shape
carat
color
clarity

melee vs(mm size) for custom setting

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mamchris

Rough_Rock
There is some confusion with my jeweler as to the size of the melee in my setting. I am having a custom halo mounting in plat. and the halo is to be bead set. I want 1.5mm stones to compliment my 2 ct cushion. Is this the same as 1.5 pointers? I think that 1.7 mm is a 2pointer, am I correct? Can you tell me the difference between a 3 pointer and a 5 pointer, ( i know it is 2 points,) but what is the mm size? By the way what is the mm size on a 1pt and a 1/2 pt?
Help is appreciated.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/10/2006 9:58:33 AM
Author:mamchris
There is some confusion with my jeweler as to the size of the melee in my setting. I am having a custom halo mounting in plat. and the halo is to be bead set. I want 1.5mm stones to compliment my 2 ct cushion. Is this the same as 1.5 pointers? I think that 1.7 mm is a 2pointer, am I correct? Can you tell me the difference between a 3 pointer and a 5 pointer, ( i know it is 2 points,) but what is the mm size? By the way what is the mm size on a 1pt and a 1/2 pt?
Help is appreciated.
1.0mm is .005ct
1.3mm is .01 ct (1pointer)
1.5mm is .015ct
1.7mm is .02 ct
2.0mm is .03 ct
2.4mm is .05 ct (5pointer)

princessv

Brilliant_Rock
Very cool belle!!
36.gif
36.gif
I kinda had to figure out the measurements for myself..I wish I had asked this before.

mamchris: I have 1.3mm on mine (my diamond is smaller than yours) but I''d venture to think that 1.5mm might be too overwhelming, that is unless you want a big halo. I know it sounds like it''s such a small difference in size but you really can see the difference with your own eyes. Anyway, it''s really all a matter of personal preference.
35.gif

mamchris

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much Belle. I greatly appreciate the help. Have you ever heard of 4 pointers? I am trying to get my ER band to be about 3.4-4mm I am going to have some small millgraining. I have a 2 carat cushion with a halo, and I don''t think I want to wear my wb on the same hand so I am looking for something that will look substantial. I think I am too old for the thin bands, after 17 years of marriage I want something big on my hand, but I don''t want it to overpower my nice stone.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
here''s a picture of lynn b''s 2.36 center stone. here e-ring band is 3 pointers and her wedding band is 5 pointers.

pairofrings1.jpg

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
mamchris, i also wanted to add than there have been a few pricescopers who don''t like how thin the bands are with 3 or 5 or even 10-15 pointers for stand alone rings. If you are planning on wearing your wedding band on your right hand you may want to go and try on some rings with largers widths. you might also consider a ring with 2 or 3 rows of pave so the style is similar to your e-ring..

35P13.jpg

or

33P13.jpg

mamchris

Rough_Rock
PrincessV-your ring is beautiful, just to give me some perspective how large is your center stone. My cushion dimensions without the halo is 8.7 x 7 mm. Are all your stones 1 pts?

MrsSalvo- thank you so much for the great hand shots. I think you helped steer me towards the 5pts. I am trying to attach the CAD and the drawing to give you all an idea of the mounting. It has been a very long time coming, and I am extremely picky .
I will try again to post the photos.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
mamchris, you have to make sure the files are small enough to attach and give your photo a unique name. if you still have trouble you can email your pics to the administators and they will post them for you
1.gif

mamchris

Rough_Rock
here is the CAD of the ring, I think I am going to use the halo, but I need to have them angle it more. there are 20 1.5 pts in the halo. I am trying to attach the other photo too.

wax2mam.jpg

mamchris

Rough_Rock
here''s the latest photo. I used paint to adjust the picture. I would like to use this picture, but with the bead set/fishtail halo from the cad drawing. I just couldn''t piece the 2 of them together. Does anyone have 1/2 pointers? I am not sure if I can use 1/2 pointers or if I will need 1pts. I am trying to keep the weight at about 1.33 carats in the setting.

MAM design.jpg

princessv

Brilliant_Rock
Hi mamchris! I''m glad you like my ring. My center stone measures 6.06 mm x 6.07 mm (I''m not sure if the report takes into account the cut corners but thats right off the GCAL report). The melee around my stone is 1.3mm and the surprise stones are 2 pointers.

Are you going for the wider halo like in the Legacy or a more delicate one?

mamchris

Rough_Rock
Princess V, you have me thinking now. Maybe my melee on the halo is going to be too large, maybe it should be 1 pts. rather than 1.5 pts. I don''t want it to over power my stone, I just ant it to look like one big stone, kind of an illusion. Thanks for telling me that your suprise stone is 2 pointers.
Has anyone ever heard of 4 pointers? are they common?

princessv

Brilliant_Rock
No problem mamchris! It''s a matter of personal preference really, but most of the halo rings seem to aim for a delicate halo. But then again, there are rings like the Legacy that have more substantial halos and are just as pretty, IMHO.

