shape
carat
color
clarity

May have made a mistake (Just bought a ring today)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Puddleglum

Rough_Rock
Well, I''ve been ''lurking'' on here for a while and doing a little research, but maybe not enough.

I bought an engagement ring at Jared today. My GF was very happy with a matched set ring and band we found there, and that had a lot to do with my decision. Also their financing options worked well with my college student budget (I realize that they build interest into the initial price)

My first question is this.

Could someone help me find a comparable ring online. As best as I can describe it: Chanel band with small diamond all the way around and the edges of the chanel were ''knurled''. It was rather vintage looking, and very pretty. Set was $1499.

The diamond was a Round .65CTS SI1/I Good/Good.

I compared it side to side with several other diamonds, and I liked this one the best. The diamond was $2000 even.

I would prefer to buy online because I realize that I will probably get better quality for the money. But I need to find the ring that works (wish I had a picture). And I also could really use the financing options that Jared had.

But above all I don''t want to feel like I got ripped off. I''m a very meticulous person, and will return this ring (within the 30 days) in a heartbeat if I feel like I can get something better online.

Thanks in advance for your help,
-Ben

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
I just built this for you. Go into the "details" and you''ll be able to see actual pics. BTW- this is before your Pricescope discount (between 2-5%)

Good Luck!!

yamsicle

Rough_Rock
Puddleglum - If your girlfriend is "very happy" with the set, and you can''t return it, then just enjoy it!

BTW - Awesome name! I love, love, love the Chronicles of Narnia. . .I musta read all 7 books at least 5-6 times!

:)

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Puddleglum and welcome to PS! How about checking Jared''s website to see if you can see a pic of the setting, and if you find it you can post it here. Another alternative would be to post an actual pic of the one you have in the thread.

What is your budget? What is important to you and your gf - does she like the biggest size for the budget, or are you guys clarity or color sensitive? What lab gave the report on the diamond you purchased? Was the color "I", or was the clarity graded as ''SI/I''. If that was the clarity, then what was the color given?

Maybe take a look through the styles at
http://www.knoxjewelers.biz/index.htm?crn=230&action=show&show_products_mode=cat_click

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Be careful that buyers remorse does not conflict with the symbolism of the moment.
Only you and your partner can make those kinds of judgements - but consider how she would feel vs how long you will feel bad.
In may case after 2 long marriages I know that my fears and worries as a guy are less important than a womens feelings.

A happy wife = a happy life

or
1.gif
30.gif
=
9.gif
30.gif

kellyfish

Brilliant_Rock
I love your common sense approach Cutnut!

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
You need to post the total carat weight = or the side stones weight, stats, etc. You must have that on your paperwork, no? It would also be helpful to see photos both close up and on the finger so people can help see if you can get something better online.

And if you did a search here you''d see a lot of threads about Jared, not a lot of it very good I''m afraid.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
if you can buy just the setting and band from jared''s, why not do that, then buy a diamond from an online vendor and have them set it. i''m not sure if that would work to your budget, but you could finance the settings if you have the cash on hand for the diamond.

here is a listing of diamonds from GOG in your size - for GIA certed (so you know the color and clarity are spot on) and ideal H&A cuts (beauties) it looks like you would pay about 200 - 300 more for the same carat size with higher color and clarity (maybe even quite a bit higher if the jared''s diamond does not come with a GIA cert). when looking at the prices on this page, keep in mind it doesn''t include the PS discount, you''ll see that when you click on the individual diamonds, and if you go down to I/SI1 like the jared''s one, it looks like you could save about $500 (i saw one for $1500), and get better cut and probably better color/clarity because their rating could be off if not GIA (or AGS) certed.

