shape
carat
color
clarity

Medium Florescence in E Color

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Kathristin

Rough_Rock
I decided to sacrifice clarity for color in the following stone:

Carat: 0.74
Color: E
Clarity: SI1 (Few flaws towards outside, eye clean)
Polish: Good
Symmetry: Good
Measurements: 5.82x5.89x3.58
Table: 60%
Depth: 61.1%
Crown: 33.2 deg/13.7%
Pavilion: 40.7 deg/42.6%
Culet: None
Girdle: Thin to thick. faceted
Florescence: Medium Blue
Price: $2650

A couple questions:

--Is this a good price for the stone?

--Is the medium blue florescence something I should worry about? Should I ask for a discount because of it?

--Are "Good" polish/symmetry acceptable?

Thanks in advace for any input.

Kristin

Iceman

Brilliant_Rock
First of all your right here at Price scope and you can see if that is a fair price.

What lab graded it ? If it was AGS or GIA then the florescence is a plus, it will
look whiter. You can also be assured the diamond was graded properly.

Other labs the flourecence throws off the graders eyes (some dont use filters) and it
could be off a color grade of two to their favor.

Hope this helps on your pick.

dimonbob

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hello Kristin and welcome to the forum,

To answer your questions:

Yes the price is fair.

Medium blue fluorescence is not something to worry about specially in a higher color diamond. The only time you need to worry about the florescence is when it is yellow fluorescence or when it is very strong blue fluorescence or "overblue". Both of these are very rare and some members of the diamond trade have used it as a scare tactic to kill the competitions diamond sale and puff up their on "non-fluorescent" diamond. GIA did a study on this subject in 1997 and found no effect on higher color diamonds and an improvement on lower colored diamonds.

A Good polish is just that. If you can get the same diamond with a very good or better yet an excellent polish, you will see the improvement.

Don't get in a rush when buying a diamond!

optimized

Shiny_Rock
Lower-colored diamonds (say, below H/I or so) definitely benefit from blue fluorescence, but an "E" color stone shouldn't really be helped by medium blue fluorescence since E is already so close to perfectly colorless. There is still much debate as to whether the fluorescence would enhance the appearance of the stone in other ways, but I think it's a stretch to say it'll look "whiter."

Having said that, in most cases medium blue fluorescence is not something that would be of concern either, and many stunning diamonds exhibit this phenomenon. Strong fluorescence and fluorescence in colors other than blue should be approached with more caution, but medium blue is typically not an issue.

Fluorescent diamonds do carry a slight discount within the industry (especially with stones graded by some of the less respected labs), but that discount is typically already figured into the asking price. I'd follow Iceman's advice and check the search engine here (and shop around elsewhere) to see if the stone you're considering is fairly priced. The diamond you listed scores a 1.6 on the HCA, and the pricing seems inline with the market, but you should really look around to get a good feel for the nuances of your diamond and how the proportions jibe with the price....

-Tim

Kathristin

Rough_Rock
Thanks agian fr the help.

It is really not my concern that the E color look whiter persay. I just want to make sure that the medium blue fluorescence will not hurt the transparency or color of the stone.

What are the possible negative effects of medium blue fluorescence and what kinds of light should I look at the stone in to make sure it doesn't exhibit any of these effects?

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Med Blue shouln't be noticeable...
The cut sounds nice, but not that special... I'd pass on this one and keep on looking, maybe for an ideal H&A stone!!

Giangi

hbright

Rough_Rock
Med fluor in E color may make the stone slight blue or purple in sunlight but normal under most other conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results