shape
carat
color
clarity

Men’s platinum 5mm band

johnjo56

Rough_Rock
Hi everybody, back in May 2021 you guys all helped me pick a beautiful engagement ring for my wife to be. Well in June 2024 we will be finally tying the knot (We are based in the UK).

It’s now wedding band time and I am looking at getting a platinum band, nothing too flash just a nice simple, modern and timeless looking band around 5mm width. Iv looked in the high street shops like beaverbrooks and Goldsmiths and most are quoting in excess of £1000.00 so will probably go online to save some money.

Is there different grades of platinum like there is with diamonds and gold or are they all generally the same quality as I have no idea what to look out for?!
…Also what is comfort fit?

Finally any links to good quality rings and shops would be much appreciated!! I don’t want to spend over £1000 it feels too excessive for a man’s plain band so up to about £850 max if it’s possible.

Ps. My partner will be looking for a wedding band herself to compliment her ring so when I can dig her engagement ring details out I will post them on here as well.

Thanks in advance!!

mayaINaU

Brilliant_Rock
Hi everybody, back in May 2021 you guys all helped me pick a beautiful engagement ring for my wife to be. Well in June 2024 we will be finally tying the knot (We are based in the UK).

It’s now wedding band time and I am looking at getting a platinum band, nothing too flash just a nice simple, modern and timeless looking band around 5mm width. Iv looked in the high street shops like beaverbrooks and Goldsmiths and most are quoting in excess of £1000.00 so will probably go online to save some money.

Is there different grades of platinum like there is with diamonds and gold or are they all generally the same quality as I have no idea what to look out for?!
…Also what is comfort fit?

Finally any links to good quality rings and shops would be much appreciated!! I don’t want to spend over £1000 it feels too excessive for a man’s plain band so up to about £850 max if it’s possible.

Ps. My partner will be looking for a wedding band herself to compliment her ring so when I can dig her engagement ring details out I will post them on here as well.

Thanks in advance!!

Hi, there aren’t really grades of platinum, but there are different compositions, like different alloys that are used. Some people have preferences for one versus the other. I personally don’t. For quality, I would look more at the weight of the band, like you could find two different 5 mm bands in your size and one would be heavier than the other. Heavier would generally be better quality. I don’t like to buy plain metal pieces if the gram weight is not listed. I’d also look at the finish—how smooth it is, if you have milgrain or other detailing, how finely it is done. A hand-forged ring would cost more than a cast string. I don’t think that matters so much with a plain band, but just something to consider about the fabrication. Comfort fit I really like because it is more smooth and less constricting on your finger. It’s rounded on the inside of the shank and slides over your knuckle smoothly. I find it’s also more comfortable and easier to get on and off when your finger swells in the summer.
Here’s an example of one at James Allen in your price range: it doesn’t give the gram weight but if you chat them, you could ask. https://www.jamesallen.com/wedding-...htly-domed-comfort-fit-wedding-ring-item-1372
Here is one from blue Nile, again they don’t give the gram weight:https://www.bluenile.com/wedding-ri...-fit-wedding-ring-in-platinum-5mm-item-194570
Mene does 24k (100%) platinum, which I think is cool. You would have to look into whether it’s better to have an alloy or pure platinum for a wedding band. They give the gram weight but not the millimeters!https://mene.com/bands/platinum/mene-class
Is this what you’re looking for, or are you looking for something more unique? I have had great experiences working with Sholdt: https://www.sholdtdesign.com/project_category/mens-wedding-bands/
Info on platinum alloys:
1705868891819.jpeg

johnjo56

Rough_Rock
Thanks for this reply mayaINaU that really helped.

The difference in price from the US based sites compared to buying from the high street here in the UK is around £100 (based on using Goldsmiths Jewellers) so I am edging towards paying the extra and getting it from the UK as its easier to return etc should I need too.

Does anybody know any good quality, competitively priced UK based online or shop based jewellers for a Platinum wedding band that are comparable with places like Blue Nile/James Allen etc?

...Or just any good places to shop for one!

mayaINaU

Brilliant_Rock

The difference in price from the US based sites compared to buying from the high street here in the UK is around £100 (based on using Goldsmiths Jewellers) so I am edging towards paying the extra and getting it from the UK as its easier to return etc should I need too.

