shape
carat
color
clarity

meeting with DJ... OMG!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Went home for the weekend and had planned to meet with one DJ... after the planned one on Saturday we had to rush to set up more appts for Sunday.

Anyway, he was recommended by my photog, which should have been the first sign. (My photog was over our "budget", but we were ok with splurging on pictures) We had to meet with him in person beacuse we couldn't find any pricing info online for this DJ anywhere, and I am a self proclaimed google freak. If it was out there, I would have found it. So after hearing his schpeal (sp??) for over an hour, he handed us his rate sheet:

He started at $2900 for, as he put it, "the whole night"!!
23.gif
Which wouldn't be more than 4 hours considering that was how long we have the venue. Is this crazy to anyone else, or is this just the high end?? Another girl I know is using a different DJ that was recommended by our photog and she told me that her planner said her's was around $4000!!! For a DJ/MC?!?!?

He would have done absolutely everything... but to me it just isn't worth it. We found another guy for $850 that is offering everything we want, and is highly recommended by our venue. It will be a bit of work on our part to set up the schedule, but we'll get out of it, what we put in. I like that there aren't going to be some real huge expectations because of a pricetag.

Hope everyone had a wonderful weekend!!

honey22

Ideal_Rock
Thud! That was me falling off my chair!

That''s insane! I can''t believe people would pay that much for a DJ? It''s not even like a band or something where they have to be talented/a musician with years of training, they just have to be able to deal with crowds and line up a songlist. Sheesh.

Good news on finding someone else though!

Blair138

Brilliant_Rock
WOW! That price is quite high. Especially just "starting at".

My DJ is $2000 for THE BEST package that the company offers, lights, fog, all that fun stuff. That is also for 6 hours of music.

When you say that your DJ does ''everything'' what do you mean? I would definitely say to look around. That sounds very high to me and not really worth it IMO.

blondebunny

Brilliant_Rock
hOLY COW!!! THAT IS CRAZY!! This girl in one of my classes was telling me her photog,dj, and video person as $2600 all together!! I cant imagine $2900 for just FOUR hours!! that is absurd! geeez!

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Honey: We were so glad that we were able to find someone else we liked while I was in town! Thanks.

Blair: $2000 for all of that, I think is a good deal. When I say everything, I kind of meant it jokingly becuase he kept pushing "all" these things that he would do. Like taking our song requests prior to the date and creating a personalized schedule
20.gif
, he would meet with us as many times as we needed to go over things
20.gif
, he would coordinate with all other vendors in order to make sure things run smoothly
20.gif
, and would announce specialized intros for each of our wedding party when they are intorduced, after we wrote a short paragraph and he could pick out what he wanted to say
20.gif
. First of all , these are normal things that every DJ/MC should do, if requested (IMO)... and secondly we don't want all 18 of our wedding party announced. Also, his lights were another $500 on top of that, and I think it was another $250 for a monogram on the floor or wall. Please...

He thought of himself very highly. My mom and I were assuming that after all the talking he would say $2000, and we would haev to decide if he was worth it, but when he told us $2900 it was a very easy decision. LOL!

MissDimity

Shiny_Rock
That sounds far too much. Our DJ package is $590 + GST and includes the following:-
(note I''m Aussie so in US currency the equivalent should be $390)

ELITE WEDDING PACKAGE:
LIGHTING:
• LED Photon Effect Lights and an Aqua Mood Light.
• All lights are mounted on Stands.
SOUND:
• 2 Premium 400 Watt RCF Speaker Cabinets
• Professional Mixer and Dual CD Players
• Cordless Microphone
• Speaker and lighting stands
PRICE: $590.00 + 10% GST – includes up to 5 hours of play time.
• Overtime is charged at $130.00 per hour + 10% GST.
• If paid car parking is required for the DJ’s car, this will be an additional cost.
• We request your DJ be offered a staff/crew meal.
OTHER SERVICES:
• Your DJ can provide professional MC services at an additional cost of $200.00 + GST.

galvana

Brilliant_Rock
OMG Meresal! That is crazy! Anything over $1000 is just not worth it I dont think, unless of course its your favorite live band or something.
Our DJ comes with our per plate price, but I think if you book the company on your own its about $850-900.
Geez, you must have died when he started at $2900 PAH!

galvana

Brilliant_Rock
Also to note: our DJ is from 5pm to 11pm. so 6 hrs.
HE also comes with all the bells and whistles.
Various Light Show capabilities -
Bubble Machine
Fog Machine
and all types of props, hats, necklaces, glow in the dark stuff, guitars, etc etc
and they play games with the audience.
to get the crowd really growing.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
$2900???? $4000??? That is CRAZY talk.
32.gif

I''m stunned.

