shape
carat
color
clarity

Mass shooting du jour

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Guns don't kill people.... Republican congressman who continue to let this happen kill people. I'm sure there are a few democrat congressman thrown in there too.

Three, two, one ....waiting to get crucified for my comment
Crucify a liberal??...that's against PS policy ...:whistle:

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
First time I've met the word. I thought the origin of the word was a clever combination of theology and idiocy but then I had to go and look up its origin which isn't as fun as I'd hoped.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There is a shot and everyone pulls out their gun. A man sees a dark skinned guy with a gun out (must be the shooter) and lets off a round. Another man sees that young guy shoot (looks like a Nazi supporter type - must be the shooter) and lets off a round. A woman sees that man (he’s wearing dark clothing and looks suspicious - must be the shooter) and lets off a shot. When everyone has pulled out their gun, and is having to make a split second decision about who is the crazed shooter with a gun, everyone could look like the crazed shooter with the gun.

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I did not mean to imply that every law enforcement official panics every time. I meant that it happens, and it happens more often than you'd think. I mean, an awfully high percentage of those unarmed black men who get shot and killed have been shot precisely because LE panicked. And I know the difference between panic and fear. I've been in some pretty hairy situations and I've seen it-- particularly with a rapidly unfolding confusing situation.

Not just unarmed black men - Justine Diamond, a 40 year-old unarmed white woman, was shot and killed by a Minneapolis police officer because the cop was startled by a loud noise outside the car. She is the one that called the police to investigate what sounded like sexual assault to her and she ended up dead. I imagine the cop thought the loud noise was a gun going off. Why wouldn't he? He was in America after all.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Justine Diamond was Australian. Here in Australia, when you call the police for an issue, when they arrive you go up to them to tell them you were the one who called, why you called and where / what the problem is. Australian Police never have to think someone approaching them has a gun and is coming up to shoot them, here it is normal that the bad people run away from the police.

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Justine Diamond was Australian. Here in Australia, when you call the police for an issue, when they arrive you go up to them to tell them you were the one who called, why you called and where / what the problem is. Australian Police never have to think someone approaching them has a gun and is coming up to shoot them, here it is normal that the bad people run away from the police.

It amazes me that US LE officers aren't out en masse advocating for more and better gun regulation among civilians.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There is a shot and everyone pulls out their gun. A man sees a dark skinned guy with a gun out (must be the shooter) and lets off a round. Another man sees that young guy shoot (looks like a Nazi supporter type - must be the shooter) and lets off a round. A woman sees that man (he’s wearing dark clothing and looks suspicious - must be the shooter) and lets off a shot. When everyone has pulled out their gun, and is having to make a split second decision about who is the crazed shooter with a gun, everyone could look like the crazed shooter with the gun.

When I read this description of an American shooting scene I immediately thought of a scene in, "Did You Hear About The Morgans?" a cute little comedy starring Sarah Jessica Parker and Hugh Grant as two New Yorkers placed in witness protection in Wyoming. The basic gag is that they do not fit in in Wyoming. They do not shoot rifles; they do not ride horses; and they do not know what to do if they meet a bear.

The scene of which I was reminded came towards the end of the film when the villain (a professional killer) from Back East came to Wyoming to kill them and almost did so. They wound up at the town's rodeo, however, and in a great showdown, every person in town draws a gun on the villain, one after the other. It was the classic western that people like me grew up on. The viewer loves it. In real life it might not be so copacetic.

Deb

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just read that the gun used in this killing spree was capable of firing 30 bullets in 5 SECONDS. SIckening!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
...and I just read that he broke his infant son's (or stepson's) skull in that domestic violence episode and was once charged with animal cruelty towards his pit bull puppy (whom he also hit in the head).

Texas Gunman Broke Skull of Infant Stepson in 2012 Assault

By DAVE PHILIPPS and RICHARD A. OPPEL Jr.NOV. 6, 2017

"COLORADO SPRINGS — Before a gunman entered a rural Texas church with a ballistic vest and a military-style rifle, killing at least 26 people on Sunday, he was convicted of assaulting his wife and breaking his infant stepson’s skull.

In 2012, while stationed at Holloman Air Force Base in New Mexico, Devin P. Kelley, 26, was charged with “assault on his spouse and assault on their child,” according to the Air Force.

'He assaulted his stepson severely enough that he fractured his skull, and he also assaulted his wife,” said Don Christensen, a retired colonel who was the chief prosecutor for the Air Force. “He pled to intentionally doing it.'

He was sentenced in November of that year to 12 months’ confinement and reduction to the lowest possible rank. After his confinement, he was discharged from the military with a bad conduct discharge. It is unclear whether his conviction would have barred him from purchasing a gun.

The case marked a long downward slide that included divorce and being charged with animal cruelty.

After Sunday’s shooting, friends from New Braunfels, Tex., where he went to high school, expressed shock, remembering how Mr. Kelley was a friendly, if awkward, teenager who in recent years grew so dark that many unfriended him on Facebook.

