shape
carat
color
clarity

Maybe Opalescent, Maybe Pad - Let's Find Out!

pokerface

Brilliant_Rock
Here she is, advertised as an untreated 2.31ct sapphire from Vietnam. Highly included, but as we know over here in colored gems, color is king, and I think this color is beautiful! Pad or not, I couldn't really go wrong for the price, but I'm gonna bring it over to AGL and see what the experts say. Seller is spinelthuydung on IG, she also has a sister selling under the handle spinelthuydien1987. If you are still on the lookout for an opalescent gem, they seem to have a nice selection at very reasonable prices. Here's the link to the video: https://www.instagram.com/p/CRsfjbPBudw/?utm_medium=copy_link

D8D3907A-11E3-4AFB-BC06-DC7ECE259A6A.jpeg 82D8F6AF-C310-432F-8005-01023F9AF445.jpeg F28C108E-2FBF-4B4C-ABAA-15A325B6A0B6.jpeg 186872C3-FB27-44CF-82D3-3E0603248B15.jpeg D3FBCC0C-DDCA-4653-8D1A-695D548DC2F8.jpeg

pokerface

Brilliant_Rock
Step 1: I called AGL, and apparently it's a new thing that in order to get a "pad" designation, they need to perform a color stability test (an extra $50) even if the gem is untreated. So first they will verbally assess if the stone might fit into the pad family, and I'll take it from there.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Such a beautifully opalescent stone. The color is awesome too! Do you have plans for setting her?

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Whatever it is, it sure is gorgeous!
In love with opalescent gems & am still on the lookout for my dream lilac-blue-violet opalescent sapphire!

Although you totally influenced me & I bought this ruby cabochon. It looks lovely and the seller describes it as no heat or treatment. Curious to see if that's true, I'm thinking of getting a lab report except the gemstone didn't cost much more than one.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CSE1NDABv3n/?utm_medium=copy_link

pokerface

Brilliant_Rock
Whatever it is, it sure is gorgeous!
In love with opalescent gems & am still on the lookout for my dream lilac-blue-violet opalescent sapphire!

Although you totally influenced me & I bought this ruby cabochon. It looks lovely and the seller describes it as no heat or treatment. Curious to see if that's true, I'm thinking of getting a lab report except the gemstone didn't cost much more than one.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CSE1NDABv3n/?utm_medium=copy_link

Nice!! I love being a bad influence. :devil:

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
A few more pics...

Sunlight

A9F21558-029F-460A-89E1-FFEFDECC74EE.jpeg

Showing lilac
AB402437-AD9D-4BD1-97CA-CDA20CBEB264.jpeg

Looks worse in a bezel? Weird...
C0591B1D-A667-47B9-ADA2-67516C342F43.jpeg

I still have my wonky sapphire out to DK, but this will be next on tap! I'm feeling pretty inspired by the asymmetrical floral halo on @fussykiki 's pink sapphire: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/blue-sapphire-and-pink-sapphire-rings.267963/

Love the combination of peachy-pink orange & lilac! So sunset-y!

Also quick question, did the seller ask that you pay using pp friends & family? & Also did you pay extra for shipping or was it included in the cost.

pokerface

Brilliant_Rock
Love the combination of peachy-pink orange & lilac! So sunset-y!

Also quick question, did the seller ask that you pay using pp friends & family? & Also did you pay extra for shipping or was it included in the cost.

She did ask about pp friends & family but I refused. Not for a first transaction. I asked for the free local shipping but then she said that she had to send it Fedex because of Covid. I'm happy with the stone so I agreed to split the cost of Fedex, even though I hadn't agreed to pay for the service. It was still a good deal and it did arrive very quickly.

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
She did ask about pp friends & family but I refused. Not for a first transaction. I asked for the free local shipping but then she said that she had to send it Fedex because of Covid. I'm happy with the stone so I agreed to split the cost of Fedex, even though I hadn't agreed to pay for the service. It was still a good deal and it did arrive very quickly.

So did she add on the tax PayPal charged her to the overall cost or no?
Just curious because I can be too nice sometimes, but I also don't want to be walked over if it's not customary & pay extra than what others would have, if that makes sense!

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Yay for opalescents for just being what they are.
In a way(at least for me) this is way cooler than padparadscha.
I really do just love 'em.

pokerface

Brilliant_Rock
So did she add on the tax PayPal charged her to the overall cost or no?
Just curious because I can be too nice sometimes, but I also don't want to be walked over if it's not customary & pay extra than what others would have, if that makes sense!

No, not to the overall price. I sent friends & family and paid the tax (I think $1) when I sent the extra money for the shipping (which was optional).

pokerface

Brilliant_Rock
Yay for opalescents for just being what they are.
In a way(at least for me) this is way cooler than padparadscha.
I really do just love 'em.

I agree! I looove these colors and I really don't think I'd prefer pad to this, if this is not pad - which it's apparently not! =)2

M

maru8888777

it's beautiful! Did you find her prices reasonable? I've been eyeing some of her spinels but I'm always shy to ask.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pretty stone- I see it’s appeal!
I got a quick answer: it's a no! AGL said the stone also has lilac tones, so it's automatically excluded from a pad designation. I opted to not get the brief. Oh well! I am still very pleased with it.

Nosy question - do you live very near AGL and did a walk-in, or did they really do the lilac evaluation by a picture?

M

maru8888777

fussykiki

Shiny_Rock

pokerface

Brilliant_Rock
I am sure your stone will go very well with that setting. Can't wait to see!

Thanks! I was gonna check with you on borrowing elements of the design if I do go down that path. Appreciate it! Your sketch was really quite brilliant.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results