So glad you could find someone else on your trip home.

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/25/2009 11:05:09 PM
Author: honey22
Thud! That was me falling off my chair!

That''s insane! I can''t believe people would pay that much for a DJ? It''s not even like a band or something where they have to be talented/a musician with years of training, they just have to be able to deal with crowds and line up a songlist. Sheesh.

Good news on finding someone else though!

What she said, that boy has been smoking something strange.

Man I think I found my new career path
9.gif

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
That is outrageous! (to me anyhow)
The dj we''re looking at is 600 dollars

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/26/2009 8:19:28 AM
Author: Deelight
What she said, that boy has been smoking something strange.

Man I think I found my new career path
9.gif
What's funny, is at the end of the meeting we were in a rush and very late to meet with the cake place, so literally 5 minutes after he told us the price, we realized we needed to leave immediately. Haha. He told me that he had 6 more appointments that day (which I'm guessing at least 3 of those are becuase he doesn't have his pricing info anywhere), and I politely asked if he would call to tell me if he gets an offer for our date... He kind of laughed and shook his head no. My mom and I thought he was joking, until he said, "I don't have time to call everyone I meet with."
20.gif

Deelight: We met with the coordinator at our venue later that afternoon, and were sharing the story, and she said that she talked with a DJ like this before and he told her that he was just chanrging his "potential".
Her response was, "If I thought that was a DJ's potential, I would be a DJ".

I just did the math: If he had a booking every weekend, which I know he doesn't, but I'm sure most of his clientel do the full package, which would probably average $3500-4000. (I mean if you're spending $2900, you mine as well get everything right?) He would make $150K/year and some change!!!

ETA: My dad used to tell me, "Mere, it doesn't matter if you're a lawyer or a doctor, if you're the best in your field, you're going to make alot of money." This couldn't be better proof. I have no doubt he is one of the best out there, but to me and our budget, it just isn't worth it.

MsSassy

Rough_Rock
geez...our DJ is costing 900 (i negotiated down from 1300). and he''s setting up at the reception and ceremoney site! and i live in the bay area where its already expensive...2900 is ridiculous...they''re playing music. i''d rather bring my ipod and connect it to some speakers than to pay almost 3k for a dj.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
He must be offering the absolute WORKS.

Our DJ was $600 for 4 hours and basic music/emceeing. That''s all we needed/wanted out of him. Sure we could have had a better one that really kept the dance floor packed (would''ve been a task with 60 guests
3.gif
), but it wasn''t a priority for us.

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Good LORD!!!!!!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAK!!!!
32.gif
32.gif
32.gif
That is crazy expensive.

I'm glad on reading other brides' costs. That put me at ease..
5.gif

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Was he joking? That''s high! How much are people spending on a wedding that they are spending $2,900 plus on a DJ? The average wedding budget can''t be enough for a DJ who charges that.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
That''s so crazy! Our DJ is only costing us €200! I''d go with the cheaper one.

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
I wonder how you can really even tell a good DJ from a bad one. Because I was at a wedding in '07 and the DJ was HORRIBLE!!!! I mean, he stood there like Dick Cheney (on any given day) while nobody danced. He didn't say anything, he didn't do anything...and he would just change from one horrible 70's song to the next (granted, I'm sure the bride and groom wanted that God awful music) but still, he didn't get the crowd going. I wouldn't have paid him even $.50........lol

I just had to get that rant out. Because he bugged me....

ETA* I totally forgot to mention that he played the music SO FREAKING loud. Loud enough to wake the dead....
29.gif
It was awful..

katamari

Ideal_Rock
OMG, indeed!
32.gif
6.gif
You could buy an entire sound system for this price and start your own DJing company.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results