shape
carat
color
clarity

Matched set of 7mm Round Brilliant Sphene

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
What do you mean those aren't matched? They're sphene aren't they? Huh! Well if you really don't agree with me on that... take a look at them from a different angle.

Better? 8-)

I bought the oval and cushion from Tan with the intention of having them recut for earrings. I wanted something that would have presence. What better way than large precision cut sphene? :naughty:

I sent them off to Pete Brush of http://www.westerngem.com (who is completely awesome by the way) to have them recut. The only requirements I had were that they be round and more than 6.5mm.

The stones started off as a 9x8 oval and an 8mm cushion with some cut issues and somewhere in the 6cttw range

015_0.png

013_2.png

And turned into 7mm rounds... Pete worked some delicious magic on them for sure! In person they really are almost 100% the same color, it's just so bloody hard to capture. They are 2.93cttw

sphene_017.png

And some perspective with full morning sun.

sphene_013.png

sphenes_003.png

sphene_016.png

sphene_009.png

sphene_014.png

jbkhere

Brilliant_Rock
WOW WOW WOW! They are beauties! Congrats Davi!!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Really good job! Congrats to you and to Pete (isn't he known around here as "Roughy's Dad?")! Awesome cutting. So Davi, are the earrings spoken for?

derbygal

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a great idea to have those recut! I am jealous-- the color on those is amazing!!!!!! :love:

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a difference! Can't wait to see them set! :)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful! I love the green sphenes over the brown and a round should perform splendidly, even better when precision cut.

ruffysdad

Shiny_Rock
Trade
minousbijoux|1347126599|3264333 said:
Really good job! Congrats to you and to Pete (isn't he known around here as "Roughy's Dad?")! Awesome cutting. So Davi, are the earrings spoken for?

Yep, that's me :mrgreen: . I go as Roughysdad on one forum but just plain Ruffysdad on most other internet venues

Sadly though, I had to let Ruffy go on when his cancer came back last May. Even though he's gone I have faith that we'll be herding together as a team again one day. I have a new buddy named Marble pictured here but I was, am now and always will be Ruffysdad ;(

Pete (AKA Ruffysdad)

herding-2.jpg

ruffysdad

Shiny_Rock
Trade
minousbijoux|1347126599|3264333 said:

Yep, that's me :mrgreen: . I go as Roughysdad on one forum but just plain Ruffysdad on most other internet venues

Sadly though, I had to let Ruffy go on when his cancer came back last May. Even though he's gone I have faith that we'll be herding together as a team again one day. I have a new buddy named Marble pictured here but I was, am now and always will be Ruffysdad ;(

Pete (AKA Ruffysdad)

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wish we could see a video of the sphene, I bet they sparkle like crazy. Great job on the cutting.

Pete,
I'm sorry about the loss of Ruffy. :blackeye:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So sorry about Ruffy; such a loss is equal to the loss of a close family member and true friend.

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
TL|1347237447|3264935 said:
I wish we could see a video of the sphene, I bet they sparkle like crazy. Great job on the cutting.

http://youtu.be/SkqDkVsVw2w It's a little blurry, but you get the idea

Pete - Marble is beautiful!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I need shades to view the videos!

johnfish

Rough_Rock
I love the Color!!!

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
They're set!

WG half bezels :D

Ear shot :D

spheneset_001.jpg

spheneset_016.jpg

ieatbugs

Shiny_Rock
Alright, I need a pair of Sphene earrings. Did you come across anyone who sold pre-set sphenes while you were shopping for yours??

ChrisA222

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I like those stones a lot...and, it looks great set!

beau-wy

Rough_Rock
Trade
Great job Davi on the vision, and Pete on the cuts. My dealings with Pete have been 100% positive.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
What do you mean those aren't matched? They're sphene aren't they? Huh! Well if you really don't agree with me on that... take a look at them from a different angle.
:lol: Those are dazzling! High fives for Davi & Pete. I want a pair too!!! Well-thought-out project, Davi.

Pete, I feel like I know Ruffy, from here & from roaming your website -- so sorry to hear he's gone. He's family. Marble is so pretty, though -- how does he herd? I watched herding trials in Scotland -- fascinating. (Sorry for the Topic Kidnap.)

--- Laurie

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
ieatbugs|1348864323|3276145 said:
Alright, I need a pair of Sphene earrings. Did you come across anyone who sold pre-set sphenes while you were shopping for yours??

You'd be hard pressed to find anyone selling preset sphene, not exactly something most people know of (or search for.)

I'm not one to look for or buy premade, so I didn't really do much searching like that. But! You can find sphenes in decent sizes and colors for a good price and go the route I did :D These started out as 6cttw stones and ended up 2.93cttw so I lost over 50%. They were originally cut for weight, so what I really lost was a bulging belly (if only it were to lose a bulging belly on me!).

If you're not comfortable with that, I'd ask Pete Brush (he recut these for me) about some of the sphene rough he has on his website. IIRC he has some lovely yellowish rough that he could get a matched set.

And make sure your jeweler (or bench) is well versed in what sphene is... SOFT

If you don't have a local jeweler you trust, I can recommend my jeweler Barbara Oliver (in Buffalo) or an Etsy vendor or two who could help you out.

Chris- Thanks- They look amazing set! The half bezels allow enough light in to really shine, while adding some contrast for a real show! :D

Beau - Thanks! Yep Pete is fantastic! I have seen some other stuff he cut for another PS'er and it was marvelous as well.

Laurie - Thanks, I hope you can get some earrings... OOOH and a necklace... a sweet suite of sphene!

ieatbugs

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for your response!

I'm still struggling with finding a really great bench jeweler so that's why I was considering premade. I just haven't found anyone who seems really knowledgeable in Baltimore, and I wouldn't want to chance 'experimenting' with a jeweler with something so soft. Sigh!

Thank you very much for the recommendation for Pete Brush :)

davi_el_mejor|1348927087|3276434 said:
ieatbugs|1348864323|3276145 said:

You'd be hard pressed to find anyone selling preset sphene, not exactly something most people know of (or search for.)

I'm not one to look for or buy premade, so I didn't really do much searching like that. But! You can find sphenes in decent sizes and colors for a good price and go the route I did :D These started out as 6cttw stones and ended up 2.93cttw so I lost over 50%. They were originally cut for weight, so what I really lost was a bulging belly (if only it were to lose a bulging belly on me!).

If you're not comfortable with that, I'd ask Pete Brush (he recut these for me) about some of the sphene rough he has on his website. IIRC he has some lovely yellowish rough that he could get a matched set.

And make sure your jeweler (or bench) is well versed in what sphene is... SOFT

If you don't have a local jeweler you trust, I can recommend my jeweler Barbara Oliver (in Buffalo) or an Etsy vendor or two who could help you out.

Chris- Thanks- They look amazing set! The half bezels allow enough light in to really shine, while adding some contrast for a real show! :D

Beau - Thanks! Yep Pete is fantastic! I have seen some other stuff he cut for another PS'er and it was marvelous as well.

Laurie - Thanks, I hope you can get some earrings... OOOH and a necklace... a sweet suite of sphene!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Per-made options are very limited, and even less on stones other than sapphires. Once a whole, ACStones offer per-made earrings.

Davi,
They look great on you. Awesome choice of setting too.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results