shape
carat
color
clarity

Meals that you can freeze

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
As I''m working evenings now during the week, I''m hoping to cook a couple of dinners at the weekend so I can freeze them and heat them up as needed. Can anyone give me any ideas of things that freeze well. I cooked bolognese and chilli this week but have ran out of ideas already! Thank you

Dannielle

Brilliant_Rock
- Soups and Stews
- Meatballs
- Lasagna
- Quiche
- Pasta Bakes
.. That is all I can think of at the moment
1.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/13/2009 7:35:29 AM
Author: Dannielle
- Soups and Stews
- Meatballs
- Lasagna
- Quiche
- Pasta Bakes
.. That is all I can think of at the moment
1.gif
These all freeze well, do does Shepherds or cottage pie

studyer83

Shiny_Rock
"Mexican Lasagna" - tortillas with beans/meat(if you want)/cheese/veggies/rice. Really forgiving and easy to make relatively healthy.

Ratatouille

"Thanksgiving Dinner" - bake sliced turkey breast (or chicken breast, easier to find) with a stuffing-like mixture (dried breadcrumbs, cooked onions, sausage, sage, apples....whatever you would include)

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Home-made veg soup and Cottage pie are my 'go-to' freezer meals.

I bulk buy Aldi bread rolls (& freeze them down) too and have a pack of ham or soup handy for quick ham rolls or soup and rolls.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Taco meat and BBQ also freeze really well. And, they're super easy to turn into a meal. I love to have taco meat on hand because you can use it as tacos, mix with beans and make burritos, throw it on a bun and have spicy BBQ or mix it in with some cheese for a quick and tasty appetizer. I've also thrown BBQd hamburger or taco meat on homemade pizzas.

I try to make extra sauce when I make spag or lasagna and freeze it too. It's handy for all of your regular saucy meals, but also great to throw with frozen ravs for a quick dinner or as a garlic bread dip for an appetizer.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks so much for all those ideas-will have to get cooking this weekend! I made a batch of soup earlier so am going to freeze that now and will do a lasagna in the morning.

Delster

Ideal_Rock
bee when you make that lasagne today, make up extra batches of the bolognese sauce and then freeze it in sachets. You can even freeze it with the mince and all in. When you come to defrost it later, if you leave it as is and serve with pasta then you have spaghetti bolognese, or if you add in some chilli and serve with rice/tacos then you have (a kind of a version of) chilli con carne. It just means you have a few more choices with your frozen meals!

We sometimes freeze fish pie, we make it just like shepherd''s pie but it''s a dairy sauce rather than a gravy.

LitigatorChick

Brilliant_Rock
I make my bean burritos and the bean mixture is perfectly freezable. My recipe to the super healthy bean burritos is here posted in Vegan Stuff in Healthier Lifestyles.

LitigatorChick

Brilliant_Rock
Another good idea is to make lots of stuff on the weekend that are parts of an easy meal. For example, I always make a batch of vegtable stock and freeze it. With ready to go stock, I can make a very quick broccoli soup. Or I make a batch of hummus on the weekend as well as a spinach pesto, and those can become a yummy wrap with a few veggies. Or make/buy a pizza shell, and you can use the pesto and make a veggie pizza. So a few staples made up can really speed things up too!!!

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
All of these freeze and defrost well.

Lasagna
Chicken Caccitore (I''m making this a lot this summer and freezing small portions for myself)
Grilled or fried zucchini or eggplant
Ratatouille
Escarole, spinach or broccoli rabe sauteed in olive oil and garlic, put in small containers
Stuffed peppers
Stuffed cabbage (that''s an all day affair but it freezes well)
Sausage and peppers

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Delster-made the lasagna yesterday but didn''t have enough for any extra freezing-will definitely do that next time though-didn''t even think of that!! Thank you!

Thanks Litchick-those bean burritos sound fab-off to have a look at the vegan thread now. Do you have the hummus recipe on it too?

Thanks gemgirl-love the sound of the Chicken Caccitore. Just bought some chicken so going to attempt that this evening.

Thanks again everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results