shape
carat
color
clarity

Maybe I don't understand Mahenge colors

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I got yet another Mahenge from MC today. Tell me what you think.

MULTICOLOUR_SN7415ab[1]_Page_1.jpg

MULTICOLOUR_SN7415ab[1]_Page_2.jpg

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
OK now my pics

newmah4.JPG

newmah3.JPG

newmah2.JPG

NEWMAH.JPG

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
That looks too dark... and garnet-ish?

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmm...Maybe I don't either. Or the vendor pics are throwing everything off. I think my favourite so far was the oval. Did you send it back already?

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
NKOTB|1316624687|3022220 said:
Hmm...Maybe I don't either. Or the vendor pics are throwing everything off. I think my favourite so far was the oval. Did you send it back already?
Uppy has adopted the oval. It wasn't what I was looking for.

And yeah, it looks a bit like a garnet.

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, I thought she adopted the sleepy one, but I'm referring to the other one. I think it was an oval, anyway. The one you were comparing to the AJs one.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've noticed a trend in the ones you like - they all seem to be towards the purple end of the spectrum. Are you looking for HOT HOT HOT pink?

With Multicolour, their photos are fairly accurate but tend to be a shade or two lighter and brighter than the gem you receive - same for AJS and Swala actually. So if you buy from them, look for the photos that scream out of the page at you and look almost photoshopped. In my experience, those are the ones that in real life will be slightly darker but live up to expectations!

I've got to say that Multicolour (although one of my preferred vendors for other stones) doesn't seem to hold the very hot neon pink Mahenges overall (sweeping generalisation but I'm talking about the majority of their spinels). They're fantastic for some other stones but for some reason their spinels disappoint me a little.

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Oh yes, she adopted the sleepy. Sorry. Yeah, I returned the other one. Too expensive for what it was.

I have this one coming from ebay. *fingers crossed*

$(KGrHqR,!hgE5omUw0h2BO,+(hj(HQ~~60_3.jpg

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
LovingDiamonds|1316625364|3022231 said:
They're fantastic for some other stones but for some reason their spinels disappoint me a little.
Yeah, I'm getting that. Although the sleepy one that Uppy adopted is gorgeous - just not what I was looking for.

Yeah, I think I am looking for hot pink. I want the shock factor, you know? My current Mahenge ring has that. I'm not buying any more after this (famous last words, but DH has put his foot down)

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I do so love pears though. This is just too dark, me thinks. Really does look like a garnet.

NEWMAH5.JPG

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
The heart's color looks really nice. I can't wait to see how it looks. :)

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Personally I think that Mahenges should have a fair dose of orange in them and not be too dark or too pale.

I've also found that when I see the real thing in person my reaction tends to be 'Wow, now I understand the hype' as they just GLOW.

The certificate photo shows a good Mahenge colour (perhaps leaning towards the darker end), but your photos show a very nice red spinel that is nothing to be sniffed at, but not what I would think is THE colour.

I have a couple of small Mahenges and I have found that going for slightly paler than you think is better than slightly darker.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Honey, I'd really hold onto that one and see it in lots of different lights. It is reddish, but will probably show the pink in regular light. Mine is slightly darkish too. The saturation level is really good with this one and I think you're probably looking at it in inside daylight. This is the least flattering light for mine too. Wait for Chrono to chime in. I think this stone is the best reprsentation of a mahenge for what you've looked at.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Okay, first of all, you must totally ignore my sausage like hairy fingers. I should have shrunk the picture more. But here is a snap I just took in my family room with just natural light. Is this what you think of for an "example" mahenge? I think Chrono's stone has a bit more red than mine. I wonder if she could take that kind of photo for you.

IMG_3796.JPG

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I adore the purple in yours Uppy. It's just so edible, even in low light. I have 10 days. I'll test it in different light. I think I'm just feeling all around bluesy so nothing's going to make me get excited.

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Here are some pics I took outside and some of them next to the new tourm I just got.

newmah6.JPG

newmah7.JPG

newmah8.JPG

newmah9.JPG

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like that it's red, and the new pics do not say garnet to me AT ALL.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Athena - your latest photos show a very pretty stone and I agree with Pandora that on it's own merits it's a lovely spinel. If you like it then I'd keep it but I understand it's not what you're looking for. If you can afford to keep it and keep looking for your pink neon heaven then I think you'll be pleased when you look back.

