shape
carat
color
clarity

Memo to Lady Gaga (a mini-rant)

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Lady Gaga, you and your fans keep saying you're the new "Queen of Pop" and you assume you are taking this title as a kind of passing the torch from Madonna to you.

I must have missed the part where you have a filmography including Desperately Seeking Susan, A League of Their Own, Dick Tracy, and Evita.

I must have missed the part where you became an internationally successful model on the cover of magazines around the world, and photographed by the world's most famous photographers for 25 years.

I must have missed the part where your music videos were the best ever made by a female recording artist, and spanned the entire history of MTV.

I must have missed the part where you had first hand experience with Andy Warhol, Keith Harring, Jean-Michel Basquiat and the 70's New York art scene you say you admire.

But most of all, I missed the part where you became the highest selling female recording artist in the world, selling more records than any female artist in the US other than Barbra Streisand, and more records than any female recording artist worldwide, period.

How about this? You sell more records than Madonna, and then get back to us, ok?

Thanks. :saint:

iLander

Ideal_Rock
I think each generation needs to have their own version of Madonna.

But it was Madonna that created that need. No doubt.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
I'm showing my age. :bigsmile:

BTW, I fell off the wagon, iLander! Tomorrow I go to my doctor and hopefully I get a refill of one of my medications that I ran out of two weeks ago (so stupid). SO and I decided tomorrow would be the best day for me to quit again. How are you doing with that?

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
I agree with iLander...for me, it was Britney Spears. Lady Gaga is inspiring a whole generation of kids to love music, seek out their individualism and embrace it. I see nothing wrong with that.

Madonna was the first, the founding "mother" if you will. But she doesn't really "do music" anymore...that place needs to be filled and filled again.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Right now she's selling the movie she directed about Wallis and Edward- Nazis. :errrr:

What I've read is her movie makes Wallis more "human". I'm not sure I want a more human Wallis. :nono:

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Imdanny|1307970312|2944654 said:
Right now she's selling the movie she directed about Wallis and Edward- Nazis. :errrr:

What I've read is her movie makes Wallis more "human". I'm not sure I want a more human Wallis. :nono:

Well...she is into monsters.... :nono:

I didn't know that she made a "humanized" Nazi movie (as if there such a thing). Well, that changes things. It's entirely irresponsible and just plain stupid. She should stick to what she is -- a singer. She is so dumb.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Imdanny said:
I'm showing my age. :bigsmile:

BTW, I fell off the wagon, iLander! Tomorrow I go to my doctor and hopefully I get a refill of one of my medications that I ran out of two weeks ago (so stupid). SO and I decided tomorrow would be the best day for me to quit again. How are you doing with that?

Sorry to hear that you fell off the wagon, but I understand, I've done it a million times. Quitting is really difficult, you really have to want to A LOT, and then it still sucks. A lot. :|

I'm still hanging in there, I'm on week 6. It's still tooth and nail, though. My DH and I split one cigarette every few days, just to take the edge off and keep us from climbing into a bell tower. I have no idea how I'm going to get off the patches and lozenges (4mg extra minty- I recommend them highly) though. :rolleyes: I am down to 1/4 of a patch each day, I think it's a security blanket. Then I have about 4-5 lozenges a day. As far as I can tell, it's about 1/2 pack of low tar cigarettes (worth of nicotine). DH and I joke that it's a socially acceptable way to be addicted to nicotine. ;-)

The patches and stuff do make you not like smoking, though. I've noticed the smell bothers me now, and that all those times when I thought I wanted a cigarette, I really wanted something to eat or drink, or even something minty (I smoked menthols).

It's REALLY hard, no doubt. But I was getting winded and when I looked up emphysema it scared me. Did you know that even if you quit, emphysema does not repair itself? It takes years to develop, and then BOOM- it's full-blown, you wake up with it one day, out of the blue. I was feeling like I had it for a couple of months, and then when I looked it up, I was shocked. So, I quit. Whatever it was, is now gone, so it's not emphysema, but it was a warning.

If you do decide to quit, start a thread and I'll support you. :appl:

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
Kind of OT, but I've quit too. I quit a few years ago, cold turkey, and it was one of the toughest things I'd ever done, but so worth it! I will be a cheerleader for you both!! You guys can do it! :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe I need new glasses and a hearing aid, but I don't see or hear any talent coming from Gaga.
I suspect she's a displaced Kardashian.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
LOL!