Sorry I can''t help with the 4 pointers!

slammie

Shiny_Rock
Hi Mamchris..your projects sounds gorgeous!! I would personally stick with the 1 pointers even with a larger stone..I prefer a thinner halo myself. However, since you are looking at putting bigger stones on the shank for a wider band, it might be better to use slightly bigger stones in the halo so you have nice flow from shank to halo. Just a thought but have you considered a split shank or using multiple rows of pave on the shank? JMHO but I think when you go to 4 or 5 pointers it starts to looks less pave..but maybe that just me. Also, I would prefer the stones used in the halo to be not too substantially different in size from the rest of the ring and going from 1 to 5 pointers seem like a big jump and it might make the ring look a bit busy... Just my 2 cents but hope I didn''t cause you more confusion!!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree, I would use the same size melee throught your ring except the suprise stones like pincessv did. I also prefer a thin halo myself.
2.gif

mamchris

Rough_Rock
hello Ladies,
Thanks for your input, I did think about a split shank, but it just wasn''t for me, I didn''t like to see my skin in between the ring if you know what I mean.
The look I am trying to achieve is a fine halo with substantial sparkle on the sides, I have a round stone now with bagettes on the side so I am used to having a little thicker side. I have seen some tacori pieces where the halo is smaller and the sides larger and I loved the feel and look. I keep bringing up my age, but after many years of marriage, this is an upgrade, I don''t want anything too cutesy. I want a heirloom feel, that will last me for a while. I would like to probably wear my WB on my right hand, or not wear one at all, and just get a right hand ring..down the line.

mamchris

Rough_Rock
This is the Ritani image, this is made for a 1 ct round, but you can see the difference in the shank, when you see the ring in person it looks like the side stones are just one big stone, I didn''t know until after I saw the Cad that the diamonds were a double row.

1r2122britani.JPG

singer

Brilliant_Rock
Mamchris,
I think 1.5 mm stones (1 1/2 pointers) would look great with a 2-carat stone. I have 1-point stones around my .90 carat round and sometimes wish they were just a wee bit bigger. Besides, I have compared loose 1, 1 1/2, and 2 point stones in a jewelry store before and I could barely tell the size difference between the 1 and 1 1/2 point stones...even the 1 and 2 point stones looked almost the same size when compared to one another. I would go with the 1 1/2 melee for a 2 carat, but that is just my personal opinion. Do whatever makes you happy! If you really like a delicate look, then stick with the 1-pointers. Listen to me ramble on and on.... Okay, I''ll shut up now! Good luck!
emotion-5.gif

mamchris

Rough_Rock
thanks Singer, how about a photo?

singer

Brilliant_Rock
Here are some pics of my ring. They are blurry because they were taken with my fiance''s cell phone. I really need to get a digital camera.
7.gif

ring3489834.jpg

singer

Brilliant_Rock
another...again, sorry they are so blurry. I will post good pics when I get a real camera (hopefully for V-day
31.gif
)

singer

Brilliant_Rock
Oops! Forgot the pic!
3.gif

ring348925.jpg

singer

Brilliant_Rock
last one...

ring7369352.jpg

mamchris

Rough_Rock
Singer,
I love your ring, I wish the pics were clearer though. Is your stone set up high in the setting? Are your side stones 1 pts too?

singer

Brilliant_Rock
Mamchris~

My diamond is prong-set just llike this picture (Appletini''s beautiful halo ring), although mine is set a little higher. I like it that way, because I can see more of my diamond.
1.gif
And yes, the side diamonds are also 1-pointers.

ring423423752.jpg

mamchris

Rough_Rock
Thanks Singer,
Beautiful photos. I was at the jeweler this morning and approved the wax. I took everyone''s input into consideration and I must say the designer agreed with you all. I have 1.5pt in the halo, which isn''t that much larger anyway than 1 pts. But I stayed with the 3 pointers to give the ring better flow. There is going to be about 1.45 carats of diamonds in the setting with my 2.01 ct cushion it should be really nice. The wax is going to be reshot because there was some breakage, the only thing I was worried about was the height now of the design. While I really liked high designs it seemed a little too high. The wax was in 2 pieces the halo and the band, (because it broke) so it was kinda hard to see. This whole custom process makes me extremely nervous.

singer

Brilliant_Rock
Where are you getting your ring custom-made, Mamchris? Most people on this site seem to have custom-made engagement rings, and they always turn out beautifully! Don''t worry, I''m sure it will turn out great! Good choice on the .015 stones for the halo!
emotion-5.gif
Congratulations, by the way!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/10/2006 5:59:25 PM
Author: mamchris
This is the Ritani image...
I don''t know what size are the little diamonds on this Ritani setting, but on the simple Halo bezels they are about half a point each.

mamchris

Rough_Rock
Hi Ana,
I think the diamonds on the halo in the ritani were less than 1 pointers, there was 60 pts of round diamonds and .17 pts of princess cut stones according to the ritani rep. But the stone was a .98ct round center. My stone is a 2.+ cushion , that is pretty spready. I think 8.7 x 7mm.- I don''t have the cert. right here. There isn''t too much difference between a 1pt and a 1.5 pt I think only .2 -.3 mm difference. But now you have me second guessing myself again. God I can''t stand this, I think next time no custom. I am driving myself and my hubby crazy.
The big think now is the overall height of the setting. Hopefully I won''t end up with a setting that stands off my finger like the eiffel tower.

mamchris

Rough_Rock
Oh yeh, I went with a fishtail type setting, to give the sides a more open look in the halo. There won''t be a ring of metal or any milgrain in the halo just on the shank.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results