(snip)

After Mr. Kelley was discharged from the Air Force in 2014, he remarried in Texas, to Danielle Lee Shields, in April of that year, according to state records.

A few months later, he registered to vote in Colorado Springs — a city with several Air Force bases — listing his address as parking space 60 the Fountain Creek RV Park.

A woman living in a camper next door, who gave her name only as Susan, said a man of similar age and description lived in spot 60 for a few months during that time, but she never learned his name.

'He was kind of off, lived here with a woman,' she said as she loaded blankets into one of the RV park’s washing machines.

He said hello a few times in passing but was never friendly and stayed only a few months, she said. She never heard any arguments from his trailer.

'The only thing that sticks out about him was his dog,' she said.

He had a pit bull puppy that he kept tied up in the sun all day outside of his RV, she said. She also recalled an incident in which the police were called because the man had struck the dog in the head."

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
He could have purchased his gun at a gun show @Arkteia There are many loopholes at these shows and it is easy to purchase a gun at them.

True. So maybe it is the time to close these loopholes? And, as I was always saying, buy an insurance for each gun a person owns, like we have to buy for each car we own? (Then there will be one more checkpoint - insurance companies). Insurance companies are also a very big business here, maybe bigger than NRA, but unlike NRA, they do some checking.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And, of course, now is the question, "how could he legally buy a gun"? The link below mentions the place where he bought it.

"Kelley bought a Ruger AR-556 rifle, used in the attack on the church in Sutherland Springs, Texas, in April of last year from an Academy Sports & Outdoors store in San Antonio, a law-enforcement official told CNN."

Not even a gun show...

http://www.businessinsider.com/texa...trick-gun-law-felon-domestic-violence-2017-11

And he bought it legally... because his Bad Conduct discharge was NOT submitted to the FBI

How? Why?

https://www.ksat.com/news/sutherlan...round-checks-for-gun-purchases-in-san-antonio

t-c

Brilliant_Rock
I was listening to the press conference with law enforcement: the shooter emptied 15 magazines during his spree.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And, of course, now is the question, "how could he legally buy a gun"? The link below mentions the place where he bought it.

"Kelley bought a Ruger AR-556 rifle, used in the attack on the church in Sutherland Springs, Texas, in April of last year from an Academy Sports & Outdoors store in San Antonio, a law-enforcement official told CNN."

Not even a gun show...

http://www.businessinsider.com/texa...trick-gun-law-felon-domestic-violence-2017-11

And he bought it legally... because his Bad Conduct discharge was NOT submitted to the FBI

How? Why?

https://www.ksat.com/news/sutherlan...round-checks-for-gun-purchases-in-san-antonio

Zero surprises here. Hubs and I had this discussion this morning, and pretty much thought that the Air Force probably wasn't all that keen on this particular requirement on them, since organizations like that are all about face and avoiding public embarrassment. Reporting that means airing dirty laundry to federal law enforcement. The horror! So even though he served a full year, which would be a felony in the outside world, and probably should have gotten him a full dishonorable discharge, someone (who is probably going to be hung out to twist in the wind) downgraded his discharge so it wouldn't looks so bad for the Air Force. Then, maybe someone higher up went HOLY S***!! You weren't supposed to DO that! Better slow walk that puppy and hope it gets lost in the shuffle." Of course, there is still some question, in my mind anyway, if "bad conduct" had it been properly reported (if improperly labeled) to the FBI, would have been enough to keep him from buying a firearm.

This is probably just a glaring demonstration of what happens when there is organizational lack of....zeal, for lack of a better word, for actually enforcing regulations and laws. Anybody want to hazard a guess that not reporting correctly and timely, turns out to be something that's been more widespread than we want to believe, or that the Air Force wants us to know about? I wonder if the public will ever hear about what they really find....

Fear of losing face combined with ideology and organizational culture, can sure make for a lot of self-serving stupidity.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Zero surprises here. Hubs and I had this discussion this morning, and pretty much thought that the Air Force probably wasn't all that keen on this particular requirement on them, since organizations like that are all about face and avoiding public embarrassment. Reporting that means airing dirty laundry to federal law enforcement. The horror! So even though he served a full year, which would be a felony in the outside world, and probably should have gotten him a full dishonorable discharge, someone (who is probably going to be hung out to twist in the wind) downgraded his discharge so it wouldn't looks so bad for the Air Force. Then, maybe someone higher up went HOLY S***!! You weren't supposed to DO that! Better slow walk that puppy and hope it gets lost in the shuffle." Of course, there is still some question, in my mind anyway, if "bad conduct" had it been properly reported (if improperly labeled) to the FBI, would have been enough to keep him from buying a firearm.

This is probably just a glaring demonstration of what happens when there is organizational lack of....zeal, for lack of a better word, for actually enforcing regulations and laws. Anybody want to hazard a guess that not reporting correctly and timely, turns out to be something that's been more widespread than we want to believe, or that the Air Force wants us to know about? I wonder if the public will ever hear about what they really find....