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamondResults.php?shape=1&ctMin=.5&ctMax=.75&clarity=112&color=127&sym=&polish=&agsCutGrd=&giaCutGrd=&cert=&certNum=&optSym=&tblMin=&tblMax=&depthMin=&depthMax=&crnAMin=&crnAMax=&crnDMin=&crnDMax=&pavAMin=&pavAMax=&pavDMin=&pavDMax=&grdlMin=&grdlMax=&fluo=&priceMin=&priceMax=&wireMin=&wireMax=&widthMin=&widthMax=&lenMin=&lenMax=&culet=&depthPctMin=&depthPctMax=&upGrdlMin=&upGrdlMax=&lowGrdlMin=&lowGrdlMax=&dateMin=&dateMax=&inHouse=&resultsColumns=268435471

good luck!!

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
one other option, if you can get pics of the setting you bought, is to contact mark turnowski at engagement rings direct and talk to him about it (email him the pics for reference). he can get you great diamonds and can make you the setting/band (with some tweaks so it avoids copyright infringement). his pricing is very reasonable and from what i''ve seen on here his custom work is very nice. not sure if he offers financing, but you can ask, and again his pricing is often touted as being very good, so that might help. and you''ll most likely get much better quality on both the diamond and setting/band than jared''s!

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 10/26/2007 1:11:12 AM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)
Be careful that buyers remorse does not conflict with the symbolism of the moment.
Only you and your partner can make those kinds of judgements - but consider how she would feel vs how long you will feel bad.
In may case after 2 long marriages I know that my fears and worries as a guy are less important than a womens feelings.

A happy wife = a happy life

or
1.gif
30.gif
=
9.gif
30.gif
Well said Garry! There''s a saying we have here ... If mama ain''t happy ... NOBODY''S HAPPY!
9.gif

Puddleglum

Rough_Rock
I appreciate the advice from you guys so far.

The total Carat weight is 1.42

I actually am going to pick up the ring today, so I''ll post some pics and let you guys see what you think. I know she''s going to be thrilled, and you are probably right, that''s the most important thing. I just will feel good knowing that there''s an excellent standard of quality on her finger, because she''s very important to me, and I want to be sure that she''s wearing something nice, even if kinda small.

I found a beautiful ring on JamesAllen.com last night, and only wish that they offered the financing that Jared does.

Puddleglum

Rough_Rock
Also, the ring that I got looks very similar to the Pave Petite on the Knox website.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a tough tough situation. I totally agree with Garry. I would say something completely different if you happened to look at a ring at Jareds that you both liked, and then came back here with the question, could I find something that looks similar that''s a better quality? and we would help you look for it. As far as your girlfriend''s concerned, is this "The Ring"? If so, you may not want to mess with it, and let her have her feeling about it.

I remember when my husband and I picked out my engagement ring. Since we were on a limited budget and I didn''t like anything I saw set, at an antique jewelry store I got to pick out a little emerald (.56 carat), and got it set into a 14k setting with a 4 point diamond on each side. I was so thrilled because it was a) beautiful, b)I got to help putting it together, and c) my to be husband could afford it. I didn''t really know anything about stones at that time but I didn''t care.

I guess I''m saying you don''t want to take away from the sentimentality of the occasion. What I''m afraid of is that you can find a similar look, but then find out the quality you REALLY want will be higher than what you got at Jareds. Then what will you do? Also the internet places I don''t believe have payment plans. A 0 interest credit card will take care of that, but again, not sure how long that would take, it won''t have the immediacy of what you did.

DivaDiamond007

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with the others. If your gf likes the ring and it was in your budget then I wouldn''t worry about it. Maybe you could find better quality online, but in real life most people don''t care where the ring/diamond is from or that it''s the most perfect of perfect stones. If she''s happy and you''re happy then be happy and have fun planning your wedding!
37.gif

~Jess~

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree that being happy with your purchase is the most important part. Yes, getting a good deal is great, but your FI''s happiness about the ring that she will wear with such proud sentiment is what really matters. Post some pics if you can, or see if you can find it on the website (I know that they have some settings listed). Most important, enjoy this exciting time!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results