOES sound like a witch ... and I also think Sarah Palin cackles like a goose as well as sounds quite 'yippy' like a chihuahua when she talks. :tongue:

And Donald Trump sounds like Bozo the Clown when he speaks ... and every time Obama hits the podium with his "let me be clear" schpeel, I hear "read my lips" in my head.

There, I'm an equal opportunity metaphor-maker! :wavey:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JoCoJenn|1458155591|4006230 said:

Seriously? Can we not use metaphors anymore without offending the pants off anyone, or is there pending legislation banning those now as well because they're "hate speech"? :rolleyes:

Huh?
My pants didn't get 'offended off'.
I didn't call anything 'hate speech". :roll:
So, keep your hair on.
(I learned that phrase from the British WW2 series, "Foyle's War, and have been dying to use it.) :lol:

I'm just pointing out misogyny in our culture and how it even slips into our language.

I'm delighted how Clinton running for a "man's job" is stimulating these conversations.
Exposing discrimination leads to ending it.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1458156515|4006240 said:
Huh?
So, keep your hair on.
(I learned that phrase from the British WW2 series, "Foyle's War, and have been dying to use it.) :lol:

I'm just pointing out misogyny in our culture and how it even slips into our language.

I'm delighted how Clinton running for a "man's job" is stimulating these conversations.

Kenny - not EVERYTHING is meant literally. I did not think your pants actually fell off. :rolleyes: That - too - was meant metaphorically. But this is part of what I see as a problem in society today. Everyone is soooo eager to find something to be offended about/by; a reason to label someone; a reason to create a problem where reasonable people comprehended a joke, a metaphor, for what it is, and don't run out to complain, protest, or hire Dewey, Cheatum & Howe for civil litigation for discrimination.

Hillary, Sarah, Chump ... they're all public figures, and with that comes the common understanding and acceptance that they WILL be the butt of jokes, metaphors, criticism, admiration, etc. It goes with the territory.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JoCoJenn|1458156966|4006244 said:
kenny|1458156515|4006240 said:
Huh?
So, keep your hair on.

Kenny - not EVERYTHING is meant literally. I did not think your pants actually fell off. :rolleyes: That - too - was meant metaphorically. But this is part of what I see as a problem in society today. Everyone is soooo eager to find something to be offended about/by; a reason to label someone; a reason to create a problem where reasonable people comprehended a joke, a metaphor, for what it is, and don't run out to complain, protest, or hire Dewey, Cheatum & Howe for civil litigation for discrimination.

Hillary, Sarah, Chump ... they're all public figures, and with that comes the common understanding and acceptance that they WILL be the butt of jokes, metaphors, criticism, admiration, etc. It goes with the territory.

Totally agree!

The point if this thread is misogyny.
Misogyny is real.
It's a problem.

Clinton running for this job results in reactions that stem from misogyny.
It gets reported.
People discuss.
Progress results. A good thing. :appl:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh and I didn't think you really thought my pants fell off.

BTW, did you manage to keep your hair on? :mrgreen:

momhappy

Ideal_Rock

I haven't read anyone pointing out how Trump screeches like a warlock.
(Oh wait, only women screech.)
I mean, I haven't read anyone pointing out how Trump grunts like a warlock.

We have a long way to go.

Call it what you want, but she sounds witchy, whiny, nasally, however you want to describe it.
And I've heard PLENTY of people pick apart every. single. thing. Trump says and how he says it. They mock his words, his voice, his demeanor.... There is no double standard there. As far as i'm concerned they've both earned it. She's earned her title as a shrieking shrew just like he's earned his as a racist, arrogant, pig.
This isn't about misogyny, it's about a joke of a presidential election and it's fueled by worthless candidates and our lovely media.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
AGBF|1458153603|4006210 said:

Why do I get the feeling that you just don't like Secretary Clinton? ;))

:lol: yes, but to be honest, I'm not a fan of any of the candidates.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hillary DOES sound like a witch ...

Time for a fact check, Jenn. You must produce an actual witch in the main square of Pricescope so that we can compare her "sound' to that of Hillary's voice. No more of this hyperbole. And another thing: I don't believe in witches.

