shape
carat
color
clarity

Matching stones for earrings

misssoph

Shiny_Rock
Hello
I was wondering if I could get some guidance. I have found a ideal cutstone I like at a good price from one of the usual list of vendors. I am planning to buy it and look for a matching stone later. What do I need to look for in terms of specifications. For example I know I need to match table size but would 55% vs 56% be ok or would you look for closer.
Cheers

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For me, the diameters need to overlap, the table size no more than 1% difference (55-56 ok), color the same. My only problem with buying a single stone with the intent to match is that you may end up buying the match elsewhere which would make future trades so much more complicated. What size is this stone? If it is a common size, you should be okay, but if it is an odd size, I'd be hesitant to buy it without a match.

misssoph

Shiny_Rock
Thankyou diamondseeker
It is 0.41 carat
Cheers
Emma

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Emma, it is probably okay to do it, but I would usually advise buying the pair at the same time because it is easier. I have found it easiest to find matching pairs at WhiteFlash because they cut stones to certain specs and carry a good supply of stones which makes them really easy to match.

misssoph

Shiny_Rock
Dear diamond seeker. I'm sure you are right. I will just need to save up so I can buy both at the same time and hope prices don't go up too much in the meantime.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am not a stickler for super closely matching stones for earrings. I mean, you generally only see one at a time and if you do see two at a time there's a head in between and usually a lot of movement. I mean, diamonds that are beside each other in a ring are an entirely different story.

Nothing wrong with seeking out a perfect match, but IMO there can be a lot of difference between ear stones without it being noticeable. Unless they're in your hand.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1309526038|2959807 said:
Emma, it is probably okay to do it, but I would usually advise buying the pair at the same time because it is easier. I have found it easiest to find matching pairs at WhiteFlash because they cut stones to certain specs and carry a good supply of stones which makes them really easy to match.

Agreed. WF has a great database and makes it a cinch to find a pair of matching stones for earrings by clicking on the find matching diamonds button.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results