Does anybody know any good quality, competitively priced UK based online or shop based jewellers for a Platinum wedding band that are comparable with places like Blue Nile/James Allen etc?

We have some members in the UK, and maybe they can help with shops! @Ally T, @Pomelo, @dk168?

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We have some members in the UK, and maybe they can help with shops! @Ally T, @Pomelo, @dk168?

Thanks for the tag.

When I got married in 1996, I went to Cooksongold based in Hatton Garden and bought the blank wedding rings in heavy gauge and in Platinum, had them polished and engraved by a local jeweller and saved us a fortune!

I suggest for a ring sizer to be purchased first to determine the ring sizes required and buy the blanks online.

A set of metal ring sizers to do not cost a lot of money. However, be careful about which ones to use - wider ring sizers for wider rings, and do not use a narrow ring sizer for wide wedding bands.

I found that out to my cost: had a wide ring made based on the ring size determined using a set of narrow ring sizers - the wider band required at least 1 if not 1.5 full size bigger than a narrow bad ring.

Please note that I did not pay much attention to the traditional superstitions relating to wedding rings - I bought the blankets on my own without my would-be husband with me etc...

And no, we divorced 7 years later due to growing apart.

Cooksongold's webpage for wedding ring blanks:

Cooksongold Wedding Band Blanks in Platinum

Good luck!

DK :))

Last edited:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is a pic of popular wedding band profiles:

1705943763099.png

A "comfort" band is one that has a curve on the inside as far as I am aware.

DK :))

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Full court is my favorite. Not common in the US, but such a comfortable ring to wear, and so organic looking and elegant. Also works well with a wide ring, which I would consider 5mm to be.

mayaINaU

Brilliant_Rock
Full court is my favorite. Not common in the US, but such a comfortable ring to wear, and so organic looking and elegant. Also works well with a wide ring, which I would consider 5mm to be.
Would you say it is comparable to a high-dome comfort fit?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Are you open to a vintage or antique band? If your ring size is fairly stabdard there are many on offer from Uk sellers on eBay and Etsy. I personally like the history of vintage jewelry and you might find something with a little added flair.

Pomelo

Brilliant_Rock
@johnjo56 I believe a lot of the Blue Nile inventory for the UK is held in Ireland / Northern Ireland and should offer returns too.

Otherwise, you can try a second hand pawnbrokers site like handt (H&T) - caveat that I haven’t bought from them before and you’ll need to get lucky with sizing but they list metal weights.

Have you tried on any platinum bands before? I ask because some people prefer heavier, chunky bands (they like the weight) but others prefer them lighter (easier to wear - my husband is in this second camp).

Thanks for the tag @mayaINaU

Pomelo

Brilliant_Rock
@johnjo56 I'm browsing the Bluenile website and it has a 5mm platinum wedding band on sale at £641 with free shipping. You'll have to contact customer service for returns as I can't easily find their non-US returns policy, as well as confirming whether you'll have to pay import tax on the item

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the tag @mayaINaU

@johnjo56 I second @dk168 ’s suggestion of getting to Hatton Garden or the Jewellery District on Birmingham to try on many bands, styles & weights. What you think you might want might actually not feel / look right when you get it on your finger.

We married in 2007 & I had my band custom made to match my heavy engagement ring (3mm fully comfort fit, size K1/2 & feels like silk) & my husband had his made at 5mm, size Q, comfort fit interior, flat top with 2 grooves etched around. We paid £820 for his band, mine was £450.

So to be quoted over £1k now would seem about right to me for the weight of the platinum, which has increased in price significantly. I do believe you will be able to save money by cutting out the high street overheads, but be prepared to do some trawling around. If you are at home to second hand, there are definitely some deals to be had on eBay or at pawn shops. You need to go get your finger measured & remember the wider the band, the tighter it will feel.

Good luck!

BoulderGal

Brilliant_Rock

I ordered a platinum band from Love Fine Diamonds on Etsy. They are based in the UK. I'm in the US, but they were very helpful, pricing was good, and shipping didn't take very long.

whiterabbit

Rough_Rock

Attachments

• 20221209_113811.jpg
    20221209_113811.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 7
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results