shape
carat
color
clarity

Medical Alert Jewellery - Please Show Your Solution!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have raised this on here in the past without much success. A classic medical alert bracelet has eluded me forever. Forever. They are tacky coloured beads, flimsy silver chains, Velcro straps, gold plated that’s so thin it rubs off after a few weeks of wear, leather with engraved beads attached or the WORST…. Stainless steel :-o

I have an entire section in my jewellery box dedicated to failures. Too chunky, too flimsy, snapped, tacky. You name it, I have it.

My most recent solution back in June & a minor success, was to have an off the shelf 18ct yellow gold disc bracelet engraved. It’s tiny, but has the relevant info on both sides. I wear it on my left wrist so that it never gets lost in my RH bracelet stack. But it doesn’t scream very loud.

I am tempted to go fully custom & have something made in 18ct that’s a bit more obvious. There MUST be PSers out there willing to share their solutions, without showing personal engraving? Or don’t people wear these anymore & carry alert cards instead (I carry 2 - purse & back of clear phone case)?

IMG_2111.jpeg

88_star

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I know this is across the pond but Stuller has an actual medical alert bracelet that doesn't have the brightly colored enamel if you are trying to go for something more subtle but can still have all the important information.

Screenshot 2023-10-17 at 8.56.46 AM.png

Otherwise, it seems this style (maybe with a different chain depending on your liking) could be an option. I see vintage options or ones from gold piles pop up every once in a while as well. Some may have existing engraving you could just have it polished off and engraved with your information.
Screenshot 2023-10-17 at 9.00.10 AM.png
Another more modern style
Screenshot 2023-10-17 at 9.00.42 AM.png

Leigh10

Shiny_Rock
I have raised this on here in the past without much success. A classic medical alert bracelet has eluded me forever. Forever. They are tacky coloured beads, flimsy silver chains, Velcro straps, gold plated that’s so thin it rubs off after a few weeks of wear, leather with engraved beads attached or the WORST…. Stainless steel :-o

I have an entire section in my jewellery box dedicated to failures. Too chunky, too flimsy, snapped, tacky. You name it, I have it.

My most recent solution back in June & a minor success, was to have an off the shelf 18ct yellow gold disc bracelet engraved. It’s tiny, but has the relevant info on both sides. I wear it on my left wrist so that it never gets lost in my RH bracelet stack. But it doesn’t scream very loud.

I am tempted to go fully custom & have something made in 18ct that’s a bit more obvious. There MUST be PSers out there willing to share their solutions, without showing personal engraving? Or don’t people wear these anymore & carry alert cards instead (I carry 2 - purse & back of clear phone case)?

IMG_2111.jpeg

Excellent topic... I've dealt with this, too. My solution? For me, it was important to 1) have an actual Medic Alert charm (specifically engraved), 2) be discreet, yet clear to emergency medical personnel if I could not communicate for myself, and 3) be fashionable and adhere to my style of mixed metals. Also, as medical history can change, I didn't want to invest in a solid gold charm/tag.
I purchased a sterling silver Medic Alert bracelet with the smallest charm/medal, detached it, and had my jeweler solder an 18k gold rope chain to it. Because of the weight of the charm, it mostly stays flat against the back of my wrist. I layer it with my "half-and-half" diamond line/paperclip bracelet for every day. When going out, I may add a bangle or another tennis bracelet. I've found it is comfortable, stylish (I think) and discreet. Good luck in your search and please keep this thread going!!!

Attachments

• 000_AA.jpg
    000_AA.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 59
  • 000_BBB.jpg
    000_BBB.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 59
  • 000_CCC.jpg
    000_CCC.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 62
  • 000_DDD.jpg
    000_DDD.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 60

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you @88_star - this is a really good suggestion. It didn’t even occur to me to buy a vintage ID bracelet & I shall start having a mooch around.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Excellent topic... I've dealt with this, too. My solution? For me, it was important to 1) have an actual Medic Alert charm (specifically engraved), 2) be discreet, yet clear to emergency medical personnel if I could not communicate for myself, and 3) be fashionable and adhere to my style of mixed metals. Also, as medical history can change, I didn't want to invest in a solid gold charm/tag.
I purchased a sterling silver Medic Alert bracelet with the smallest charm/medal, detached it, and had my jeweler solder an 18k gold rope chain to it. Because of the weight of the charm, it mostly stays flat against the back of my wrist. I layer it with my "half-and-half" diamond line/paperclip bracelet for every day. When going out, I may add a bangle or another tennis bracelet. I've found it is comfortable, stylish (I think) and discreet. Good luck in your search and please keep this thread going!!!

This is the most fabulous idea :kiss2: The medic alert is really clear & is the scream I am missing, whilst the gold chain (I have many I could adapt) elevates it from the cheap, flimsy options available. It’s really the chain part that I take offence too, as they are just a bit nasty & I’ve also had 2 snap over the years from not a very hard snag. Shall investigate this option too.

lala646

Brilliant_Rock
This is the most fabulous idea :kiss2: The medic alert is really clear & is the scream I am missing, whilst the gold chain (I have many I could adapt) elevates it from the cheap, flimsy options available. It’s really the chain part that I take offence too, as they are just a bit nasty & I’ve also had 2 snap over the years from not a very hard snag. Shall investigate this option too.

Ooh, this could be an excellent use for a vintage watch chain that's too short to use as a necklace.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a tricky one. If it looks too much like fashion jewelry, it may be overlooked at the outset. I wish you luck in finding something that will alert immediately and yet not look so large and obtrusive. You are very clever and creative - I am sure you will find just the right thing!

kathley

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Not a jewelry option, but if you have an iPhone, there is a medical alert option where you can fill out all of your medical information. During an emergency, any medical staff can access that info.

Leigh10

Shiny_Rock
Not a jewelry option, but if you have an iPhone, there is a medical alert option where you can fill out all of your medical information. During an emergency, any medical staff can access that info.

I appreciate your suggestion, yet it is not as safe as wearing the worldwide recognized Medic Alert charm. There is no guarantee a person won't be separated from their phone, their phone may be damaged or 'dead,' or there isn't time (or the presence of mind) for an emergency medical person to locate it.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

i love this
it looks obveouse what it is and at the end of the day its most important job is to give life saving info

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results