Fear of losing face combined with ideology and organizational culture, can sure make for a lot of self-serving stupidity.

"While mental illness isn’t a good predictor of mass shootings, a history of violence — often domestic — is." This was written in January of 2017 about FLA airport shooter. Nothing new here.

This guy it seems had a severe history of DV and later, in Colorado, was cruel to his dog.

If the first episode (or the second one) would somehow get into the database, it might have changed the things. I am not a 100% sure as I suspect he was thinking of something like it for quite a while, but maybe.

The public will not hear about the results of Air Force evaluation that is going now because the tendency is to hush up anything about mass shootings. After a while, I can not find anything new about many mass shooters. Wrong approach, I think.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well I guess I missed this entire discussion. The Air Force has some explaining to do because his conviction should have been reported and entered into the NICS system so that he would be unable to purchase any weapons. Holloman Air Force Base will likely have some visitors and I imagine a review of how criminal information is reported across the services will happen. I am so heart broken for the people of the town. One family lost 8 people.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So let me be clear:

god protects US because we allow guns?

Ah the vengeful god. I get it.

I am not going to share specifics but there are members in law enforcement and IL has a CCW law.
Carry is also legal in a private dwelling without a CCW which a Church is considered.

Kenny I know you don't like discussing religion so out of respect I avoid it with you but you directly asked so I will answer.

Yes God protects us.
Part of that protection is living in a country were the right to self defense is a right and the tools are available to do so.
Part of that protection is Men and Woman who are willing to put their life at stake to protect others.
It does not mean that nothing bad will ever happen to the people there.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And in the ultimate sad irony, this.

http://taskandpurpose.com/texas-shooting-air-force-robert-corrigan/

(comment directed toward the culture, not any individual in this sad farce):
We create the world to mirrow what we hold in our minds. Not because it's some sort of magic, but because the weight of people holding similar ideas means a heavy weight of similar choices that pushes a culture along with it. We have allowed ourselves to consume war and violence, and told ourselves that it is the ultimate expression of power, for so long now, that it has become true. So, live by the sword, die by the sword.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's fvcking hilarious!

Next time my SO's heart stops instead of a trip to the ER I'm gonna think and pray.
What a time saver, not to mention so much cheaper.
Praise God.

Well, if it doesn’t work,just remember that was the plan all along!

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Last edited:

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
What the heck?

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/07/...171107&nl=breaking-news&nlid=68385925&ref=cta

I mean, how much more do people need to do before they are reported to FBI?

Would it have mattered if he had been reported? I doubt it. Adam Lanza was known to have serious mental health issues. Someone alerted LE to his plans and access to weapons and was told by the cops that there was nothing they could do. http://nypost.com/2017/10/26/sandy-hook-shooter-told-someone-about-gruesome-plot-and-cops-knew/

I'm not paying a lot of attention to the details of this latest incident but if this Texan guy hadn't been able to buy his fancy super-efficient human pulp maker legally he likely would have been able to get one some other way.

Maybe you are suggesting that if he had been reported he would have been detained. For what? For how long? Eventually he would have to be freed if he hadn't done anything yet and eventually he'd find a way to get his killing machine.

There are millions of these guns out there. When they are not being used to render small children into a pile of bloody flesh, they are sooooo fun to shoot! Most of the time people are using them to have FUN. Once in a great while (well, lately monthly) they are used to kill a bunch of people all at once. Can we really expect to take away the fun of millions of people just because there are a couple of crazies* out there? That would be spoiling it for everyone!

(Some of us prefer "evil" and "horrific" to "crazy." I am in no way suggesting that all mentally ill people are violent.)

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Maria D , One would think it would be a pretty easy to find something else fun to do after hearing what these weapons have been used to do the past 6 weeks.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would it have mattered if he had been reported? I doubt it. Adam Lanza was known to have serious mental health issues. Someone alerted LE to his plans and access to weapons and was told by the cops that there was nothing they could do. http://nypost.com/2017/10/26/sandy-hook-shooter-told-someone-about-gruesome-plot-and-cops-knew/

I'm not paying a lot of attention to the details of this latest incident but if this Texan guy hadn't been able to buy his fancy super-efficient human pulp maker legally he likely would have been able to get one some other way.

Maybe you are suggesting that if he had been reported he would have been detained. For what? For how long? Eventually he would have to be freed if he hadn't done anything yet and eventually he'd find a way to get his killing machine.

There are millions of these guns out there. When they are not being used to render small children into a pile of bloody flesh, they are sooooo fun to shoot! Most of the time people are using them to have FUN. Once in a great while (well, lately monthly) they are used to kill a bunch of people all at once. Can we really expect to take away the fun of millions of people just because there are a couple of crazies* out there? That would be spoiling it for everyone!

(Some of us prefer "evil" and "horrific" to "crazy." I am in no way suggesting that all mentally ill people are violent.)

Yes we can.
And we should. Because experience of Australia shows that tighter gun laws do not destroy the country. But they significantly decrease gun-related homicides.

https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2017/10/australia-gun-control/541710/

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results