shape
carat
color
clarity

Mastercut gems rocktober sale!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are some incredible stones for sale, so wanted to start another thread to see what people buy! And so I can live vicariously through you guys instead of buying, since my blind fund is very empty.:cry2:

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ha, the blues have it - yay!

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was hoping someone would give that blue topaz a home. Yay!

voce

Ideal_Rock
I decided to buy these. There are some really good deals, but I stayed away from gems that cost more than $100.
38989.jpg 38218.jpg

voce

Ideal_Rock

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The pink is so pretty! I kinda wish it didnt even have the star to get in the way!

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The pink is so pretty! I kinda wish it didnt even have the star to get in the way!
I was thinking that it’s like a hybrid between a pink sapphire cab and a star, as it has a whispering star. That’s really kind of cool for those who don’t fully want a star, but want just a touch of added phenomenal effect!

Last edited:

clumberlove

Shiny_Rock
So, new items have been added to the sale... I have now officially spent the bling budget for the year in the past two weeks! (I have a bigger purchase in the works too :oops2:)

Picked up the following as well, now I have to stop :doh:. 1.83ct unheated tanzanite, 1.23ct mahenge garnet. 36625.jpg 38005.jpg

blingbunny10

Brilliant_Rock
So, new items have been added to the sale... I have now officially spent the bling budget for the year in the past two weeks! (I have a bigger purchase in the works too :oops2:)

Picked up the following as well, now I have to stop :doh:. 1.83ct unheated tanzanite, 1.23ct mahenge garnet. 36625.jpg 38005.jpg

So curious what these will look like in person. The Mahenge garnet looks different (more orange than purple/peach tones) from the others that were very popular a few months ago.

I also wonder, does anyone know if new items are added in a certain order? They don’t seem to pop up on the first or last pages of the sale, so I always end up reviewing every single item until I hit new ones. I’m sure there’s a better way and I’m just clueless...

clumberlove

Shiny_Rock
So curious what these will look like in person. The Mahenge garnet looks different (more orange than purple/peach tones) from the others that were very popular a few months ago.

I also wonder, does anyone know if new items are added in a certain order? They don’t seem to pop up on the first or last pages of the sale, so I always end up reviewing every single item until I hit new ones. I’m sure there’s a better way and I’m just clueless...

I hope the tanzanite is close to the pictures, I know it's not the industry favoured colour, but I prefer the "peacock" sort of colouring of the unheated stones.

Dana's description of the garnet is that the colour is "vivid pink", so I'm curious what colour it is IRL. There was a hand shot in the original listing that looked more pink. Screenshot_20181021-163350_Firefox.jpg

As for finding the new listings, I've been doing the same as you! They seem to be in reverse order of the Gem ID number, so unless they are completely new to the site they show up in random order. I haven't found any other way to sort the listings, unfortunately!

Vogue

Shiny_Rock
I told my friend I'd get her an interesting gemstone for Christmas that wouldn't break the bank. She has told me she loves flaws in gems, because people are flawed.

I'm guessing this 11 ct unheated ruby qualifies. It's $42. Holy smokes.

ruby-11ct.jpg
ruby2.jpg
It's interesting, we were just talking about the song "Ruby Tuesday" earlier today, and then I found this ruby...on a Tuesday. Maybe it's meant to be!

Hivona

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I bought three gems, two of which I have been keeping an eye on since spring time! The third was an impulse buy! Of course I didn't take screen shots of them and now they are off the website... I bought a tourmaline, garnet, and spinel. Will post pictures once I receive the gems!

blingbunny10

Brilliant_Rock
I hope the tanzanite is close to the pictures, I know it's not the industry favoured colour, but I prefer the "peacock" sort of colouring of the unheated stones.

Dana's description of the garnet is that the colour is "vivid pink", so I'm curious what colour it is IRL. There was a hand shot in the original listing that looked more pink. Screenshot_20181021-163350_Firefox.jpg

As for finding the new listings, I've been doing the same as you! They seem to be in reverse order of the Gem ID number, so unless they are completely new to the site they show up in random order. I haven't found any other way to sort the listings, unfortunately!

Ah the gem ID thing makes total sense.

I’m with you on the unheated tanzanite. I know the deeper colors are more favored and they are beautiful, but if I had the money I’d prefer to find that color in more durable sapphire. The blue green purple tanzanite (peacock is a great descriptor!) looks wonderful. I’ve never seen those in person, only in vendor pics.

voce

Ideal_Rock
I told my friend I'd get her an interesting gemstone for Christmas that wouldn't break the bank. She has told me she loves flaws in gems, because people are flawed.

I'm guessing this 11 ct unheated ruby qualifies. It's $42. Holy smokes.

ruby-11ct.jpg
ruby2.jpg
It's interesting, we were just talking about the song "Ruby Tuesday" earlier today, and then I found this ruby...on a Tuesday. Maybe it's meant to be!
Yay, I'm so glad that ruby finally found a home! I like gems with "flaws" too, but I like to think of them as unique characteristics through which I can find out more about gemology. I've admired that ruby cab many times but since it's not a calibrated size I was unsure I would set it if I bought it. I think it is meant to be, for your gift to your friend!

Chasiu

Shiny_Rock
I picked up a few stones, waiting for them to be shipped to me still! My cousin is having her first baby in January so in particular I've been hunting for red garnets for her. Then of course I saw some other stones that caught my eyes :lol: I was really tempted to buy one of the star sapphires but had to contain myself. Now to figure out how I'm going to use these!

3.26ct Nigerian Red Spessartite
Nigeria Spessartite.jpg
3.62 Rhodesian Rhodolite
Rhodesia Rhodolite-1.jpg
1.74ct Afghanistan Tourmaline
Afghanistan Tourmaline-1.jpg
4.77ct Pakistan Peridot Pair
Pakistan Peridots-1.jpg
.875 and .625 Ruby pairs
Burma Rubies-1.jpg Burma Rubies-3.jpg

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'm so curious to see pics of that tanzanite, it looks beautiful! The unheated/zoned ones are so stunning and hard to find nicely cut.

Vogue

Shiny_Rock
Thoughts on this spinel? Would it be too dark when set?

spinel1.jpg
spinel2.jpg

clumberlove

Shiny_Rock
I picked up a few stones, waiting for them to be shipped to me still! My cousin is having her first baby in January so in particular I've been hunting for red garnets for her. Then of course I saw some other stones that caught my eyes :lol: I was really tempted to buy one of the star sapphires but had to contain myself. Now to figure out how I'm going to use these!

3.26ct Nigerian Red Spessartite
Nigeria Spessartite.jpg
3.62 Rhodesian Rhodolite
Rhodesia Rhodolite-1.jpg
1.74ct Afghanistan Tourmaline
Afghanistan Tourmaline-1.jpg
4.77ct Pakistan Peridot Pair
Pakistan Peridots-1.jpg
.875 and .625 Ruby pairs
Burma Rubies-1.jpg Burma Rubies-3.jpg

I almost bought that tourmaline, but I had to restrain myself! It was in my cart for a while. It is a dangerous sale they are having :whistle:. I'm sure your friend will love that garnet, fingers crossed the baby arrives in January! Otherwise I guess you'll just have to keep it and do some more gem shopping :P2

suzanne2

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thoughts on this spinel? Would it be too dark when set?

spinel1.jpg
spinel2.jpg

Although spinels have great brilliance, they are shifty little guys. I would guess that yours would be dark in a setting.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Vogue I think that is quite dark, unless you like a darker colour. It looks like it will be even darker in a setting and in dim light....which is very dark.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results