Don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to take anything away from Lady Gaga, really. It's just that musicians have these titles. They may seem silly, but they don't get them for nothing. King of Pop, Queen of Soul, Queen of Folk Blues, Queen of Pop (Michael Jackson, Aretha Franklin, Odetta, Madonna, respectively), etc. The only thing I object to is Lady Gaga not respecting that. If she wants to be the Queen of Pop, she can sell more records than Madonna. At this point, she's not even close. Mariah Carey would be next on the list. And they're all still selling records, so let's see what happens.

Thank you, iLander and manderz! Nice to hear about your progress, iLander. I will start a new thread soon. My doctors appointment isn't for a couple hours so I'm not out of the woods yet. After I get through that, I'm hoping I can concentrate on quitting. More later! :))

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
I really don't see the big deal. NONE of the "titles" you listed are proper titles, they are nicknames developed over time by singers that sold a lot of records. (Note that I said records, NOT movies or the like.) You don't have to like the nicknames, because in the end they mean nothing. Record sales are what mean something, and Lady Gaga sells quite a bit. She's catchy, she's inspiring to kids by telling them to be themselves, and she's the new fad. A new fad will come alone in a few years and knock her off the pedestal. Will you dislike them, too?

It's also worth it to say I'm not taking offense or anything here, just pointing out that if you dislike an artist, then don't buy their records...being upset that she refers to herself as the Queen of Pop is a pretty silly thing to waste your energy on. How about the fact that she calls her fans Little Monsters?

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Italiahaircolor|1307971543|2944663 said:
Imdanny|1307970312|2944654 said:

Well...she is into monsters.... :nono:

I didn't know that she made a "humanized" Nazi movie (as if there such a thing). Well, that changes things. It's entirely irresponsible and just plain stupid. She should stick to what she is -- a singer. She is so dumb.

I think Madonna is the moviemaker in question. Between Evita and Mrs. Simpson, it seems she has an odd identification with the kinds of women who inspire love/hate relationships with the public.

Personally, I can't help but see these sorts of things as a combination of vanity project and hypocrisy - see the recent Coco Chanel movie for another example. You admire your style icon? AWESOME! But please, don't gloss over the less palatable parts of her personality. For an example of doing it right, see Salma Hayek's movie on Frida Kahlo ....

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Well, of course they're not proper titles. Believe me, if I want to learn about proper titles, I can go the royal jewels thread, as can anyone, and discuss them in all of their arcane intricacy.

What I'm talking about is the culture of musicians. This is part of their culture. This isn't something I've made up. And I think Lady Gaga or her fans calling her the Queen of Pop is absurd. I would find Lady Gaga maybe a little more endearing if she'd stop trying to rip off every aspect of Madonna's persona.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Well, I think on a lot of your points you're right, Danny. She does seem to just pull the same kind of outrageous sexualized antics that Madonna did. I find it interesting that male rock stars tend toward violence and anger, and female toward sex (yes, plenty of exceptions to that point, but you get my drift) in their videos and stage shows. From a sociological standpoint, I find that interesting. We don't see a lot of male singers running around in pointy, cone-shaped jock straps (yet) and we don't see a lot of female singers using sledgehammers on drums or bashing up guitars. I wonder why? But that's a different thread altogether.

But I do like that Lady Gaga at least professes to stand for something; she often tells the story of being rejected and in pain as a teen because of her personality, her dress and her mannerisms. I think this gives the unpopular kids someone that can relate to them. I also like her song "Born this Way" for asserting that being gay, or straight, or different, or Whatever is okay, because God made you that way. I find it interesting to use God to reject the prejudices that are put forth by many (unenlightened) religions. I think that's pretty encouraging, myself.

