shape
carat
color
clarity

Medical Books - recommendations?

noelwr

Brilliant_Rock
hi, DH did medical studies for one year and every time I ask him something about the human body, he always says he wishes he could find his medical books to show me. we have no idea where they went missing.

so... I think I will get him some new ones for Christmas. yes, I plan in advance but I also have to order these books as I don't live in an English-speaking country.

my question is: Can you recommend good ones, I'm guessing with illustrations, that you may know from your own medical studies?
Gray's Anatomy?
I don't want to ask him because I want it to be a surprise.

thanks!

artdecogirl

Brilliant_Rock
Mosbys medical nursing and allied health dictionary, best medical reference book ever.

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Every speciality has a specific textbook, but if you want to give him an all-encompassing one, then I would stick with internal medicine. From my experience, Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine is the gold standard.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Harrison's is HUGE and way more in-depth than any non-internist would ever need. I'm a doc but not an internist, and I bought it during med school to use as a reference, but it just sits on my shelf, barely cracked open.

If you want an anatomy atlas, Netter's is a good one.

For a medical dictionary, Stedman's Concise is exactly what the title says.

Pocket books like Ferri's Guide or Pocket Medicine and board review books like Boards and Wards by Ayala and Spellberg may also be what you're looking for. Good luck!

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
jstarfireb|1308770157|2952182 said:
Harrison's is HUGE and way more in-depth than any non-internist would ever need. I'm a doc but not an internist, and I bought it during med school to use as a reference, but it just sits on my shelf, barely cracked open.

If you want an anatomy atlas, Netter's is a good one.

For a medical dictionary, Stedman's Concise is exactly what the title says.

Pocket books like Ferri's Guide or Pocket Medicine and board review books like Boards and Wards by Ayala and Spellberg may also be what you're looking for. Good luck!

Thank you for this suggestion - I might just order it for myself too. I'm not an MD, but I use Harrison's a LOT. But mostly because I need to know every little detail about my therapeutic area.

I also need to buy Goodman and Gilman AGAIN. I seemed to have misplaced it - I remember lending it out to someone, but can't for the life of me figure out who!

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Now you've got me curious, kama...what do you do?

Perhaps I don't use Harrison's a lot because I'm in anesthesia, and there's not a lot of anesthesiology in Harrison's!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results