Edit: I also agree with Freke that it definitely doesn't say "I'm a garnet"!

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
The new pics look a lot nicer! I would be temped to keep it...

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Upgradable|1316639366|3022406 said:
Okay, first of all, you must totally ignore my sausage like hairy fingers. I should have shrunk the picture more. But here is a snap I just took in my family room with just natural light. Is this what you think of for an "example" mahenge? I think Chrono's stone has a bit more red than mine. I wonder if she could take that kind of photo for you.

I think the white balance is off in your photo Uppy. Your fingers look washed out. :?:

In my honest opinion, a fine mahenge should not look like a rhodolite garnet. No offense to rhodolites as they are very pretty in their own right, but they are far less expesive. They should be neon pinkish red, or neon hot pink and be very bright and saturated in all lighting, even on a cloudy dim day. I don't think the newer material has this quality. They should also have strong fluorescence.

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
TL|1316651029|3022530 said:
Upgradable|1316639366|3022406 said:

I think the white balance is off in your photo Uppy. Your fingers look washed out. :?:

In my honest opinion, a fine mahenge should not look like a rhodolite garnet. No offense to rhodolites as they are very pretty in their own right, but they are far less expesive. They should be neon pinkish red, or neon hot pink and be very bright and saturated in all lighting, even on a cloudy dim day. I don't think the newer material has this quality. They should also have strong fluorescence.
I feel like I'm on the quest for the Mahenge holy grail. It's all very disappointing. I just got here too late. Ah well.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A fine mahenge should knock your socks off when you open the package. If it doesn't, than it's probably not a fine mahenge, unless you're a person who just doesn't like very saturated hot pinkish red, or hot pink.

ETA: David called the stone purplish red in his grading report. Purplish red isn't considered as fine as pinkish red. They can tend to look more like rhodolites. He also gave it a moderately strong saturation level, which isn't very saturated, but it's not washed out either. He does the grading himself. In the past, I returned two MC.com mahenges becase they didn't live up to the grading level, but that is just my opinion. Others may disagree.

The Terra Spinel book has an excellent color plate on Mahenge spinels.

http://www.spinelbook.com/images/pages/spinel-pp-160-161.jpg

Everyone's computer is different, but here's the plate. I recommend seeing it in the actual book however. I think it is spot on for what fine mahenge color should look like.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i don't think of mahenge as a vivid pink as much as a pink balanced with some orange....not necessarily obvious orange but a hint of orange within it.

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like it Athenaworth.
It does have more red but from my understanding finer Mahenges do have a good bit. Mine has a LOT of red in indoors lighting but much more neonish pink outdoors which makes me love the different personalities it shows.

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Bright ice, the color of your stone is my dream color. I a, so flipping excited for you to get your ring!

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
athenaworth|1316658544|3022595 said:
Bright ice, the color of your stone is my dream color. I a, so flipping excited for you to get your ring!

I SO cannot wait to get it on my hand. Victor said I would have it tomorrow :appl: He commented in his latest email that it is a "real estate piece and the color is incredible".

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you and I have been on a Mahenge quest at the same time. I purchased two from MC that have yet to arrive. The difference in your choices and mine is that I chose red (pink) without any purple or orange hues. Like you I chose moderate/strong saturation. I will post pics when I receive mine. The Mahenge I have does not have any purple in it at all, perhaps slight orange in some lights. That is what I based my future selections on. The ring you purchased seems more neon pink "Mahenge" color to me then your stone from MC. The stone from MC is gorgeous, and has beauty in it's own right. But, I think you are really looking for pure pink like you posted.

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
OK here are some pics I just took here at home in low light and in my kitchen (that's entirely yellow, so bear with me)

IMG_7793.JPG

IMG_7794.JPG

IMG_7797.JPG

IMG_7798.JPG

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
A few more

IMG_7806.JPG

IMG_7809.JPG

IMG_7812.JPG

IMG_7813.JPG

Deia

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I actually really like this stone. It has several personalities. But ultimately if you feel you are not happy with it, return it and start again! (as painful as that can be...)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results