DON'T BE A DRAG, JUST BE A QUEEN
WHETHER YOU'RE BROKE OR EVERGREEN
YOU'RE BLACK, WHITE, BEIGE, CHOLA DESCENT
YOU'RE LEBANESE, YOU'RE ORIENT
WHETHER LIFE'S DISABILITIES
LEFT YOU OUTCAST, BULLIED, OR TEASED
REJOICE AND LOVE YOURSELF TODAY
'CAUSE BABY YOU WERE BORN THIS WAY

NO MATTER GAY, STRAIGHT, OR BI,
LESBIAN, TRANSGENDERED LIFE
I'M ON THE RIGHT TRACK BABY
I WAS BORN TO SURVIVE
NO MATTER BLACK, WHITE OR BEIGE
CHOLA OR ORIENT MADE
I'M ON THE RIGHT TRACK BABY
I WAS BORN TO BE BRAVE

Plus, it's easy for me to hum along with! :appl:

But I do see your point; for me Michael Jackson will always be the King of Pop, no one else will ever be that for me.

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
haha, so funny to read this topic now!
She has just flown into Australia for an 'invitation only' performance at Sydney's Town Hall (now renamed 'Monster Hall' in her/her fans' honour).
Last time she visited Aus, she stayed at a retreat pretty close to where I live, Maitraya Resort. http://www.maitraya.com
(booked the place out, there's only a few rooms)

I wonder what she's planning this time around?

Nomsdeplume

Brilliant_Rock
I see what you are saying. However, Lady Gaga is only 25 and she has already 5 Grammy awards, 12 nominations and two Guinness world records. At 25, Madonna had just released her first album.
Give Gaga time, and she just might get there.

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
uh-oh... remember how we are not supposed to post political threads??
This could get heated! (joking) :)

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Lara, you came back! How are you?!

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry, completely off-topic, HEY LaraOnline! It's so good to 'see' you! :wavey:
On topic - I kind of agree with the notion that she's 'it' until the next big thing comes along. May she enjoy her time in the spotlight!

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock
LaraOnline|1310279048|2965835 said:
haha, so funny to read this topic now!
She has just flown into Australia for an 'invitation only' performance at Sydney's Town Hall (now renamed 'Monster Hall' in her/her fans' honour).
Last time she visited Aus, she stayed at a retreat pretty close to where I live, Maitraya Resort. http://www.maitraya.com
(booked the place out, there's only a few rooms)

I wonder what she's planning this time around?

Wow! Lara, nice to see you again too! Hope you are well, your little baby is probably not so little any more!

My husband and I stumbled across the place that you linked last Xmas when we were holidaying down in Albany. We were swimming in this beautiful lagoon and found a staircase that had been cut out of the rock face going up the cliff. We decided to take a look and found the beautiful homestead high on the cliff with sweeping ocean views and it's own golf course. It was absolutely Incredible! I kind of got a shock when I opened the link and realized it was the same place. I can't believe Lady Gaga stayed there.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Hawaiianorangetree, do you live in Hawaii? I do and I keep meaning to ask you if that's what your name means. :))

Guilty Pleasure

Brilliant_Rock
I like the song, but it bugs me every time I hear the part "you're orient" because a person is not "orient"! It means "the east". Even if you are okay with calling an Asian person "oriental", which is not acceptable in America, but may be in other English speaking countries, it's "oriental" not "orient". I know it rhymes, but I would expect someone who claims to be a such a citizen of the world to know and use the appropriate terminology. I think she's a fake in that regard. I like her music, but I get the impression that she thinks she's more worldly than she really is.

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
I respect Gaga for being brave enough to bring her talent onstage. It isn't easy being an ugly entertainer. Giver her some slack. :tongue:

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock
Imdanny|1310312413|2965937 said:
Hawaiianorangetree, do you live in Hawaii? I do and I keep meaning to ask you if that's what your name means. :))

Oh how I wish danny! No... My first name is Hawaiian for orange tree. I grew up thinking that my mum had made my name up and had no meaning, so when I found out it was a 'real' name I was pretty happy! Now I just have to travel to Hawaii so I can get myself a coffee mug with my name on it :cheeky:

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
TristanC|1310375958|2966327 said:
I respect Gaga for being brave enough to bring her talent onstage. It isn't easy being an ugly entertainer. Giver her some slack. :tongue:

I do think Madonna uses her beauty in her art and that's something I appreciate and find endlessly fascinating but I'm not prepared to say that Gaga is ugly. I will say it must be a tough comparison to compare yourself to one of the iconic beauties of the last quarter of the 20th century and I don't see why she would want to do it but I'm not going to call her ugly. :saint:

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
hawaiianorangetree|1310388566|2966392 said:
Imdanny|1310312413|2965937 said:

Oh how I wish danny! No... My first name is Hawaiian for orange tree. I grew up thinking that my mum had made my name up and had no meaning, so when I found out it was a 'real' name I was pretty happy! Now I just have to travel to Hawaii so I can get myself a coffee mug with my name on it :cheeky:

It's a beautiful language! It's a beautiful place. I hope you can come visit one day! Please start a thread if you do decide to come and I'll share what I know with you. I've lived here almost 10 years to the day and I'm pretty familiar with the Big Island and Maui. :))

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Madam Bijoux|1307991862|2944888 said:
Maybe I need new glasses and a hearing aid, but I don't see or hear any talent coming from Gaga.

Hardly a displaced Kardashian. I suspect that if she were truly void of talent Elton John would not have lowered himself to sharing a stage with her to sing one of her songs. There is a lot more to Gaga than meets the eye (hard to believe since she puts so much out there). Go watch some of her YouTube videos from before she became mega-famous. I especially love the ones of her performing her songs on piano. Really shows her singing talent, vocal power, and ability to play a real instrument.

Gaga certainly isn't for everyone. I am from the Madonna generation, too, but I don't take any offense to a torch of sorts being passed.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Clairitek|1310402046|2966527 said:
Madam Bijoux|1307991862|2944888 said:

Hardly a displaced Kardashian. I suspect that if she were truly void of talent Elton John would not have lowered himself to sharing a stage with her to sing one of her songs. There is a lot more to Gaga than meets the eye (hard to believe since she puts so much out there). Go watch some of her YouTube videos from before she became mega-famous. I especially love the ones of her performing her songs on piano. Really shows her singing talent, vocal power, and ability to play a real instrument.

Gaga certainly isn't for everyone. I am from the Madonna generation, too, but I don't take any offense to a torch of sorts being passed.

It's not that I take offense to it, it's that I don't believe it. To me, all of these "pop princesses" are pretty much at the same level. Gaga might be arguably the most talented of them, and the most controversial (I mean that in a good way), but the new torch bearer, the new Queen of Pop, maybe when Gaga has achieved it. Madonna is the best selling female recording artist in the world, and in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, and still working. Gaga has never been as famous or as successful. I mean how many people have? How many single female recording artists? None. And the rest of Madonna's achievements I mentioned earlier. Also, to be honest, my taste in music is very eclectic. If I want singing talent, I'll listen to the soprano Emma Kirkby, or Fantasia, or the Mississippi Delta Blues, or a thousand other artists. That's not why I listen to pop stars, Madonna or Gaga, either one.

I think Gaga is interesting. Her work is interesting. I plan to pay more attention to Gaga and her work, but I could live without her fetish with paying homage to Madonna, to be polite about it.

I can't believe this thread has had almost 600 views. It was just a rant as I said in my title. Yes, I feel strongly about it, but it's just my personal opinion.

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m not a fan of Lady Gaga – maybe it’s over my head but I don’t get preaching about being *yourself* but then hiding behind a character. Aside from that, her music just doesn’t appeal to me but, generally speaking, I don’t like Pop music.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
My taste in music is eclectic but generally speaking I don't like pop music either.

Actually, I listen to mostly classical music (and other genres of "classical" music, up to but not including Romantic, with the exceptions of Tchaikovsky's violin and piano concertos) with a heavy concentration of Mozart performed on period instruments, and Mississippi Delta Blues, Blues from the 20's and 30's, Chicago Blues, spirituals, gospel, folk blues, female jazz vocalists, etc.

Sometimes a pop song will be something I like- I love Michael Jackson's "They Don't Care About Us" and love the video (why the anti-semitic reference got put in there, I don't know, but it's not at all consistent with the message of the song, I'm still trying to find out more about how that happened). I didn't like any Michael Jackson song until after his death and this is the only song of his I like.

Madonna is the only pop star that I like, but having said that, I'm not only into her music, but everything about her career and life. SO doesn't like her. He doesn't "get" her at all. I'm forever making him watch videos and look at pictures and blabbing on and on trying to get him to see what I see. He's got the patience of a saint. :lol:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results