shape
carat
color
clarity

Medium green fluorescence in round diamond. Good or bad?

ghostm42

Rough_Rock
I apologize for starting another thread. I had a thread asking about the quality of a round diamond, but noticed it had medium green fluorescence later on. The thread seemed to have died without anyone taking notice of the green. Is medium green fluorescence a good or bad thing?

Here are the other specs:

Round
1.64ct
Cut: Ex
Clarity: IF
Color: G
Fluor: Med
Depth: 62.3
Table: 55
C-Angle: 35
P-Angle: 40.8

gianum.jpg

EDIT: I think I just shot myself in the foot. The shop that posted it pulled it off the inventory after I asked about it. The seller claims it is inferior and pulled it from the inventory ASAP, even after I said I might still be interested. Could it be that it's good and they didn't want to sell it? Or is it true that it is inferior and it was pulled?

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
To the initial question: Likely the FL would not have been an issue= but it's the type of characteristic that could be a problem.
The good thing is, if it was a problem you'd be able to see it yourself easily

Second point- remember that many ( almost all) diamonds listed online are not owned by the seller- they pull them off lists.
So if a consumer asks for a diamond which has been removed from the list ( there can be various reasons why) you get the sort of thing you describe.

ghostm42

Rough_Rock
Rockdiamond|1458589268|4009041 said:
To the initial question: Likely the FL would not have been an issue= but it's the type of characteristic that could be a problem.
The good thing is, if it was a problem you'd be able to see it yourself easily

Second point- remember that many ( almost all) diamonds listed online are not owned by the seller- they pull them off lists.
So if a consumer asks for a diamond which has been removed from the list ( there can be various reasons why) you get the sort of thing you describe.

Thanks for the response. I thought it was rather odd, partially because I indicated I was still interested in it. But the online rep insisted on removing it from the website. It is now marked as "Reserved" on the website literally as I was still speaking with her. It just seemed like she was very aggressive in making sure it was not available anymore.

Can anyone elaborate on how green fluorescence would effect a diamond? I never came across it in my year of searching for an engagement ring. I know about blue. Based on the photos I posted, it looked decent enough. And I liked the idea of green fluorescence.

I had spent the last few days trying to get as much info on that diamond as possible (ASET, IdealScope), so I'm actually rather disappointed. Do you think other resellers can get it? Or is the green too risky to buy without seeing in person?

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Can anyone elaborate on how green fluorescence would effect a diamond? I never came across it in my year of searching for an engagement ring. I know about blue. Based on the photos I posted, it looked decent enough. And I liked the idea of green fluorescence.
Yes, but whatever they elaborate, it can only refer to that particular diamond, as opposed to a general statement that applies to yours- and the same goes for blue.
There are times when the fluoro is all but invisible in normal lighting and other times easily visible- and both stones might get the same FL grade from GIA- so not all MB/SB look alike the next. I'd also love the see the Green fl stone- but until I did, anything I might say about it would be a guess.

About it being available elsewhere- in general, stones that are on the list are available to a variety of sellers- but if it's already off the list, it can't be found ( that's the case, I checked)

RockBrat

Shiny_Rock
So is the diamond no longer even available then? Did she put it on reserve for you or maybe she had another client asking for one so she pulled it for them? Seems bizarre. Do you know which lab graded it? There can be concern that diamonds that flouresce green could be HPHT treated which is not desireable. So maybe they were worried about that. Just seems weird to me.

ghostm42

Rough_Rock
RockBrat|1458591001|4009062 said:
So is the diamond no longer even available then? Did she put it on reserve for you or maybe she had another client asking for one so she pulled it for them? Seems bizarre. Do you know which lab graded it? There can be concern that diamonds that flouresce green could be HPHT treated which is not desireable. So maybe they were worried about that. Just seems weird to me.

It was definitely weird. And I feel like kicking myself now.

The diamond is no longer available on their website (it's one of the PriceScope search database sites). It just says "This item has been reserved" or something to that effect. She definitely didn't reserve it for me, because she won't sell it to me. I literally noticed it was no longer available WHILE I was still talking to her online and told her I might still be interested. She just said it's no longer listed on her site, so it cannot be purchased. I doubt it was another customer. This all happened in literally in a 1 minute time span. It was graded by GIA.

My heart dropped when she got rid of the listing. I felt I should have kept my mouth shut. I'm not sure if she really doesn't sell green FL diamonds (she said it didn't meet their standards so they can't sell it) or if it was more underhanded. It was from a non-NY shop too, which was great because it would have saved me on upfront taxes.

I'm not sure if the diamond is just removed from her site or if she actually reserved from the bigger inventory that diamond resellers use. I see another site that still has it available (possibly, they just didn't refresh their listings since this happened only 15 minutes ago). Is there a way to see who else is selling this? Then again, the responses here seem to suggest it's risky buying a green fluoro diamond, so maybe it was for the best. Unfortunately, this kills a weekend's worth of effort and I'm back to square one.

RockBrat

Shiny_Rock
If GIA graded it and the cert is clear then you wouldn't have to worry about hpht treatment. The cert should say something about it. I think it could be a really cool stone although I've never seen one in person. There could be some issues with appearance but you won't know until you see it. I'd try using search terms in google, try blue nile, to see if you can find which other vendors have it in their inventory. And I would call the other company that shows it in stock. I'm sure several vendors have it listed, you just have to find them.

simurgh

Rough_Rock
I totally get how you'd feel badly, as I do the same in similar circumstances. I just wanted to say that it might be for the best - you might not want to buy from a company that would pull something like that, and now you have a ton of know,edge about diamonds to use elsewhere (and if you want green fluor then your search will be pretty focused) ...

RockBrat

Shiny_Rock
I wanted to come back to add don't be so hard on yourself. How would you have known how she would react? And why would you have even thought she'd refuse it to you. It's almost like she's punishing you for noticing something I assume she had incorrectly listed (was it listed as blue flour?) I would not work with that vendor though unless they'll sell you this diamond. I just don't feel she handled herself or the situation well at all.

ghostm42

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the responses. The whole ordeal really did leave a bad taste in my mouth. After I realized what she had done and I told her I was still interested in it, she just abandoned the chat with no response for a while. When she did return eventually, I asked for a recommendation for another diamond if this was no longer available. She posted one that was $2000 more expensive. :-/

Unfortunately, this was one of three PriceScope-sponsored sellers that does not charge sales tax in NY.

I doubt I'll try to chase a green FL diamond. It's not a search criteria and I don't know how it looks in person.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results