shape
carat
color
clarity

Maya vs. the Ultrasonic

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ephemery1

Brilliant_Rock
So, my refurbished Sharper Image Ultrasonic arrived last week and I''ve been mildly obsessed... trying to hold off on everyday use... but it''s just so convenient...
31.gif

However, my cat is not quite as impressed. Actually, she is terrified... backed into a corner with a puffed-up tail, staring at the thing like its about to leap off my dresser and attack her. My friend is guessing it might emit something other than the clicking sound that we hear, that irritates her sensitive ears... has anyone else noticed an unusual cat/dog reaction to their ultrasonic cleaners? I don''t want to be hurting her, poor girl... but wow, is that sparkle addicting...
23.gif

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The first time I used my US The Demon Dog flattened his ears and went into the bathroom to glare at it. Not much of a reaction after that first time; me must have gotten used to it since I use it every morning. And yes, the sparkle is indeed addictive!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I bet Maya will get used to it. My dogs hated the noise at first and ran under my bed. Have to say hubby wasn''t thrilled with it either. Can you close the door to make the noise more bearable for Maya???

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
ditto...portia didn''t love it either at first...she put her ears down and kind of stared at it...but now almost a year later she is used to it..hehee. esp since it gets used DAILY.

Julian

Brilliant_Rock
How funny! My dogs flipped out when I first bought the US cleaner, too!

They quickly get used to it, though. I hope the same goes for cats!

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
My cat Rascal doesn''t like it either. What I do is put the ultrasonic in the bathroom, turn on the bathroom fan, and then close the door while the ultrasonic is running. It works well for us
2.gif
3.gif

flopkins

Ideal_Rock
ok kinda off topic, but what do you guys use to clean your jewelry w/ in the US? light ammonia soln?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
i use ammonia mixed with mr clean and super hot microwaved water, or sometimes just the water and ammonia.

the weird thing is that this new stone gets WAY dirtier than my old stone and it drives me nuts...so i am constantly cleaning it. hehee.

flopkins

Ideal_Rock
thanks mara.

we actually have the SI US at my lab, someone got it for free somehow, and I tried to clean my ring in it but I used 70% alcohol (what we use at my lab to clean/sterilize stuff) and when I looked at it under the scope it was still dirty on the edges, esp. dunnos why. might need to try your ammonia soln.

btw - i bet it picks up more dirt BECAUSE IT''S GOT WAY MORE SURFACE AREA for it to stick to!!!!
9.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
My cats hate it too! They look so scared and slightly confused.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
lol flopkins, i assumed so but it''s kind of a PITA! literally like an hour after i clean it, it seems like there''s dust on the table again..ugh!!

i also find when i don''t use the ammonia or the really hot water, the diamond doesn''t get as clean for sure.

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ephem -- I''m sure she will get used to it soon.
1.gif
If she reacts that strongly to the US, do not under any circumstances get a Jewel Jet! LOL. That thing scares the living crap outta my dog!

ephemery1

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for your feedback everyone... glad to hear it''s not just Maya!
20.gif
Kaleigh, I moved the US into the bedroom but Maya of course feels the need to follow me in to see exactly what''s going on, before flattening ears and poofing tail and fleeing to the corner to stare down the machine with a crazed look in her eyes. Last night I ran it and she stayed in the living room though, with just a few minor ear twitches of annoyance... so I think she may be adjusting. But Rascal, your technique may be best until she fully adapts!

Just wanted to make sure I wasn''t actually injuring her in any way, with some random high-frequency sound the US might emit...

littlelysser

Brilliant_Rock
My dogs don''t really react to the ultrasonic at all. Don''t know why.

And Mara - I''ve been meaning to tell you that your mr.clean, ammonia (I use windex) solution works WONDERS! Any time I have friends over they beg to get a cleaning. In fact, I''ve even named my not-for-profit jewelery cleaning business (actually, I don''t charge anything, clearly, but it is funnier that way). It is called Spahhhhhklies. I promise that you are entitled to a portion of the non-existant profits based upon your coming up with spahhhhhklie solution.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
lol lyss...sweet it is good to know i am spreading the madness for clean diamonds all over the world!! mwhahaha.

it''s funny because sometimes you think no one notices that your diamond is clean but one of my coworkers and i were talking the other day about her hoping to get engaged soon and she was like your diamond is always so sparkly and clean, do you clean it often? i was like uhh daily.
5.gif
so it felt like validation that someone else besides me noticed. hehe.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I haven''t gotten a cleaner yet since I haven''t found my new diamond, but if you could only get one, I take it you all prefer the US over the Jewel Jet? I don''t have room or time for multiple gadgets, so I want to get the right one!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/30/2006 6:36:55 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
I haven''t gotten a cleaner yet since I haven''t found my new diamond, but if you could only get one, I take it you all prefer the US over the Jewel Jet? I don''t have room or time for multiple gadgets, so I want to get the right one!
DS

buy a heated 2 qt US for about $190
2.gif

Kay

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/28/2006 8:25:30 PM
Author: Mara
i use ammonia mixed with mr clean and super hot microwaved water, or sometimes just the water and ammonia.

the weird thing is that this new stone gets WAY dirtier than my old stone and it drives me nuts...so i am constantly cleaning it. hehee.
What kind of proportions do you use for the ingredients?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DF, I read through some of the old threads and saw that some of you bought the commerical kind @ 2 qts., but gosh, I''m into things that are very small and that do not take up space! I mean, to clean 2 rings and a pair of studs (about all I''d wear daily) shouldn''t require more than 8 oz., should it?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/30/2006 8:25:57 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
DF, I read through some of the old threads and saw that some of you bought the commerical kind @ 2 qts., but gosh, I''m into things that are very small and that do not take up space! I mean, to clean 2 rings and a pair of studs (about all I''d wear daily) shouldn''t require more than 8 oz., should it?
don''t forget...your jewelry collection will only get bigger and bigger.
31.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/30/2006 8:22:28 PM
Author: Kay

Date: 6/28/2006 8:25:30 PM
Author: Mara

What kind of proportions do you use for the ingredients?
hehe proportions? that''s assuming i have a method to my madness!

i just heat up some water in a cup, pour it up to the min fill line and then put some ammonia in til the water looks murky and start it, or i put in a little less ammonia and add some mr clean.

then i rinse it really well after OR i US it again with just hot water depending on what sort of time i have that morning.

portoar

Brilliant_Rock
I just looked through all the old threads on the US and it seemed that a lot of people use a combination of hot water, Mr. Clean/ammonia/windex and dawn dishwashing detergent. I adopted the 5 squirts Mr.Clean, drop or two of Dawn, and hot tap water approach. Seems to work well. Don''t reuse solution. Dump it every time. I also rinse really well with clear water after the US cleaning. Don''t forget to plug the sink!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results