shape
carat
color
clarity

Melting platinum

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

citygirl11

Rough_Rock
Hi there - I''m a newbie and need some help with my ring dilemma. Please excuse my ignorance if this is in the wrong spot.

I recently inherited my grandmother''s damamged platinum/diamond engagement ring. I have brought it to a local reputable jeweler who''s been wonderful and very helpful in finding a new setting.

Question is.....can I have the platinum melted down to include in the new ring? I have read that this is more hassle than it''s worth, but I''d really like to incorporate all of the elements from my grandma''s ring. Is this a pipedream?? Should I just pony up the money and get a new platnium ring? What about white gold?

Ideally, I''d like platinum because I forsee myself wearing the ring on a daily basis and it sounds like white gold requires a lot of upkeep. Thoughts?

I know I''m all over the place with this post, but all thoughts/expertise will be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks!!!!

lisaC

Brilliant_Rock
If you search "Regina''s ring" (mark morrell ring...) this explains why most jewelers would not want to melt and reuse a damaged setting.
15.gif

citygirl11

Rough_Rock
I guess I''m looking for someone who''s tried to melt down a previous ring to reuse in another platinum setting....anyone out there with info or experience?

Does your ring just get thrown into other platinum scraps? I know there seems to be a lot of hesitation on reusing this metal.....but I haven''t really heard why you can''t do it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated...thanks!

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you read the thread you were pointed too.

I have not read this thread, but I think the problems are to do with porosity as it is in gold also when the metal is melted down, also to do with contamination due to the alloys.

citygirl11

Rough_Rock
thanks for the help! looks like grandma''s platinum setting is going to stay in my jewelry box, but I can salvage her diamonds for the new setting - and I think I''m going to go the platinum route because I don''t want to take my chances and have to worry about upkeep with white gold.....rhodium plating and replating....

thanks eveyone for your input and helpful suggestions!!!!!! I greatly appreciate it!

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don''t know if this would be your style, and it would probably have to be before it would work, but you could have another stone put in the ring once the diamonds have been removed and have the ring set on a chain with a soldered jump ring holding it in place securely and wear the ring as a pendant, if you want to use the setting.

citygirl11

Rough_Rock
Oh, that''s a great idea, but unfortunately, her ring was really in rough shape (it looks like it might snap in two - she really wore the heck out of it) and I don''t think your suggestion would work....but, it''s definitely worth a mention to the jeweler. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results