shape
carat
color
clarity

Matte finish that lasts?

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Okay, this is not a colored stone question, but I'm more comfortable on this forum than anywhere else on PS.

Is there some way of putting a matte finish on my 18K yellow gold engagement ring setting that will stay matte?

The original matte finish from WhiteFlash did not last and showed every scratch. so Quest put a high polish on it after replacing the custom head. There's a thread about the reset here, ([URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/thanks-to-quest-jewelers-for-my-reset.163316/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/thanks-to-quest-jewelers-for-my-reset.163316/[/URL]).

If there is no matte finish that lasts, is there some way to keep it up at home?

DSCN1903crop2.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know if there's a matte finish that will last. I think they need to be maintained. I have a platinum ring with a matte finish and it also shows every scratch. I would imagine it would be even worse to maintain than gold (????)

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, TL. How often do you take it to your jeweler to get refinished? There a jeweler near me that sells matte finish jewelry and I bet I can buy a matching band and ask her to put a matte finish on this ring.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I was wearing it all the time, it needed refinishing every few months. It was nuts. I just don't wear it that much anymore. :((

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Matte does tend to show scratches - some more than others. However, you can touch it up yourself using some fine steel wool or those green scrubbies (for dishes). Use a light, circular motion and try to avoid the inside area of the burnished set diamonds. Try it out on a cheap silver ring first to get the hang of it (its easy but it is always comforting to see the results beforehand).

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was also told that over time, the piece will lose metal if you keep refinishing it. :blackeye:

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Lady_disdain and TL. I am okay with this setting losing metal. I have no sentimental attachment and would just get it remade in a better version.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Interestingly my platinum wedding band now has a patina that makes it look like a matt finish (but in a good way). It doesn't show scratches or look worn, it just looks matt. I had it polished back to it's gleaming un-matt state a few months ago but it's back to being matt now! Unfortunately I've never found yellow gold does this but certainly (for me) platinum over several months achieves the look you want and without the upkeep!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LovingDiamonds|1321574082|3064046 said:
Interestingly my platinum wedding band now has a patina that makes it look like a matt finish (but in a good way). It doesn't show scratches or look worn, it just looks matt. I had it polished back to it's gleaming un-matt state a few months ago but it's back to being matt now! Unfortunately I've never found yellow gold does this but certainly (for me) platinum over several months achieves the look you want and without the upkeep!

Unless you give the platinum itself a matte finish, which I don't recommend. That's interesting about the patina, never knew that. Most platinum is rhodium plated, so if the rhodium wears off, I guess it would go matte after a while.

kt

Shiny_Rock
When I took a metalsmithing class we put matte finish on our pieces by using 3M buffing paper - it comes in various grits but if you call up a jewelry supply house like Rio Grande I'm sure they can tell you which one to use - I don't remember offhand which one we used. But yes, in essence when you buff something with it (or ask a jeweler to sand blast something) you are basically minutely scratching the surface, which takes a minute bit of gold off. In fact, when we buffed things in class you could see the smudge of gold left on the buffing paper. But it does work very well and you can easily do it yourself. I had a pair of gold hoop earrings that I buffed into a matte finish and they looked fab!

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, LD, TL and kt. I'll definitely look into the buffing paper.

LD, you are right about YG. After a while it just gets a fine scratched look, but not the silky look of a matte finish.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results