shape
carat
color
clarity

Melee question... Visual difference between 3 pointers vs 5 pointers?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Well... you guys warned me it would happen... and it has! I want another diamond!!!
love.gif

Actually, how it started is this... we are taking a Thailand "adventure" vacation in November and it''s probably not prudent for me to wear my current ring.
8.gif
And now apparently I just can''t be without ANY diamonds!
2.gif
1.gif
9.gif
So I thought a small ring would be great for this vacation (and future vacations) as well as an "everyday" RHR at home.

Some of the darling rings on SMTR has gotten me thinking of a narrow band of small (shared prong) melees. I love the 2 pointers, but want a little larger than that... and the vendor I am currently working with has 3''s and 5''s (but no 4''s).

Soooo, does anyone have any photos or know of any way to help me compare the .03''s to the .05''s? I want small and delicate, basically just a "line of sparkle"... and am very tempted to use the 5''s... but I need some point of reference first.

Any assistance gratefully appreciated!
Many, many thanks!
1.gif

Lynn

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Congrats on your upcoming travels! How exciting!
1.gif

I think there is a visual difference between 3 & 5 pointers and personally, i would go with 5 pointers in a band but it really is about your preference...Can you go to a local store and try some on? No matter how much sage advice I get or great opinions I receive, I always find going to the jeweler's, trying stuff on and seeing it on my hand is the only surefire way I know for sure!
2.gif

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
How much bigger is a 3 or a 5 from a 2? I thought of a 3pt as at least 1 mm wide.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Jennifer, for your note.

I agree, looking at some in person is the best strategy... but in my small rural area, there's not much choice of that.
rolleyes.gif

What are the size of the melees in the band of your gorgeous ring? That would be a good point of reference!

Thanks!
Lynn

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 9/13/2004 3:39:31 PM ame wrote:

How much bigger is a 3 or a 5 from a 2? I thought of a 3pt as at least 1 mm wide. ----------------

Thanks, Ame. A 3 pointer is 1 mm wide? How wide would be 5 pointer be, do you know?

Thanks!
Lynn

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
read.gif
Shared prongs...

IMO, melee smaller than 10 points would work paved better - something like the wide Vatche bands. It is hard to see in those pics, but the Vatche rings have the stones (pave) set over a lattice - something that reduces the metal weight of the ring and allows the diamonds to sit closer one to nother.

I am not sure what weight are the little diamnds in Vatche's pave: most likely below 2 points though.

The big one to the right is made of small basket settings for each stone. It has diamonds between 8 and 12 points throughout. I can't remember where that pic comes from, but my jeweler makes them routinely and those are HUGE indeed (lots of hand cover between six and nine carats).

Which is the look you have in mind ?

CBS10V2.JPG

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lynn,
not really. I was trying stuff on and remember seeing one I tried on being aalmost as thick as my band now, 2mm. The other one was like 1ish mm and seemed really thin on, they told me those were 1.5 points ea.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would say there is some sensible difference between 2 and 5 points, especially when there are many making a "field".
4.gif

MeleeStdSize.JPG

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Id go with 2 or 3 pointers I think. Keep in mind the metal will usually add width. That's whats hindering me.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Ana,

THANK YOU for the very helpful chart! You're wonderful!
1.gif

BTW, I do like pave, thanks for the reminder. I think I have my heart set on the other, though.
2.gif
Some of those narrow shared prong diamond bands are (IMHO) simply exquisite!
love.gif
love.gif
love.gif

Lynn

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Ame,

I think we keep posting at the same time!
1.gif

I know what you mean... but in the style I'm thinking of, there really isn't any metal to add width... it's pretty much all diamonds! Mmmmmm, gorgeous!
love.gif

Lynn

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Sorry, Lynn...I forget I am spoiled and there a gazillion jewelry stores out here!
2.gif

My side stones on the new ring/set are 20 pointers....the smallest band I have is 10 pointers. This pic isn't the greatest shot for but maybe it'll help you. From the top down:

30 pointers
55-60 pointers
10 pointers
15 pointers
10 point princesses (invisibly set)
30 point princesses
15 pointers

1.gif

all7stackedpscope pic.jpg

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Jennifer,

Very helpful! Thank you!
Do you happen to have a photo of the 10 pointers on your finger?
1.gif
1.gif

1.gif

Lynn

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Hi, Lynn: I looked into this as well when having WF make my shared-prong 7-stone band.

The 3-pointers are about 2mm; the 5-pointers are about 2.5mm. I found the 3-pointers to be too small when wearing the band alone, so I opted for 5-pointers. Just enough sparkle, but understated and simple.

Here's a picture of my band alone...sorry it's a little close. You can get a better idea by going to the SMTR forum - find the "custom rings by whiteflash" thread of mine and you can see how delicate it is compared to my e-ring.

You asked about a picture of 10-pointers....there was one Jen posted here: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/need-advise-asap-eternity-band-question.11268/

For me, that look was just a bit too chunky on my hands.

7stone5ptband.jpg

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I thought you are looking for a shared prong with multiple rows of diamonds,

is it so?

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think as long as mine ends up no wider than 3mm Im ok with that. I don't want a lot of bulk.

I think aljdeweys ring is super pretty.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 9/13/2004 4:26:50 PM valeria101 wrote:

I thought you are looking for a shared prong with multiple rows of diamonds,

is it so?

----------------

No, Ana... I'm sorry if my post was unclear! I am looking for a single band, very much like aljdewey's!

Speaking of... Al, THANKS! xoxox! That's exactly the kind of info I'm looking for! I did do a search of the SMTR first, how did I miss that?!

BTW, what size is your ring? Thank you!

Lynn

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
OK... I've got Al's photo for the 5 pointers, and Just_looking (Justine)'s photo of the 2 pointers...
love.gif

Can anyone post or direct me to a photo (on the hand) of THREE POINTERS?!!!
2.gif
1.gif
9.gif
I did a search and couldn't find anything... but I know there have to be some somewhere!

THANK YOU!
Lynn

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
My engagement ring has 3 pointers and my wedding band has 2 pointers. Check out my rings in the SMTR forum and see how they compare when side by side visually.

Visually you WILL see a difference between 2 and 3 and 5. I see a difference between 2 and 3. When they are that tiny, even a point jump is a visual difference.

Keep in mind also the metal does add width.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Mara. I checked out your photos. I forgot that your engagement ring was 3 pointers!

Hmmm... do you happen to have any photos of your e-ring on backwards... so that I could see the look of the 3 pointer band? Your gorgeous center stone is taking the stage in all the photos!!!!
love.gif

Thanks again,
Lynn

P.S. Yes, you are right, the band does add some width -- I guess I was just thinking of the shared prong setting vs, say, a channel setting, which adds a fairly significant width.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well since it was confirmed that my cut doesn't come that small (*sob*) I guess I need the best possible cut available in a 3 pointer. heh.

I love Mara's rings. Exactly what I was talking about, 4 prong setting

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results