shape
carat
color
clarity

Measuring cut online??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

chelsea21

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I am looking at a couple of diamonds on Bluenile and have run them through the Hollaway cut advisor (they all get scores around 1.5) and all have either excellent or ideal polish and symmetry... is that enough to assume they are cut well? (if it matters, all are SI1, I and around 2.2 carats) Cut is the most important "C" to me. Is 1.5 even a good enough score, or should I be looking for something that scores lower than a 1?

Also, has any bought a diamond from Bluenile but had it sent to Superbcert to be set in their Tiffany replica setting? How did it work out? Was it any easy/safe process?

Thanks everyone!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A score of 1 is not necessarily better than 1.5. Staying under 2 is generally the objective. However, you''ll get feedback on which might be better if you post the specs here.

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Hi Chelsea21 and WELCOME to Pricesscope.
35.gif

I'm not an expert, but here are a few pointers. It would be good if you could get an ideal-scope image and/or a Sarin report. The HCA is intended as a guide and is not meant for final diamond selection.

Some other things you didn't mention: You want either no culet preferably, or one that is "very small", at the most. Also you don't want a huge range in the girdle thickness. It should be Medium, Thin-Medium, or Med-Slightly Thick. It would be good if you posted the specs on a diamond and asked for feedback. Some people have stronger feelings about crown angles, pavilion angles, etc.

If you are looking at SI-1's, I think you should definitely see an image of the diamond - some are a lot cleaner than others. Hope this helps.

chelsea21

Rough_Rock
Ok, here are the specs on 2 diamonds:

(both are about 2.2 carats, I, SI1, and have no culet)

Dia 1:
Table- 54.5
Depth- 62.5
Crown Ang- 34.3
Pav Ang- 41.0
Girdle- med-thick

Dia 2:
Table- 56
Depth- 62
Crown Ang- 35
Pav Ang- 40.8
Girdle- medium

Thanks everyone!

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can''t find; please link.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Need more info to determine cut... pavilion and crown angles, Idealscope image, photo(s) of diamond.

shel

Shiny_Rock
So far, the 2nd one is better. The first is a little deep and the girdle is thick.

chelsea21

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your help so far everyone. I''m not sure how to get an idealscope image or pic of the diamond - will Bluenile supply those?

DBM

Shiny_Rock
i honestly don''t think at this point of detail and subtlety you really have any way of knowing which has the better cut. play with the numbers but don''t go OCD with them, they wont tell you for sure.

the other Jake

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/6/2006 6:27:44 PM
Author:chelsea21
Hi,

I am looking at a couple of diamonds on Bluenile and have run them through the Hollaway cut advisor (they all get scores around 1.5) and all have either excellent or ideal polish and symmetry... is that enough to assume they are cut well? (if it matters, all are SI1, I and around 2.2 carats) Cut is the most important 'C' to me. Is 1.5 even a good enough score, or should I be looking for something that scores lower than a 1?

Also, has any bought a diamond from Bluenile but had it sent to Superbcert to be set in their Tiffany replica setting? How did it work out? Was it any easy/safe process?

Thanks everyone!
If cut is the most important to you, I would recommend finding a diamond that was graded with a cut of AGS 0. The new AGS reports are more accurate when it comes to grading cut.

ETA: I didn't know you could edit posts after they're posted... neat

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Stones graded AGS 0 and others graded in the same way, by parametric measurement, are relatively all over the place when compared to direct measurement of actual light behavior. All of them look good or better, but there is quite a wide range of "looks" to even the AGS 0 cut. You need to see the stone although you can do some screening in advance to save shipping costs.

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Hi Chelsea. You're not alone, there are quite a few folks who have looked at diamonds from BN and are at a lack for info. Probably the most important thing for you is to determine if the SI-1 is really EYE-CLEAN - there can be some snotty ones, so I'm guessing that is your most important factor right now.

About the cut, with what little I know, I think you want to generally keep your depth below 62.3%, keep the crown angle between 34 and 35 degrees, and the pavilion angle just under 41 degrees. I'm sure there are diamonds that fall outside this criteria that are beautiful, but without seeing them, these may be good rules-of-thumb. Someone correct me please if I am wrong?

DBM

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/7/2006 9:48:31 AM

About the cut, with what little I know, I think you want to generally keep your depth above 62.3%, keep the crown angle between 34 and 35 degrees, and the pavilion angle just under 41 degrees. I''m sure there are diamonds that fall outside this criteria that are beautiful, but without seeing them, these may be good rules-of-thumb. Someone correct me please if I am wrong?
did you mean below 62.3?

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Yes, sorry below 62.3%. I''ll edit the post - thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results