shape
carat
color
clarity

Maybe im going about this all wrong.....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

gokorn1

Rough_Rock
So again i have been looking for a 1ct Princess cut engagement ring. I have been looking for a diamond that fall in the I to J color range with a VS2 to VVS1. I have noticed that most people are buying diamonds that are SI1 or similar. Most diamonds i see in the jewelers are SI's. i look at the GIA reports and see so much junk in the diamonds its hard to think it would be ok to buy. Should i be focusing on color and other things rather than clarity?

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
SI''s can represent a great value because of the decrease in price from VS2 to SI1, if they are eyeclean (i.e., you can''t see inclusions from the face up position). You do need to be cautious however because not all SI1''s are eyeclean and some can be downright ugly. But it does allow you to put your $ into things that CAN be seen, like cut or color. It''s all a personal preference.

gokorn1

Rough_Rock
what would you consider a J color? would the average person be able to tell a difference between that and a H or I

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/1/2007 3:45:27 PM
Author: neatfreak
SI''s can represent a great value because of the decrease in price from VS2 to SI1, if they are eyeclean (i.e., you can''t see inclusions from the face up position). You do need to be cautious however because not all SI1''s are eyeclean and some can be downright ugly. But it does allow you to put your $ into things that CAN be seen, like cut or color. It''s all a personal preference.
Ditto. There are lots of good ones out there.

And to answer your last question, yes, I''d pay a bit more attention to color, with a Princess. They show color more easily than rounds. I would suggest sticking to G or H, at the lowest.

Hera

Ideal_Rock
I would drop down in the clarity into the SI range and up in the color range (G, H) because a princess cut shows more color than other shapes. You''ll notice color more than you would an inclusion because you can see color from a few feet. You''d have to be probably within a few inches to see an inclusion.

Hera

Ideal_Rock
lol Ellen, I might have learned that from you.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/1/2007 3:39:52 PM
Author:gokorn1

Should i be focusing on color and other things rather than clarity?
yes, the cut.
2.gif

a well cut diamond will sparkle like crazy and hide most inclusions. same with color.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/1/2007 3:58:17 PM
Author: heraanderson
9.gif
2.gif

And ditto belle, cut is king. Actually, searching for an AGS0 (graded for light performance) stone would be a smashing idea!

gokorn1

Rough_Rock
thanks for the help. this leads me to another question. Im most likely going to buy a diamond one. Now with out looking at it and just looking at the GIA report for a SI. is there a way to tell what inclusions would be visible with the eye?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not with 100% certainty. Judging eye cleanliless on SI stones should be judged on a case by case basis.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/1/2007 3:54:47 PM
Author: Ellen

Date: 11/1/2007 3:45:27 PM
Author: neatfreak
Ditto. There are lots of good ones out there.

And to answer your last question, yes, I''d pay a bit more attention to color, with a Princess. They show color more easily than rounds. I would suggest sticking to G or H, at the lowest.
i would add the disclaimer that just like rounds, a well cut stone, no matter what color, will look better than any mediocre/poor cut. among the well cut princesses that i have seen in person, they don''t show any more color than their round counterparts.
again, cut and size play a big part but i wouldn''t automatically dismiss i/j colored princesses. it is a great way to save some $$$

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/1/2007 4:06:25 PM
Author: Ellen

Date: 11/1/2007 3:58:17 PM
Author: heraanderson
9.gif
2.gif

And ditto belle, cut is king. Actually, searching for an AGS0 (graded for light performance) stone would be a smashing idea!
smashing
36.gif

it should be the official word of the day
28.gif

gokorn1

Rough_Rock
well im off to do some researh and hopefully find an awesome stone. Thanks agian for your help. Im going to maker sure im able to return the stone if im unhappy

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results