shape
carat
color
clarity

Matched pair - Richard Homer freshly cut for me!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Gale

Shiny_Rock
While in Tuscon, Richard happened upon a parcel of Zambian amethyst. He was quite excited about this find as the mine in question has apparently been closed for a number of years. Here''s what Richard has to say about the stones:

"in my monitor the gems look a bit too bright and too bluish. In real life, they are a bit deeper in
color and a bit more saturate in their "purplishness". That is what I
love so much about Zambian Amethyst. Uruguayan has a wonderful deep
color but nothing beats Zambian for purity of color....it is such an
electric color and seeing Amethyst with red flashes has long been the
telltale sign of the finest quality...these gems have LOTS of red
flashes."

I am not yet committed to a setting type for these, other than they will be earrings on some sort of shepherd''s hook. Any advice? They are on their way to me via registered mail, and after Canada Customs has their way with me, I shall probably have them in hand sometime next week.

Richard was absolutely amazing to work with. He is a consumate professional, wonderful human being, and seems to be in love with his work. This is the BEST consumer experience I have ever had. I cannot believe that I am actually about to have these wonderous stones in my hands in the next few days.

5237Zamysqcushmpr.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those look awesome!
30.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
awesome!

bstraszheim

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Gale,

What a beautiful pair of stones. The colour is just amazing! I think that they would look wonderful in a setting like the Leon Mege one attached. There is just something so simple and graceful about these earrings.

Please post after you have had them done so we can see : )

I wish you well,

Bridget

Leon Mege cushion earrings.jpg

Layne

Shiny_Rock
wowza!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

WOW
emlove.gif
! First the green pair, now the purple.............congrats!!!! As for setting, I have diamonds set like the Leon M. pic above and love them. However I like some fluidity with earrings--so perhaps you might consider something that allows for a (very) small "dangle" thereby creating movement and some "sparkle" from these beautifully cut stones..... I have some sapphire set this way--maybe I''ll get some pics later and post them as an example.

cheers--Sharon

Gale

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for all of the comments people. And thanks for the setting ideas Bridget and Sharon. I am UNBELIEVABLY excited about these stones. I love the Leon setting, but cannot afford Leon (approx $1200 USD for a setting like that). I like the little dangle idea Sharon and would love to see your sapphires. Who does your work for you Sharon? Do you go to the same person all of the time, or do you use different jewellers?

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
3.gif
amazing!! what a beautiful pair of amethysts!!
36.gif

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
WOW, absolutely beautiful
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/23/2005 9:49:57 AM
Author: canuk-gal

....perhaps you might consider something that allows for a (very) small ''dangle'' thereby creating movement and some ''sparkle'' from these beautifully cut stones.
well
4.gif

FrenchWire.JPG

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
oooooooh, i likey likey the dangles that ana posted! your amethyst would look stunning in those!!
36.gif

Gale

Shiny_Rock
Oh Ana! I like those...

icekid

Ideal_Rock
wow beautiful stones... and Ana always seems to come up with something gorgeous!
36.gif

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
OMG- those are incredible. Lucky gal

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI Gale:

Very simple full bezel settings, stone on stone--but are consdierably smaller than your beauties......

Sapp2.JPG

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Larger stone, basket setting, but attached to a gold ball instead of another stone......

Ana''s picture/example was wonderful.......reminded me of a Yurman style he does with tourmaline, onyx, etc...

Topaz1.JPG

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK, this has nothing to do with jewellery, but he was hanging around my backyard so I thought I''d throw him in with the others.....

P.S. Gale, I have three excellent jewellers I use on a regular basis for custom work...depending on my mood, the job, and timeline......

Deer1.JPG

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh definitely the ones that Ana posted...those look like they''d be perfect for the stones!!

show final results please!

chantal990

Shiny_Rock
Wow Gale they are beautiful. If you don''t mind me asking is Richard very expensive to deal with as I would love to own one of his gems someday.

Gale

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the pretty pictures Sharon. I really like the stone on stone drop sapphires, but I like your basket setting even more. Perhaps a basket sort of thing, without the extending bar, somehow dropped with a small loop (like the stone on stones) from the shepherd''s hook, set on the diagonal a la Ana, using a Leon style sort of shepherd''s hook! I think that''s going to be it. Thanks for all the help. Your backyard visitor is quite attractive, but may prove to be difficult to incorporate into the design.

Thanks for the wonderful compliments everyone. I have been like a kid on Christmas Eve - unable to concentrate except on my amazing little darlings slowly making their way to me.

As far as pricing is concerned EmeraldGirl, check out Richard''s site at www.concavegems.com. There are many different kinds of stones and price points to choose from. If you don''t see what you are looking for, email Richard with what you''d like and your budget. I think since Colord Gemstone Nut had Regina''s sapphires cut, Richard can now do stones that are in the half carat range as well, but I am not absolutely sure about that. Richard is wonderful to converse with via email (I never found it necessary to phone him), and unless he''s out of town, he''s quite quick to respond.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Good luck in your design! Isn''t it fun?? I do love my european back style earrings (ala Leon Mage) as well as the Sherpard Hooks--gosh the choices! But I wonder if the dimensions of the stone (specifically depth) may, to a degree, dictate design. Anyway, keep us posted....look forward to the outcome!

cheers--Sharon

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Those are going to be killer earrings!
30.gif
People will have trouble looking you in the eye--they''ll be staring at your sparkling purple blazin'' lobes!
3.gif
2.gif
1.gif

Buena Girl

Brilliant_Rock
30.gif
Gorgeous color!
30.gif

Gale

Shiny_Rock
Sharon! Is it OK if I PM you about your jewellers? By the way - I just saw your last ring post - beautifu (I love bezels)!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

For sure!

cheers--Sharon

Gale

Shiny_Rock
The Zambian amethysts Richard Homer cut for me arrived this morning. Words do not adequately convey how truly beautiful these stones are. The picture, as it is displayed on my monitor, does not capture the velvety purple of these wonders of nature and artistry. I am really looking forward to having them set. Unfortunately, I cannot post pics, as I have no access to a digitai camera.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results