Thanks for the news and link, JG!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whoa!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh darn, I thought they found a million billion carats of vivid pink diamonds so I could finally own one!! I didn't realize it was only one stone, which will probably end up costing a million billion dollars! ;(

Thanks for the news though, even though I thought it would be better! :twisted: ;-)

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
TL|1329845226|3130880 said:
Oh darn, I thought they found a million billion carats of vivid pink diamonds so I could finally own one!! .......quote]

exactly my thought as well when i read the subject line....or perhaps hope?

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know I was thinking the same - and I too could have one of these lovelies...

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL|1329845226|3130880 said:
Oh darn, I thought they found a million billion carats of vivid pink diamonds so I could finally own one!! I didn't realize it was only one stone, which will probably end up costing a million billion dollars! ;(

Thanks for the news though, even though I thought it would be better! :twisted: ;-)

That's funny since I thought almost the same thing.
I thought they found a million billion carats of reds and pinks so now the ones I bought would crash in value. ;(

WHEW! :sun:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

pink.png

justginger

Ideal_Rock
Thinking about this overnight, I could do with some more information on its discovery. We've all heard that the quality at Argyle has diminished drastically, as has the average ct weight of individual mined pieces. So how does this figure in to that? Is it from a new area, or just a very far outlier in the norm?

I'm still keen to snafu an engraved Argyle before the mine goes kaput. My baby pink IS Argyle as per Leibish, based on color characteristics, but I still want that 'A' engraving! :tongue: And many apologies for extreme disappointment...and raw fear, on Kenny's part!

ZahraLeyla

Shiny_Rock
There was a quite detailed report on the news about this last night (I live in Western Australia). The Argyle spokeswoman said that she didn't expect another find like this, ever, from the mines. It was also reported that the stone would go for a million dollars per carat, but I don't know how realistic that is. The Argyle spokeswoman noted that the stone was very clean.

Now, I know next to nothing about FCDs, but on screen, the rough looked very washed out. Could just be my dodgy TV, though.

justginger

Ideal_Rock
Yes, I'm in Perth as well, Zahra. I was on 10 and their story was nothing more than some glamour video of the stone and boggling estimates of what it'll fetch at tender. :rolleyes: I want the facts, people!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think Perth is where Argyle's Pinks are cut and polished.

If you live there you should get a free one.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Looks like a glowy padparadcha diamond. Nice orangy pink color. I saw a huge one that color in person at a museum, and it literally glowed. It took my breath away. I think it was like 20 carats though, and already cut.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm really curious to see what shape they decide on and what the final weight and specs will be.
I vote Octavia. :love: :cheeky: :love:

I found a couple more pics.

qqqqqqq.jpeg

qqqqqqqwwwwwww.jpeg

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Speculations from a GG . . .
http://gemandjewelrydoctor.com/2012/02/21/12-76-ct-argyle-pink-jubilee-diamond-being-cut-and-polished/

SNIP
Pink diamonds are extremely rare and expensive.
The best source of natural pink diamonds is The Argyle Mine in Western, Australia.

This rare gem currently weighs 12.76 carat before cutting and polishing.
My experience as a gemologist tells me that this stone will weigh anywhere from 40% – 60% of its rough weight when cut and polished.
This stone will be cut for maximum beauty, clarity and colour.
Size will be an important factor when cutting and polishing but it will not be the most important factor.

Taking that into consideration, I believe you will have an absolutely stunning pink diamond weighing between 5.10 carats – 7.65 carats when finished.

I have not seen this stone personally.
I have seen a few natural pinks from The Argyle Mine in Australia and they were all of very high clarity Vs1- VVS1, well polished, excellent cut with vivid color.

I am guessing, a 5.10 carat – 7.65 carat pink diamond will command $500,000 – $1,000,000 per carat.
This stone will probably sell for upwards of $3,000,000+ and if it cuts over 7.00+ carat, $6,000,000+.
Again, this is speculation on my part.

I will be following this stone closely to see what the outcome will be.

John Rosen GG, GJ

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The pic looks Purplish Pink.
Goodness knows what the real color is.

3333322223332.png

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

In a word: Beyonce.

(pre push present #2: hey, she aready has blu/blue....)

cheers--Sharon

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Rio Tinto: figures. like they don't have enough $.

note too in the original link that it will be marketed to "royalty and celebrities" which translated means "don't call us, we'll call you". i bet there is a waiting list for it already!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
movie zombie|1329879695|3131388 said:
Rio Tinto: figures. like they don't have enough $.

note too in the original link that it will be marketed to "royalty and celebrities" which translated means "don't call us, we'll call you". i bet there is a waiting list for it already!

I would imagine it would be auctioned to the highest bidder.

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
I'm guessing it would fetch at least 8 million for the cut stone to the final customer, if it winds up 6cts or more... In the realms of stupid money, it is just 6, 7, 8...

I held my breath when I read that headline... but it was so small!! I was hoping for some 30ct vivid pink rough! ;(

Haha. Ok, back to reality.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh, yes, i'm sure. but do you think it will show up at a "live" auction or be a telephone call?
i bet the line has already formed to participate in that auction.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
movie zombie|1329881628|3131415 said:
oh, yes, i'm sure. but do you think it will show up at a "live" auction or be a telephone call?
i bet the line has already formed to participate in that auction.

I read it will be included in this year's auction of the the mine's best 50 or so stones for the year.

The annual Argyle Tender Auction is held in a few secret locations worldwide.
Big shots lucky enough to be invited may submit sealed bids.
Each bidder has no idea what anyone else has or will bid.
Highest bidder wins.

I'm really curious about a stone like this though.
I'd guess the frenzy of a live Christie's auction with telephone bids would yield a higher price.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
I expect it to be stolen and renamed the Pink Panther. Then it will be "found" and create an even bigger flurry of interest and hype. Im thinking nicole kidman or that wolverine dude (sorry i cant remember his name) or some other absurdly wealthy aussie celeb should get it.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
kenny|1329877263|3131359 said:
Here's a video of it.

I assume they are polishing a window on the rough to study and plan the polishing.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xowyfg_huge-pink-diamond-unearthed-in-wa_news

showed hubby this link and he snickered re "A massive 12.76 carat pink diamond estimated to be worth around $12 million has been found in the Kimberley region south of Perth, Australia."

it appears that some australians don't know their own geography and that the Kimberley region is NOT south of perth....rather it is to the far north of the state.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results