shape
carat
color
clarity

Men’s platinum wedding band - VC? James Allen?

lizz1234

Rough_Rock
My E-ring is from VC and I love it. Thinking I will probably get my wedding band from VC as well and was planning on getting my husbands weddings band from VC but wondering if it is worth the extre money. He was a platinum 5mm comfort fit and the price difference between VC and James Allen is literally half the price. Any thoughts? Any other recs on where we should get his ring? Happy to spend the money with VC if I’m getting something better out of it but don’t want to just waste an extra $800 if the JA quality or someone’s else is just at good

Thanks in advance!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I got a small band from e-wedding bands. I know other PSers have too. Worth a look. Not sure how cost compares
with JA. I would stick to JA if cost are close.

I just looked at JA. Looks like they are doing a 25% off right now and the price is better (now would be a good time to buy !)

All VC rings would be cool but if he doesnt care then not sure if its worth it!

MsShnooks

Shiny_Rock
I got my platinum band from Blue Nile a few years ago. It looks really fresh still with no patina on it so I’d recommend BN.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I recommend checking out Raven's Refuge. He also hand forges his rings (a la VC), and there are videos of his process. For a simple band, I feel his work gives it something extra, something special. I also appreciate the thickness that he offers.

I ordered a platinum band from e-wedding bands recently - their high domed. It says 1.7mm thick and it was... I thought that was plenty thick to have a nice presence. It turned out that it was not as thick as my original plain platinum band and it just didn't feel as luxe. That said, their prices and customer service are stellar and their product is still very good (I have purchased and kept other bands from them). If you are willing to pay the extra though, and considering this will be his special piece, I'd go for the extra in this case and get one that is hand forged from RR or VC.

lizz1234

Rough_Rock
Thanks all! Happy to spend the money if the quality is better. Just wasn’t sure since he doesn’t want any pattern or design if it was worth paying extra for a hand forged ring. Thanks!

lizz1234

Rough_Rock
I recommend checking out Raven's Refuge. He also hand forges his rings (a la VC), and there are videos of his process. For a simple band, I feel his work gives it something extra, something special. I also appreciate the thickness that he offers.

I ordered a platinum band from e-wedding bands recently - their high domed. It says 1.7mm thick and it was... I thought that was plenty thick to have a nice presence. It turned out that it was not as thick as my original plain platinum band and it just didn't feel as luxe. That said, their prices and customer service are stellar and their product is still very good (I have purchased and kept other bands from them). If you are willing to pay the extra though, and considering this will be his special piece, I'd go for the extra in this case and get one that is hand forged from RR or VC.

Thank you! Does hand forged make a difference for a simple band with no design or patterns? Hand forged is what brought me to VC in the first place but just didn’t know if it made sense to have a simple band hand forged or if it is overkill?

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I personally think it is. I have not experienced a hand-forged band, but my ering setting is hand-forged. Compared to cast bands that had a lot more metal, it still felt heavier and sturdier. The 3mm x 1.7mm platinum band I tried out felt surprisingly lightweight and as such, I was not compelled to keep it. I plan to order one from RR.

(This is coming from someone who is very atuned to the feel of platinum vs. other metals. I have known settings were platinum in jewelry stores when SAs insisted they were gold and vice versa - each time later confirmed much to their suprise when they finally checked. Going from gold to platinum has a significant difference in feel, but even within all platinum, going from one method of manufacture to another has a difference in feel. For me, that feel is worth the extra money as it's something I can appreciate and enjoy.)

lizz1234

Rough_Rock
I personally think it is. I have not experienced a hand-forged band, but my ering setting is hand-forged. Compared to cast bands that had a lot more metal, it still felt heavier and sturdier. The 3mm x 1.7mm platinum band I tried out felt surprisingly lightweight and as such, I was not compelled to keep it. I plan to order one from RR.

(This is coming from someone who is very atuned to the feel of platinum vs. other metals. I have known settings were platinum in jewelry stores when SAs insisted they were gold and vice versa - each time later confirmed much to their suprise when they finally checked. Going from gold to platinum has a significant difference in feel, but even within all platinum, going from one method of manufacture to another has a difference in feel. For me, that feel is worth the extra money as it's something I can appreciate and enjoy.)

Thank you so much for all your insight! This is why I love this site so much. My fiancé is going to make a decision soon and I am going to pull the trigger on one of my wedding bands with VC later this week. (Due to covid and having to push back our wedding to 2022 we are going to elope this year and have the ceremony in 2022 which calls for two bands, a minor upside :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results