shape
carat
color
clarity

matching diamonds - color grade

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

djgaloot

Rough_Rock
I am narrowing down my wish list for diamonds for my wife''s anniversary ring (20th). It will be a five-stone graduated diamond design. I have decided that my order of importance is cut, cut, cut, color, clarity. Carets are determined by the design. The center stone will be approximately .5ct then the side stones will be about .35ct and .2ct. I will be looking for all H&As or close in a VS2-VS1. My question is about color. The stones will be right next to each other. I am thinking I would like all E or F for a very white appearance. If I need to go down to a G for the center stone, will it be noticable if the side stones are E? Would I be giving up much if I went all G?

Thanks for any advice you fine folks can give me.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Hey Dave~

Check out my post here in Rocky Talk on Early Mother's Day for my pics. Also, go to the Show Me the Ring forum and look at pics there. That should help you with thoughts on color.

My A Cut Above from White Flash is H color set in white gold and is BLAZING white. Everytime I look at my pendant in the mirror I can't even imagine how white a D,E,F, or even G would be. I previewed the H and a J. The color difference in the 2 such GREAT CUT diamonds was ever so slight, face up, side by side.

The look of the ring you are thinking about might be enhanced with graduated color as well as size diamonds. Maybe G in the center with H on the sides. Or F in the center, flanked by G, and then H on the sides. Draw eye attention upward to the center diamond kind of idea. Just a thought and definitely a question to ask an expert.
2.gif

Abazias

Rough_Rock
I would like to congratulate you on two things: first, your 20-year anniversary and second, on doing your homework and realizing that the cut of a diamond is the most important factor. I recommend you stay within one color grade and not go below G color. When the diamonds are next to each other, the naked eye really will not be able to see a difference between an F-G however; you can see a little difference between F-H. Now, give yourself a reasonable budget and work the cut, color, clarity into the equation.

Good Luck,
Felicia

djgaloot

Rough_Rock
pq,
Your pendant is beautiful. I am sure you will be thrilled everytime you wear it!

Gatorock
Thank you for your input.

I am so glad I came across this forum and learned about how important cut is, and even more so, how to determine a good cut. I guess I won't fret so much about moving to a G color if all the other specs fall into place.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Why THANK YOU DJ! for your kind compliments on my pendant.

Definitely no way would I worry about going G in color. As white as my H is in white gold, I think the "warmer" color actually enhanced the overall look. My diamond has "body" (if that makes sense) and dimension. I can only wonder about a colorless D,E, or F ACA??? Mara says there's a pic in the Show Me The Ring forum of a J in white gold. Seeing Maul stuff in J color does not even compare to the White Flash ACA J I previewed. That's like night and day!
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results