Your friend,
Deb
:saint:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Calling women certain names like Bi**h or Witch or See You Next Tuesday etc are all a way of denigrating women and keeping them down and words do matter. One should think carefully about the words they choose because they can make a difference. Sometimes it is not just a matter of being too sensitive though I do see where when when someone says that (you are overreacting and being too sensitive feeling that way about certain words) it is just another way of trying to hold that person down by trying to make them seem overly sensitive and foolish. There are words that clearly show contempt for women and whether or not you feel that contempt when using those words is not the entire picture. Don't you want your daughters and sons to grow up in a world more respectful of women where they are viewed as equals vs how things were and still are in past and present generations?

Misogyny is a real problem and it makes me sad that some smart women just don't get that or refuse to see it.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1458217833|4006664 said:
Calling women certain names like Bi**h or Witch or See You Next Tuesday etc are all a way of denigrating women and keeping them down and words do matter.

...​

Misogyny is a real problem and it makes me sad that some smart women just don't get that or refuse to see it.

Uh oh. I am about to beat a dead horse. There should be some device that takes the reader directly back to any of the threads on Donald Trump from here because I am about to say (I mean shout):

YES!!!!! YOU ARE RIGHT.

missy, you hit the nail on the head. That is why Donald Trump gets away with rating women in the year 2016. That is why people are planning to elect a man president when he says Halle Berry is a perfect 10 only from her waist to her neck, above that she is just an 8. Because some smart women just don't get it or refuse to see it...and that makes the men happy as clams. They are back in the 1950's again.

AGBF
:read:

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF|1458165719|4006348 said:
Hillary DOES sound like a witch ...

Time for a fact check, Jenn. You must produce an actual witch in the main square of Pricescope so that we can compare her "sound' to that of Hillary's voice. No more of this hyperbole. And another thing: I don't believe in witches.

Your friend,
Deb
:saint:

Dear Deb, keeper of King Griffin and all that he may chew: I bring forth to you and allllll of those who gaze lovingly in admiration in the sparkle-filled halls in this fine land of Pricescope, this most reliable, reputable source of factual reporting for your viewing pleasure. :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_quZpOZTrPE

Your friend across the aisle,
Jennifer
:angel:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF|1458218558|4006672 said:
Calling women certain names like Bi**h or Witch or See You Next Tuesday etc are all a way of denigrating women and keeping them down and words do matter.

...​

Uh oh. I am about to beat a dead horse. There should be some device that takes the reader directly back to any of the threads on Donald Trump from here because I am about to say (I mean shout):

YES!!!!! YOU ARE RIGHT.

missy, you hit the nail on the head. That is why Donald Trump gets away with rating women in the year 2016. That is why people are planning to elect a man president when he says Halle Berry is a perfect 10 only from her waist to her neck, above that she is just an 8. Because some smart women just don't get it or refuse to see it...and that makes the men happy as clams. They are back in the 1950's again.

AGBF
:read:

Thanks Deb, in all honesty the only good thing about the 1950s were some of the movies from that decade and the fashion. And that's all folks. :wink2:

audrey_hepburn__1950s__42_.jpg

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Calling women certain names like Bi**h or Witch or See You Next Tuesday etc are all a way of denigrating women and keeping them down and words do matter. One should think carefully about the words they choose because they can make a difference. Sometimes it is not just a matter of being too sensitive though I do see where when when someone says that (you are overreacting and being too sensitive feeling that way about certain words) it is just another way of trying to hold that person down by trying to make them seem overly sensitive and foolish. There are words that clearly show contempt for women and whether or not you feel that contempt when using those words is not the entire picture. Don't you want your daughters and sons to grow up in a world more respectful of women where they are viewed as equals vs how things were and still are in past and present generations?

But no one here called her a witch. What we said was that she sounded like a witch. We used the term "witch" because she really, truly sounds like a witch and not because it was the most misogynistic word we could think of. Just because it's a critique of a woman, people scream misogyny. How about the fact that ALL of the presidential candidates are subject to public scrutiny and they will be criticized accordingly. It's not a refusal to see something if it's just not there in the first place.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK momhappy. You're right. Misogyny doesn't exist. We are imagining it. And saying she sounds like a witch is totally different than saying she is a witch. :roll:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JoCoJenn|1458220446|4006690 said:
Dear Deb, keeper of King Griffin and all that he may chew: I bring forth to you and allllll of those who gaze lovingly in admiration in the sparkle-filled halls in this fine land of Pricescope, this most reliable, reputable source of factual reporting for your viewing pleasure. :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_quZpOZTrPE

Your friend across the aisle,
Jennifer
:angel:

I have to admit that I enjoyed that, Jenn. ;)) Thanks for sharing.

Deb

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1458228482|4006746 said:
OK momhappy. You're right. Misogyny doesn't exist. We are imagining it. And saying she sounds like a witch is totally different than saying she is a witch. :roll:

You are keeping the faith, missy.

Appropriate Link...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IJ3sYVU72c

Deb
(((missy)))

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Women are only good for their vaginas and their looks. They are not allowed to yell, complain, or express anger lest they be labeled a "bitch." I thought this was common knowledge? ;-)

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Laila619|1458230348|4006768 said:
Women are only good for their vaginas and their looks. They are not allowed to yell, complain, or express anger lest they be labeled a "bitch." I thought this was common knowledge? ;-)

Boy are you stupid. They are really useful for doing the cooking.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock

Where did I say that misogyny doesn't exist :confused: It does exist, but I said that I didn't see it existing here, so please don't twist my words. We disagree and I don't have an issue with that.

Maybe the use of the term "witch" is what set people off? I don't know how else to describe how her voice sounds other than that of a sort of shrieking, cackling sound. If someone has another term for it or another description, I'm all ears. I don't understand why/how every other presidential candidate is picked on (I've seen pictures of Trump next to an Oompa Loompa, I've seen pictures of Cruz next to that character from The Munsters - just to name a few), but when it's Hillary it must automatically be because she's a woman?

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
AGBF|1458230501|4006770 said:
Laila619|1458230348|4006768 said:

Boy are you stupid. They are really useful for doing the cooking.

....don't forget cleaning.....

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF|1458230176|4006763 said:

You are keeping the faith, missy.

Appropriate Link...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IJ3sYVU72c

Deb
(((missy)))

Yes I am and (((HUGS))) to you Deb.

Laila619 said:

Exactly Laila. If some people had their way. :knockout:

Momhappy, IMO you proved my point. IDK so many women have a problem seeing what is right in front of them. Of course we can agree to disagree but I still find it sad because it does exist and yes in this situation it is alive and well and there is a distinct difference b/w the way men and women are treated in politics and so many other endeavors. And when other women think it is OK it undermines everyone fighting for equality. As I wrote before we are working towards a better future for our children both sons and daughters and it hurts both when women are denigrated constantly in the media, in politics and in every day conversation. Unwittingly or not.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
momhappy|1458231689|4006795 said:
I don't understand why/how every other presidential candidate is picked on (I've seen pictures of Trump next to an Oompa Loompa, I've seen pictures of Cruz next to that character from The Munsters - just to name a few), but when it's Hillary it must automatically be because she's a woman?

I definitely agree with this! :clap: :clap: There is SUCH a double standard that it's okay to drag the men through the mud and compare them to all kinds of things (that I personally find humorous ... because I HAVE a sense of humor) but we're supposed to treat Hillary with 'kid gloves' because .... she's a woman? :confused:

Since she's always talking about equality, I'd think equal treatment of the entire candidate pool (of which she is part of) is entirely fair. And I said it once before in another thread ... if you REALLY want equality, you have to take the good with the bad. So IMO she is fair game for the 'picking' along with the others; she shouldn't get special treatment and be excluded from the banter because she has 'girl parts'.

But that's the hypocrisy I frequently note my loathing of that exists when it comes to how one side behaves when things favor them vs. when it doesn't.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd like to know where all this care & concern about misogyny and treatment of women was when it was Sarah Palin & her daughter being drug through the mud.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results